Log in:  

Register

Big Respect to Greipel the Gorilla

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Big Respect to Greipel the Gorilla

28 Jan 2013 11:37

For a few years now the Tour Down Under has become Greipel's play pen - and I'm lovin it! Last night I stayed up late and did a little video tribute to him called "Big Respect to the Gorilla". I hope you'll have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUDtzbn8FE

Cheers!
VanessaVV
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 24 Mar 2012 12:07

28 Jan 2013 11:51

Nice video. I think Greipel will give Cav a run for his money this year.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,242
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

28 Jan 2013 11:57

can't wait to see a showdown between Greipel and Cav. I think the former has a better lead out train??
gruppeto993
Junior Member
 
Posts: 354
Joined: 24 Jan 2013 18:52

28 Jan 2013 12:00

Hugo Koblet wrote:Nice video. I think Greipel will give Cav a run for his money this year.


I think you're right - his train is amazing, especially his lead-out man Henderson, who won a stage himself at the Tour when he was with Sky (maybe even more than one stage).

Cav's train is untested. But when Cav and the Gorilla are neck to neck my heart still goes to Cav - he's like the roadrunner, beautiful to watch, sacrilege to catch.
VanessaVV
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 24 Mar 2012 12:07

28 Jan 2013 12:32

VanessaVV wrote:I think you're right - his train is amazing, especially his lead-out man Henderson, who won a stage himself at the Tour when he was with Sky (maybe even more than one stage).

Cav's train is untested. But when Cav and the Gorilla are neck to neck my heart still goes to Cav - he's like the roadrunner, beautiful to watch, sacrilege to catch.


Greg is a great guy IMHO, but he didn't get to go to the TdF with Sky. He has one stage win at the Vuelta (with HTC in 2009), that is it for the Grand tours.

I think the move to Lotto was a very good one for him, he really has found a niche as a Gorilla handler.
User avatar Catwhoorg
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,319
Joined: 24 Aug 2011 11:00
Location: Atlanta, GA

28 Jan 2013 12:48

Greipel destroyed that peloton. Really impressive. Thanks for the video.
phanatic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 Apr 2011 18:39

28 Jan 2013 14:06

Greipel is going well now, just continuing from last year. It will be a thrill to see how Lotto will do against QuickStep when their trains line up. I'm guessing Lotto is a little better right now, more experienced with each other.

Cav needs a train more often than not, and if Lotto's is better, Gorilla is just as able to win a sprint.

Can't wait!
User avatar Old School
Junior Member
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 12 Mar 2010 12:42
Location: Baltimore

28 Jan 2013 14:08

will greipel and cav be doing tour of qatar?
gruppeto993
Junior Member
 
Posts: 354
Joined: 24 Jan 2013 18:52

28 Jan 2013 14:10

VanessaVV wrote:For a few years now the Tour Down Under has become Greipel's play pen - and I'm lovin it! Last night I stayed up late and did a little video tribute to him called "Big Respect to the Gorilla". I hope you'll have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUDtzbn8FE

Cheers!


Just watched your video! Sweet! Good job! Nice choice of music.

Thanks.:D
User avatar Old School
Junior Member
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 12 Mar 2010 12:42
Location: Baltimore

28 Jan 2013 14:37

nice video!!!!

i always liked greipel after he showed how good of a team mate he was in 2011 doing a lot of work for others, particularly on MSR when he kept everything in order till the poggio for gilbert.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,195
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

28 Jan 2013 14:39

gruppeto993 wrote:will greipel and cav be doing tour of qatar?


Cav is, Lotto won't be taking part in it. Maybe that will give Cav more time to perfect his leadout train. It was January and at the Tour Down Under, but Greipels leadout train worked to perfection.

The Tour though will probably be the primary race to watch the two in, they will both be at their peak, with their full leadout trains, and both be targeting the stage wins.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,239
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

28 Jan 2013 15:11

I'm curious as well how that will play in the stage races or Kuurne for example...

At OPQS Boonen might become the leadout man, he spoke about it in the press recently. Said Cav just is out of the wind behind Boonen.

I prefer Greipel though as he's to me a more complete rider as Cav
User avatar Lexman
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,599
Joined: 02 Jul 2011 20:34
Location: Oise (France)

28 Jan 2013 15:11

Hugo Koblet wrote:Nice video. I think Greipel will give Cav a run for his money this year.


No doubt!

I think I head Cav saying that he (Griepel) can push either 40 or 60 watts more than he (Cav) can, but that Cav can still beat him because his kick is sharper and he's more aerodynamic.

There's a lot of respect between the 2 of them

Griepel sure looks in good shape on the video!

Something to look forward to this year, anyway!:)
coinneach
Junior Member
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 21:26

28 Jan 2013 17:57

No chance Greipel is riding the Giro?
User avatar SafeBet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

28 Jan 2013 18:23

De Vlaeminck said:

A flat stage of a GT is hardly anything more than a kermess.


So Greipel won 100 kermesses. Super. And this because of big trains.

So really nothing big ...
Echoes
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,959
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

28 Jan 2013 19:12

Echoes wrote:De Vlaeminck said:

A flat stage of a GT is hardly anything more than a kermess.


So Greipel won 100 kermesses. Super. And this because of big trains.

So really nothing big ...


this wasn't too hard to agree with. Having said that I do think there are a couple of "harder" wins in his palmares.

TdF stage 13 from 2012:

Image

Result:
GER 1 GREIPEL, André (LOTTO BELISOL) 4:57:59
SVK 2 SAGAN, Peter (LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE)
NOR 3 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (SKY PROCYCLING)
FRA 4 HINAULT, Sébastien (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
RSA 5 IMPEY, Daryl (ORICA-GREENEDGE)
FRA 6 SIMON, Julien (SAUR-SOJASUN)
ITA 7 MARCATO, Marco (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
BEL 8 GILBERT, Philippe (BMC RACING)


I think he could win KBK and GW. Lets see.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,311
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

great video

28 Jan 2013 19:15

thanks! for posting

today i was thinking just how strong greipel looked

but seeing all the Sunshine fair broke my heart......................and that
was before greipel got to kiss the podium girls
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,789
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

28 Jan 2013 20:51

As a Cav fan, I'm more scared of Kittel or Guardini surplanting him than Andre.

At last year's tour, the only 2 occasions Cav had a train, Lotto & Andre were nowhere. In the first sprint, Cav single handedly worked like mad to reach Andre's wheel whilst Andre had an easy ride on a train, and Cav then beat him heads up to win the stage. His wins came when Cav was either not present, or started from way too far back. His 2011 win was more impressive than anything he managed at least year's tour.

EDIT -

Just rewatched the end of Stage 2 - incredible. Cav was 25 riders back with 600m to go, pulls on to his wheel then dusts him.
Waterloo Sunrise
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,679
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 20:21

28 Jan 2013 21:13

Old School wrote:Just watched your video! Sweet! Good job! Nice choice of music.

Thanks.:D


Thank you!
VanessaVV
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 24 Mar 2012 12:07

30 Jan 2013 07:52

Old School wrote:Greipel is going well now, just continuing from last year. It will be a thrill to see how Lotto will do against QuickStep when their trains line up. I'm guessing Lotto is a little better right now, more experienced with each other.

Cav needs a train more often than not, and if Lotto's is better, Gorilla is just as able to win a sprint.

Can't wait!


Parrulo wrote:nice video!!!!

i always liked greipel after he showed how good of a team mate he was in 2011 doing a lot of work for others, particularly on MSR when he kept everything in order till the poggio for gilbert.


Or last year stage 1 at the TDF.

Cav has basically the same team as at HTC with some of the riders- sure they are not riding Qatar with him but i am sure he will have enough riders to help him during the year. I also think Cav could just jump onto Greipels' train and try and win.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,264
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Billie, Brundd, Carols, DFA123, Eagle, franic, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lemon cheese cake, Marco Pantani, MatParker117, Matteo., matter, Noid77, nuvolablu, OK93fin, Poursuivant, PremierAndrew, Pricey_sky, SafeBet, Scarponi, Squirbos_19, Steven Roots, Tank Engine, The Tristero, zigzag wanderer and 110 guests

Back to top