Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 5: McLaren Vale -> Old Wilunga Hill, 151.5km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

26 Jan 2013 04:46

Impressive stuff from Slagter.The doubters know who you are.:rolleyes:
User avatar Telmisartan new

26 Jan 2013 04:47

This is a great day for Slagter. He has been overshadowed by other climbers like Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk and Kelderman in the team, because these four are supposedly more talented. But now Slagter will get recognition as a WT stage race contender.

He reminds me of Purito. Such powerful acceleration on short steep climbs.
User avatar TheEnoculator

26 Jan 2013 04:47

Great Tiago! He deserves the podium on GC.
My personal blog (in portuguese): http://www.carrovassoura.blogspot.pt
User avatar Rui Quinta

26 Jan 2013 04:48

Geraint Too Fast wrote:Complete hyperbole.

:confused: How is that hyperbole?
JRanton

26 Jan 2013 04:48

CQmanager wrote:Was it just me watching online or did everyone else seen just the winner and nothing else but trees and trees and trees? At least online they didnt show what happened after Gerrans crossed the line. If I'm not alone, this race really is a real joke.

Edit: maybe not the race but the event organizers and TV coverage.

If you looked carefully through your coloured glasses you would have seen a massive crowd.
User avatar the asian

26 Jan 2013 04:49

Museeuw wrote:Any sign of Gilbert or Visconti?

I think we might have gone for the same bet ;)

Gilbert was at least in the big group that survived the first ascent. Couldn't see Visconti, but he might have been there.
User avatar Squire

26 Jan 2013 04:50

TheEnoculator wrote:This is a great day for Slagter. He has been overshadowed by other climbers like Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk and Kelderman in the team, because these four are supposedly more talented. But now Slagter will get recognition as a WT stage race contender.

Purito is his idol.

Hopefully this is the start of many good things to come.
User avatar the asian

26 Jan 2013 04:50

TheEnoculator wrote:This is a great day for Slagter. He has been overshadowed by other climbers like Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk and Kelderman in the team, because these four are supposedly more talented. But now Slagter will get recognition as a WT stage race contender.

The latter is true, he even has the same height and weight as Purito (as per Wikipedia, of course).

But he's not a stage racer, that's what they've been trying to make him, but the really long climbs are just a bit too much for him, thus far. He actually had a free role in the Giro last year, and he managed 30th. But he did show his awesomeness in Assisi.
theyoungest

26 Jan 2013 04:53

theyoungest wrote:The latter is true, he even has the same height and weight as Purito (as per Wikipedia, of course).

But he's not a stage racer, that's what they've been trying to make him, but the really long climbs are just a bit too much for him, thus far. He actually had a free role in the Giro last year, and he managed 30th. But he did show his awesomeness in Assisi.

He should concentrate on the Ardennes classics.

The old Amstel finishing on the Cauberg would have been perfect for him.
User avatar the asian

26 Jan 2013 04:55

JRanton wrote::confused: How is that hyperbole?

He just cracked. He didn't completely implode.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast

26 Jan 2013 04:58

Squire wrote:I think we might have gone for the same bet ;)

Gilbert was at least in the big group that survived the first ascent. Couldn't see Visconti, but he might have been there.

Probably. :)

Just wondering if Visconti was one of those 3 Movistar guys setting the pace?
Museeuw

26 Jan 2013 04:58

the asian wrote:If you looked carefully through your coloured glasses you would have seen a massive crowd.

Don't worry, he's yet to make a positive post and even his objections are inadequately stated.
Ferminal

26 Jan 2013 05:06

Geraint Too Fast wrote:He just cracked. He didn't completely implode.

It was an implosion. Not only did he lose 28 seconds to Slagter but he lost 12 seconds in just 600m to the biggest group of contenders who came in at +16 down.

Did he even make the top 20?
JRanton

26 Jan 2013 05:07

CQmanager wrote:Was it just me watching online or did everyone else seen just the winner and nothing else but trees and trees and trees? At least online they didnt show what happened after Gerrans crossed the line. If I'm not alone, this race really is a real joke.

Yeah, the coverage at the race finish was not great but overall the race is very well organised. You can not deny that.
Geraint Too Fast wrote:He just cracked. He didn't completely implode.

He kind of did. Went out ot the back in a short period of time very quickly.

Well done to Slagter but I must say that it was good to see Santaromita climbing so well, he looked great on the climb, going with Machado.

Santaromita has retweeted my tweet about him riding the best I have seen in a long time! :p
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

26 Jan 2013 05:23

JRanton wrote:It was an implosion. Not only did he lose 28 seconds to Slagter but he lost 12 seconds in just 600m to the biggest group of contenders who came in at +16 down.

Did he even make the top 20?

Fair enough. Maybe tiredness is affecting my judgement, I'll see if I have a different opinion after a few hours sleep.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast

26 Jan 2013 05:25

Purito? You Dutch are the kings at over-hyping a rider. We have plenty of evidence of that.

Telmisartan new wrote:Impressive stuff from Slagter.The doubters know who you are.:rolleyes:

Oh yes, I am sure a rider at the age of 23 who is starting out his pro career has plenty of doubters! :rolleyes:

It was nice to see Blanco do so well in it's first race since loss of sponsorship. Really stick it up Rabobank's ****.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.

26 Jan 2013 05:26

Jesus, how many times have you said this? You can stop any time, no ones buying it. :rolleyes:
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

26 Jan 2013 05:29

Ferminal wrote:Don't worry, he's yet to make a positive post and even his objections are inadequately stated.

Thats the sad part. Other than the "yeeeeeah, the season finally started" excitement there really isnt that much positive about this race. Lame course, short and mostly flat stages, civilian cars driving on course, cars parked in the final Km, lame TV coverage.....whats there to cheer about?

Common man, lets keep it real and honest. This event is definitely not worth of the WT label. We all know this is just a warm up race and they gave them the WT license just because otherwise they wouldnt attract any decent teams. This way they just have to show up and they want to collect those stupid WT points.

I wont even bother watching tomorrow so go ahead and enjoy another Greipel's win over second tier field. :eek:
User avatar Jancouver

26 Jan 2013 05:29

Is both Parrulo and that Machado fan alright after he attacked early yet again with the Great Ivan Santaromita?:p

26 Jan 2013 05:47

auscyclefan94 wrote:Is both Parrulo and that Machado fan alright after he attacked early yet again with the Great Ivan Santaromita?:p

nothing that i wasn't expecting :p

if he had waited for the right time he might have gotten into the podium of the stage and GC but he wouldn't have beaten slagter so it doesn't make much difference
User avatar Parrulo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing