Log in:  

Register

Can Blanco be the next HTC?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Can Blanco be the next HTC?

Yes, they have the right set-up and mix of talents
7
11%
No, they lack leaders like Stapleton, Aldag and Holm, and the riders aren't that talented
42
69%
Hard to say, depends if they can shake off their Rabo past
12
20%
 
Total votes : 61

27 Jan 2013 13:09

the asian wrote:Theo Bos is probably the fastest sprinter around, but it's hard for him to last till the finale.

If he improves his endurance and with a quality lead out man like Renshaw, you never know.


True. He and Guardini are starting to fall into the same boat for me. It would be a shame as he is a great talent.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

27 Jan 2013 13:23

Froome19 wrote:True. He and Guardini are starting to fall into the same boat for me. It would be a shame as he is a great talent.

His only WT win so far was an Eneco stage which included part of the Amstel parcours, where he beat Degenkolb. He's getting better.

I've seen photos from their latest training camp, he looks really lean.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

27 Jan 2013 13:24

The won't be the new HTC because Blanco is not a sprint team like many of you already stated. However, the quality of their victories will improve because their main riders are a year older.
User avatar GP Blanco
Junior Member
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 26 Dec 2012 11:34
Location: Bottom of a lake which used to be a sea

27 Jan 2013 13:28

Bos is not in the same boat as Guardini. Did any of you really follow last years races I wonder?

Like theyoungest said, Bos is getting better. As for climbing ability he is way above guardini (not hard). But he even won some fairly difficult races last year
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,732
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

27 Jan 2013 13:30

cineteq wrote:No, but let's talk about Blanco anyway in the thread.
Latest news indicate they will have a hard time finding a new sponsor. :(


Of course they are. If HTC with all those wins and all that exposure can't find a sponsor, then a Dutch team with the current media sure has no chance at all. If they find a new sponsor this season, it is more or less guaranteed to be one from outside the Netherlands, probably outside Europe.
Dutchsmurf
Junior Member
 
Posts: 914
Joined: 05 Jul 2010 19:49

27 Jan 2013 13:43

Dutchsmurf wrote:Of course they are. If HTC with all those wins and all that exposure can't find a sponsor, then a Dutch team with the current media sure has no chance at all. If they find a new sponsor this season, it is more or less guaranteed to be one from outside the Netherlands, probably outside Europe.


Giant might be their best bet. With Vacansoleil and DCM also ending their sponsorship this year It will be very hard.
At least one of the two will fold.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

27 Jan 2013 13:52

Dutchsmurf wrote:Of course they are. If HTC with all those wins and all that exposure can't find a sponsor, then a Dutch team with the current media sure has no chance at all. If they find a new sponsor this season, it is more or less guaranteed to be one from outside the Netherlands, probably outside Europe.

Yes, that's why all of their communication is in English now. Maybe some rich bloke in Dubai would like a cycling team?
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

27 Jan 2013 14:03

theyoungest wrote:Yes, that's why all of their communication is in English now. Maybe some rich bloke in Dubai would like a cycling team?


The Emirates Pro Cycling team:eek:

Complete with Citizenship offers for Gesnik, Boom and kelderman:p
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

27 Jan 2013 14:07

Dutchsmurf wrote:Of course they are. If HTC with all those wins and all that exposure can't find a sponsor, then a Dutch team with the current media sure has no chance at all. If they find a new sponsor this season, it is more or less guaranteed to be one from outside the Netherlands, probably outside Europe.


The Dutch identity might be a help in getting a sponsor though, even in the present climate. It's how Movistar survived Caisse pulling out, while HTC, without any fixed nationality or identity, couldn't survive, because they couldn't appeal to that.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,342
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

27 Jan 2013 14:14

Libertine Seguros wrote:The Dutch identity might be a help in getting a sponsor though, even in the present climate. It's how Movistar survived Caisse pulling out, while HTC, without any fixed nationality or identity, couldn't survive, because they couldn't appeal to that.


But will Dutch companies touch it as cycling is getting a pounding in the Dutch media.
I fear it will be a repetition of what happened to the German teams.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,412
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

27 Jan 2013 14:38

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Bos is not in the same boat as Guardini. Did any of you really follow last years races I wonder?

Like theyoungest said, Bos is getting better. As for climbing ability he is way above guardini (not hard). But he even won some fairly difficult races last year


Not in terms of ability but in terms of failing to achieve their ability as it just does not add up and they waste the opportunity, too many disappointments for Bos I find. The Giro was a prime example.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

27 Jan 2013 14:48

Bos had his best season to date last year with 7 victories including his first WT stage victory.

The Giro came too early because in the winter he had had leg artery operation. Plus in the Giro he fell very early and then continued 3/4th of the giro with a broken vertebrae

For someone who tries to be well informed, you're badly informed this time, Froome19
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,732
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

27 Jan 2013 16:01

how to use the post,
the answer is no but not because of Stapleton, Aldag and Holm
HTC was a sprinters team with a few good time trialers.
Blanco is a good group of young riders with talent in each area
Grand Tours: Gesink, Mollema, Kruiswijk, Ten Dam
Short Hilly climbs: Mollema, Nordhoug, Slagter
Cobbels: Boom, VanMarcke, Tjallingi, Wynants
Sprints: Bos, Renshaw
TimeTrials: LLS, Clement
Prologue: Boom
Young talents: Kelderman, Slagter, Hofland, Goos (last 2 are neoprof and excellent talents from Rabo's development team)
Captains: Tankink, Garate, Brown,
Leendert82
Junior Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 28 Dec 2012 07:08

27 Jan 2013 16:06

Froome19 wrote:Not in terms of ability but in terms of failing to achieve their ability as it just does not add up and they waste the opportunity, too many disappointments for Bos I find. The Giro was a prime example.


Bos has 1 problem in the sprints and thats placing before the sprint starts. Allot of the times he drops to far back.
Now he has his own leadout men and he has learned allot last year from Renshaw. Immediately you saw him picking up and winning bigger sprints.
Bos will get their I know it.

The Giro was bad luck for Bos, he fell in the 2nd stage of the Giro and broke his back (vertebrae). You try to sprint or even cycle when you break something and see how you fair agains Cavendish and Goss and more top sprinters.
Leendert82
Junior Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 28 Dec 2012 07:08

27 Jan 2013 16:07

Is someone supposed to turn from track sprinter to elite road cyclist overnight? I'd even give him a couple more seasons before he reaches his peak.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,774
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

27 Jan 2013 16:40

Ferminal wrote:Is someone supposed to turn from track sprinter to elite road cyclist overnight? I'd even give him a couple more seasons before he reaches his peak.


Still this season might be his last with Renshaw in his team, so he'd better make the best out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent some kind of sprint train to the Tour with Boom/Vanmarcke/Tjallingii/Bos/Renshaw. They need an alternative for their climbers. Boom and Vanmarcke are strong baroudeurs too.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

27 Jan 2013 16:50

Pentacycle wrote:Still this season might be his last with Renshaw in his team, so he'd better make the best out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent some kind of sprint train to the Tour with Boom/Vanmarcke/Tjallingii/Bos/Renshaw. They need an alternative for their climbers. Boom and Vanmarcke are strong baroudeurs too.

Bos and Renshaw ride mostly separate programs.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

27 Jan 2013 17:02

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post. I wasn't asking if Blanco will be like HTC in a sense in terms of sprint victories. I'm basically asking if Blanco will be a Cinderella team like HTC when they got ditched by T-Mobile.

Blanco is a stage race and classics team, can they deliver on those fronts as opposed to sprints?
User avatar TheEnoculator
Junior Member
 
Posts: 628
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 22:22
Location: Ontario, Canada

27 Jan 2013 17:17

OPQS is the new HTC - they have Bert Grabsch, Tony Martin, Mark Cavendish, Peter Velits, Martin Velits and Frantisek Rabon alongside Brian Holm as DS.

The difference is QS have a less good lead-out train(I think so at least), but a better team for the classics with Sylvain Chavanel, Tom Boonen, Nikki Terpstra and maybe some day Zdenek Stybar.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

27 Jan 2013 17:35

El Pistolero wrote:OPQS is the new HTC - they have Bert Grabsch, Tony Martin, Mark Cavendish, Peter Velits, Martin Velits and Frantisek Rabon alongside Brian Holm as DS.

The difference is QS have a less good lead-out train(I think so at least), but a better team for the classics with Sylvain Chavanel, Tom Boonen, Nikki Terpstra and maybe some day Zdenek Stybar.


Why are you rating him so highly I wonder ?

Also as you have him ( stybar ) in a maybe, dont you think that Guillaume Van Keirsbulck will be great cobbler in few years as well ?
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,762
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamski101, Eyeballs Out, Google Adsense [Bot], Jancouver, maltiv, mortand, MrTea1976, nuvolablu, Valv.Piti and 62 guests

Back to top