Log in:  

Register

Best u23 riders in 2013

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Choose as many as you want

OLIVIER Daan
8
8%
MANFREDI Andrea
10
11%
VAN BAARLE Dylan
4
4%
SHALUNOV Evgeny
6
6%
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
11
12%
CHAMORRO CHITAN Juan Ernesto
11
12%
VILLELLA Davide
17
18%
LECUISINIER Pierre-Henri
12
13%
CRADDOCK Lawson
11
12%
SÜTTERLIN Jasha
5
5%
 
Total votes : 95

30 Jan 2013 18:13

the asian wrote:Any youngsters coming up from Spain? There seems to be dearth of quality youngsters in Spain at the moment, even though I have a fairly good idea behind the reasons for it.


Exactly zero talented U23's. Even Carlos Verona, who's being talked up as being very talented, has no decent results whatsoever.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,164
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

30 Jan 2013 19:25

Pentacycle wrote:Exactly zero talented U23's. Even Carlos Verona, who's being talked up as being very talented, has no decent results whatsoever.


So thats why he got a contract at quick step while only being just 20? He got 48th in Vuelta a Burgos which is a 2.HC race when he was only 19. And he got 9th in GC in Toscana Terra Di Ciclismo, which had a very strong field. He also had a few decent results in his first year as a U23, and did well in smaller Spanish races. So he does have some decent results.

Another good Spanish talent is Enric Mas Nicolau, but he will still be a junior next year.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,995
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

30 Jan 2013 21:37

Francisco Jose Medina Abril is considered to be pretty talented. The most obvious reason why Spaniards don't look that talented in youth ranks is because they don't race that much internationally and are hard to track.

You got to be honest, they don't race a lot of International races. They didn't even race in the European Championships.

Apart from Toscana (9th with Verona), Tour de l'Avenir (disaster), Roubaix (where they don't belong) & the worlds they ride nothing international.

It's true that they don't have a good 92'-90' generation. But there are some younger ones incomming that can do okay.
timcoppens
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 22 May 2009 12:32

30 Jan 2013 23:12

'Exactly zero talented U23's. Even Carlos Verona, who's being talked up as being very talented, has no decent results whatsoever"

HAHA Verona dominated all stage races he participated in juniors:

Exhibition in the Sierra Norte against the bests spanish teams of the category, general classification, mountain classification, regularity jersey and the best young guy of the race. He made a bloodbath in the queen stage of Torrelaguna with an attack in the first meters of the begin. Exhibition in Galapagar showing his superiority and putting huge differences in the finish line. Domination in the championship of Terrasa before the bests spanish juniors, one more time attacking from far and creating big differences. Victories in Cataluña, Andalucía, in the ITT championship of Madrid, uncountable mountain classifications won, best junior of the Rfec ranking... Verona is the best national junior of the lasts years without doubt.
User avatar Jason_Mercier
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,077
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 10:59

30 Jan 2013 23:13

timcoppens wrote:It's true that they don't have a good 92'-90' generation. But there are some younger ones incomming that can do okay.


I think it's going to be interesting to see the development of Jordi Simon (from ´90)......
User avatar Kazistuta
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,076
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 06:18
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

30 Jan 2013 23:17

Then he showed big things in the Tour of Pays de Savoie (6° in the overall classification and the best young guy) Vuelta a Besaya before the Jungels and Shalunov and in the Nations Cup (Toscana) Of course Verona doesnt have results:o
User avatar Jason_Mercier
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,077
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 10:59

31 Jan 2013 00:49

Kazistuta wrote:I think it's going to be interesting to see the development of Jordi Simon (from ´90)......


Sure there are some talents, I mean Herrada isn't bad eather. And Verona obviously is talented, but it's just not the best generation from Spain.

To bad Simon had to drop a level, I thought he was pretty talented also at the start of the prev. season. But now I can't see him become a subtopper tbh. Same thing happened with Diego Milan some years ago, was really talented but never made it.

I can't see riders like Fraile or Bilbao make it to the top. So apart from Herrada & Verona I don't see any 90'-92' spanish rider become a leader. Even Herrada wil not become a leader, but a well rounded good rider.
timcoppens
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 22 May 2009 12:32

31 Jan 2013 09:11

Ruudz0r wrote:So thats why he got a contract at quick step while only being just 20? He got 48th in Vuelta a Burgos which is a 2.HC race when he was only 19. And he got 9th in GC in Toscana Terra Di Ciclismo, which had a very strong field. He also had a few decent results in his first year as a U23, and did well in smaller Spanish races. So he does have some decent results.

Another good Spanish talent is Enric Mas Nicolau, but he will still be a junior next year.

Decent results, but why he immediately got a contract at OPQS is beyond me. Maybe in training they've seen some things that we haven't yet seen on the road.

Although of course to distinguish yourself as a climber on that team isn't very hard.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

31 Jan 2013 09:22

Jason_Mercier wrote:HAHA Verona dominated all stage races he participated in juniors:

Exhibition in the Sierra Norte against the bests spanish teams of the category, general classification, mountain classification, regularity jersey and the best young guy of the race. He made a bloodbath in the queen stage of Torrelaguna with an attack in the first meters of the begin. Exhibition in Galapagar showing his superiority and putting huge differences in the finish line. Domination in the championship of Terrasa before the bests spanish juniors, one more time attacking from far and creating big differences. Victories in Cataluña, Andalucía, in the ITT championship of Madrid, uncountable mountain classifications won, best junior of the Rfec ranking... Verona is the best national junior of the lasts years without doubt.


We aren't discussing junior results here, that's not an indication he's a top talent. There are many riders with more talent in the espoir category atm. Where did he showcase an above average talent in the U23, except for the 'impressive' 48th in Burgos?
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,164
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

31 Jan 2013 14:41

He's riding at a WT team, not in the U23 scene, hence he can't showcase anything there. ;)

If you're still stuck in the U23 scene at age 22/23 you can't be all that talented even if you dominate the ranks. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

31 Jan 2013 15:17

El Pistolero wrote:He's riding at a WT team, not in the U23 scene, hence he can't showcase anything there. ;)

If you're still stuck in the U23 scene at age 22/23 you can't be all that talented even if you dominate the ranks. ;)

Well, that depends on how long you've been cycling. Some 23 year old's aren't even close to the limit of their potential since they started late, while others are peaked already.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,260
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

03 Mar 2013 23:25

Ruudz0r wrote:Hopefully Andrea Zordan can have a good year, he was top at the juniors but had some troubles with the transition. Last year was already much better then the first year at U23, and hopefully he can really step it up this year.


Zordan started his season well :), has been in the mix everywhere and got his first win of the season today, maybe he can compete with Villella this year in Italy (depends a little on the terrain ofcourse).

Zurlo also got his first win today, in his 4th U23 race (+ he had bad luck in 2 of those 4 races with a flat tire in the final adn a crash just in front of him in the final).
User avatar Ruudz0r
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,995
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

02 Apr 2013 16:18

To get this thread going a little again.

Caleb Ewan won GP Palio del Recioto (1.2U) today.

1. Caleb Ewan
2. Silvio Herklotz
3. Luka Pibernik
4. Davide Villella

A lot of the first years U23 are starting strong. Now Ewan with this win, Herklotz is starting strong (again a 2nd after yesterdays 2nd in Giro del Belvedere di Villa di Cordignano (1.2U). And he also had some nice results in Istarsko proljece - Istrian Spring Trophy.

+ Zurlo started great in Italy he did very good in all races he rode, won 1, gave 1 to his teammate, and got 2nd in 2 other races + he had some bad luck in races where he would have had a shot for the win.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,995
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

02 Apr 2013 16:23

Image
User avatar Lupetto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,232
Joined: 08 Sep 2010 10:05

02 Apr 2013 16:24

Lupetto wrote:Image


Pocket Rocket Caleb Ewan
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,407
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

02 Apr 2013 16:25

He looks like Robbie McEwen in that picture.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,949
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

02 Apr 2013 16:30

Yeah...but the race is a bit too hard for a McEwen type of rider.

Image

According to his team, Herklotz crashed at the 2k mark.
User avatar Lupetto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,232
Joined: 08 Sep 2010 10:05

02 Apr 2013 16:36

Here is a video of yesterdays Giro del Belvedere di Villa di Cordignano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-5Y5TBw3eY

1. Stefano Kung BMC
2. Silvio Herklotz Team Stolting
3. Mitchell Mulhern Australia :02
4. Andrea Zordan Zalf Euromobil Desirèe Fior :32
5. Damien Howson Australia
6. Davide Villella Colpack
7. Stanislau Bazkhou Podenzano
8. Mikhail Akimov Russia
9. Simone Petilli Delio Gallina
10. Alessio Mischianti Futura Team
User avatar Ruudz0r
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,995
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

02 Apr 2013 16:54

Lupetto wrote:Image


If you look closely you can see that herklotz crashed and he still got second.
I think he is the most promising rider in Germany. He is much stronger than last year, where he was one of the best Juniors.
This year he seems to take it for the first time really serious.
Petty sure we gonna see some strong results in stage races from him this year.
Phil13
Junior Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 14 Jan 2013 19:56

02 Apr 2013 17:02

I'm thinking 1994 is a very talented year; you've got Caleb Ewan, Silvio Herklotz, Fredrik Ludvigsson, Oskar Svendsen, Merhawi Kudus Ghebremedhin.... any more? :D
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,531
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Breh, Brundd, Dazed and Confused, dusty red roads, Google Adsense [Bot], Googolplex, infeXio, jmdirt, Matteo., Miburo, Pricey_sky, PunchingRouleur, sulgpallur, yaco and 65 guests

Back to top