Register

Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC

30 Jan 2013 10:08

Like every year, PRC blog published the comparison between the three GTs of 2013. Interesting stuff as always.
http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.org/2013/01/30/comparativa-de-los-puertos-de-giro-tour-y-vuelta-2013/
It's in spanish, but many tables don't require an extensive knowledge of the language to be interpreted ;)

Particularly funny the fact that the Giro is the GT with more HC and 1st cat climbs ever, despite being called a weak edition by the press and by a few riders.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 10:31

Oh look, the impossibly hard Vuelta has three "HC" climbs.
Ferminal

30 Jan 2013 10:36

Ferminal wrote:Oh look, the impossibly hard Vuelta has three "HC" climbs.

:D
tbh this year there have been less people than usual calling that "hard".
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 19:00

Interesting stuff, shame i cannot read properly at work as our IT filters blog sites, but will check out later. Funnily enough, only last night while checking out the TDF route to see which stages I'll go and watch, it occured to me that, in fact, this years tour does not look particulary hard.

Not many climbs on Pyrenean roads and nothing in the massif central to speak of. So, despite the inclusion of Ventoux and 2 x Alpe D'Huez, there's actually not much to be frightened of for someone like Wiggins, nothing over 2000m so no rarified climbing (again), no wonder he's hedging his bets.

No doubt twice up the alpe will be a pain for some, but, when you consider Cadel won in a year when the went over the Agnel, Izoard & Galibier twice I think 2013 doesn't favour the Schlecks etc (sorry Schleck unless Franks ban is timed to finish before the start- if it is funny that eh) .

I can see a fit Cadel fancying his chances and I reckon someone like Voeckler might even be in the mix, at least well placed again. From this point of view it could be a very good tour, plenty of riders will be in with a shout I reckon. I expect to see Froome and Wiggins very close on GC and Wiggins to win the TT's or be best placed GC contender in them, which will force Froome on the offensive (hopefully if Brailsford doesn't stop play). I don't think Contador will take any chances performing track stands with Froome.
hmsgenoa

30 Jan 2013 20:45

Thanks, very interesting at first site it seems the Giro is still the toughest GT this year...
User avatar Lexman

30 Jan 2013 20:48

Lexman wrote:Thanks, very interesting at first site it seems the Giro is still the toughest GT this year...

by a long shot... the Tour isn't even trying and the Vuelta is... a Vuelta. So no chance the Giro will cease to be the hardest ;)

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 21:05

The problem with Giro is not the climbs (As stated in the link, there are plenty of hard climbs) but the length of the mountain stages (except the Tre Croci-Tre Cime) I like short mountain stages but I think this Giro has way too many of them
burning

30 Jan 2013 21:09

meh. More meaningless Giro propaganda. Tour has 2 x alpe d huez. 2 times up alpe. Don't you get it? Thats like doing Liege and PR on the same day.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

30 Jan 2013 21:12

burning wrote:The problem with Giro is not the climbs (As stated in the link, there are plenty of hard climbs) but the length of the mountain stages (except the Tre Croci-Tre Cime) I like short mountain stages but I think this Giro has way too many of them

definitely. Plus, the design of all but the final mountain stages is far from good. This year Giro delivers with its medium mountain and with the ITT. As for high mountains, only Lavaredo is good (great actually).

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 21:12

The Hitch wrote:meh. More meaningless Giro propaganda. Tour has 2 x alpe d huez. 2 times up alpe. Don't you get it? Thats like doing Liege and PR on the same day.

They should make a stage with 3x alpe, that would make the hardest race ever
burning

30 Jan 2013 21:13

The Hitch wrote:meh. More meaningless Giro propaganda. Tour has 2 x alpe d huez. 2 times up alpe. Don't you get it? Thats like doing Liege and PR on the same day.

When I'll become mod posts like this will be deleted in no time :p

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 21:18

Eshnar wrote:definitely. Plus, the design of all but the final mountain stages is far from good. This year Giro delivers with its medium mountain and with the ITT. As for high mountains, only Lavaredo is good (great actually).

I fear that the medium montain stages will be raced like the stage that Rubiano won :rolleyes:
burning

30 Jan 2013 21:20

burning wrote:I fear that the medium montain stages will be raced like the stage that Rubiano won :rolleyes:

I fear a lot of things. But the chance to see something good is there. Especially since there's the ITT and hopefully someone will think of gaining time before the final stage. Plus, there are gc guys who can potentially attack in these kind of stages this time.

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 21:24

Too bad the hardness is so badly distributed in the Giro.

And I don't think that Tre Cime stage is that good. Good, yes, but not great.
User avatar Descender

30 Jan 2013 21:25

I think that nothing serious will happen in medium mountain stages, I hope that I will be wrong
burning

30 Jan 2013 21:31

Descender wrote:Good, yes, but not great.

can we agree on "very good" then? :D

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 22:17

burning wrote:They should make a stage with 3x alpe, that would make the hardest race ever

Yeah, cause that´s why thousands of people can do that climb 3 or more times on one day to raise money for cancer research
Red Rick

30 Jan 2013 22:21

Red Rick wrote:Yeah, cause that´s why thousands of people can do that climb 3 or more times on one day to raise money for cancer research

he was being ironic you know. ;)
At least I hope.

User avatar Eshnar

30 Jan 2013 22:22

Eshnar wrote:he was being ironic you know. ;)
At least I hope.

nope, he was being sarcastic;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

30 Jan 2013 22:33

Off-topic, but just viewed the stages of the Giro one more time..

Stages I like in the Giro:
Stage 3
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 16
Stage 20

Stages I dislike in the Giro:
Stage 2
Stage 10
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 19
Stage 21
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

Next

Return to Professional road racing