Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 5: McLaren Vale -> Old Wilunga Hill, 151.5km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

25 Jan 2013 10:15

G is gonna take care of this himself.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

25 Jan 2013 10:34

Housoe wrote:Gilbert did crash at that stage.

Not until after he couldn't follow the leaders.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

25 Jan 2013 10:43

Slagter I see as being a good uphill sprinter but when it comes to climbing I don't think he will stand out

Gilbert even before his crash was lagging behind.

Thomas with his finishing kick would be a good bet as he would look to keep everything together. Moreno seems very strong as was superb last year on Willunga. Hermans would be my dark horse.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

25 Jan 2013 10:45

How the hell is Thomas a better climber than Slagter?
Der Effe

25 Jan 2013 10:48

thomas will gift this stage to kash

i don't think that moreno will be stronger than g, didn't look like on corkscrew.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

25 Jan 2013 10:55

It will be interesting to see whats going to happen on the first climb of Willunga hill, will some teams try to reduce the bunch a lot? If so then it might get really hard for Thomas to controll the race, as I dont think many other Sky's will survive then.

But then again there might be some other guys looking for a stage win or riding for their GC guy that wont let other people get to far in front.
User avatar Ruudz0r

25 Jan 2013 10:55

Der Effe wrote:How the hell is Thomas a better climber than Slagter?

Thomas was better on Corkscrew, that won't change in a few days.

Perhaps Slagter will even lose a top5 after Willunga with those small gaps in GC.
User avatar Pentacycle

25 Jan 2013 10:56

This is it! the decider!

Kinda hard to make an assumption on who is going to win most of the top 10 could have a chance of winning.
Peter Sagan:
"I under-evaluated him (Gerald Ciolek) a little bit. I was watching Cancellara, who was trying to break free, and maybe I did too much work," Sagan said. "Ciolek stayed in the wheels and he took my wheel to do the sprint and was able to beat me. I went too early in the sprint."

17/03/13 Milan - San Remo

Peter Sagan:
“We went away in a break on the Oude Kwaremont, but then Cancellara went for it on the Paterberg and I wasn’t able to follow him,”

31/03/13 Tour of Flanders
User avatar HiCadence

25 Jan 2013 10:58

Teams are big, many are in play GC wise. Tight control all the way.
Dazed and Confused

25 Jan 2013 10:59

Pentacycle wrote:Thomas was better on Corkscrew, that won't change in a few days.

Perhaps Slagter will even lose a top5 after Willunga with those small gaps in GC.

Could be, yes. I didn't see that stage, I thought that Thomas just won the sprint but now I see he actually won 4 secs. My bad.
Der Effe

25 Jan 2013 11:04

Sky will have the luxury of letting Rabo do the chasing so I presume Eddy will be in a state to offer some help at the beginning of the last climb - it's so short that teams and tactics really won't make that much difference however.
Waterloo Sunrise

25 Jan 2013 11:05

Slagter ftw. Dude can climb when needed.
"You have to like the stones, yeah?" - Peter Van Petegem
User avatar *G*K*S*

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Sky will have the luxury of letting Rabo do the chasing so I presume Eddy will be in a state to offer some help at the beginning of the last climb - it's so short that teams and tactics really won't make that much difference however.

Lol, with 15 guys within 15 seconds off the lead I think Sky won't get any help at all in the chase ;)
theyoungest

Froome19 wrote:Slagter I see as being a good uphill sprinter but when it comes to climbing I don't think he will stand out

Thomas with his finishing kick would be a good bet as he would look to keep everything together. Moreno seems very strong as was superb last year on Willunga. Hermans would be my dark horse.

Hello, don't push Slagter in the 'only short hills' category.
He did finish 30th in the Giro and 4th in the Tour l'Avenir (in the edition Quintana won, which was a pretty mountainous edition)
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

25 Jan 2013 11:07

theyoungest wrote:Lol, with 15 guys within 15 seconds off the lead I think Sky won't get any help at all in the chase ;)

Depends who is in the break - they'll work to stop anyone too dangerous, but once a decent break gets away it will suit them perfectly for the bonus seconds to get mopped up.
Waterloo Sunrise

25 Jan 2013 11:10

Froome19 wrote:Slagter I see as being a good uphill sprinter but when it comes to climbing I don't think he will stand out

This is Slagter in his first pro year launching an attack for Mollema in the Vuelta, on a proper climb:

Video.

The kid can climb, maybe not in the GT contender sense but it's Willunga Hill we're talking about here.
theyoungest

25 Jan 2013 11:18

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Sky will have the luxury of letting Rabo do the chasing so I presume Eddy will be in a state to offer some help at the beginning of the last climb - it's so short that teams and tactics really won't make that much difference however.
Sky is in a similar situation Garmin was in last year's Giro. If Geraint wants to win, him and his team need to take the bull by the horns.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

25 Jan 2013 11:20

Lol how did Slagter suddenly change from a punchy climber to an uphill sprinter? Seriously guys, Willunga is only 3km, how on earth is that too long for Slagter?

Not saying he'll kill everyone or something (though he might), but the guy was always a climber, and he's built like one too (169cm and 57kg same as Purito).

I do wonder how he found enough power to outsprint Goss, Thomas and Gilbert though, on a relatively easy finish. Even Purito, who seems to have the same physique, needs a serious gradient to beat Goss, Thomas and especially Gilbert.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

25 Jan 2013 11:26

Well Gilbert as said he isn't in best form atm because he's saving himself for the classics and maybe Gossy had a bad day or maybe it was just slightly too steep for him.
Peter Sagan:
"I under-evaluated him (Gerald Ciolek) a little bit. I was watching Cancellara, who was trying to break free, and maybe I did too much work," Sagan said. "Ciolek stayed in the wheels and he took my wheel to do the sprint and was able to beat me. I went too early in the sprint."

17/03/13 Milan - San Remo

Peter Sagan:
“We went away in a break on the Oude Kwaremont, but then Cancellara went for it on the Paterberg and I wasn’t able to follow him,”

31/03/13 Tour of Flanders
User avatar HiCadence

25 Jan 2013 11:53

cineteq wrote:Sky is in a similar situation Garmin was in last year's Giro. If Geraint wants to win, him and his team need to take the bull by the horns.

You're right - I love TDU's exaggurated profiles, definitely parallels here to Mortirolo - Stelvio. :D
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing