Register

Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

31 Jan 2013 13:54

Ferminal wrote:It's also the only stage starting literally on a big climb since umm... Can only recall Luchon 2010 but try to forget it.

I think each of the three Grand Tours are just one or two steps away from being very good this year.

In the Giro, all they really need to do was make 2 of the puchy mountain stages a bit longer. Like maybe 60-80km longer with at least one more climb in each. And possibly have a decisive last stage....such as a time trial in Milan and lose one of the earlier chronos

In the Tour, they should have had more medium mountain stages. Two of the Corsican stages should have been harder than they are. And the jaunt from the Pyrennees to the Ventoux has too many boring stages. Even one more medium mountain stage or ramp finish would make it more interesting. And finally, the ITT in Le Mont St Michel needs to be 20km longer.

In the Vuelta, there are (as always) too many ramp finishes. Lose two of these, and make one of the stages pan-flat, and one stage either a medium mountain stage or a descent finish after a ramp in the last 10km. And make the stage into Casteldefells have a trickeier finish and be a lot longer. They could easily descend from Port del Rat Penat into the finish.

But all three tours have lots and lots of good stages.
barmaher

31 Jan 2013 19:57

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:The could have done Sommeiller (3000m) instead of Jafferau. It's right around the corner from that climb.

Except they would have to pave it first, I suppose.

Why? :D

[SIZE="1"][color="White"]10 characters[/color][/SIZE]
rghysens

31 Jan 2013 20:01

barmaher wrote:In the Giro, all they really need to do was make 2 of the puchy mountain stages a bit longer. Like maybe 60-80km longer with at least one more climb in each. And possibly have a decisive last stage....such as a time trial in Milan and lose one of the earlier chronos

agreed to all but the bolded. the earlier ITTs are perfect, and I'm not a great fan of the final ITT in Milan. But they should have put a meaningful final stage, yes. And Brescia has plenty of opportunities for that. Really disappointing.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

31 Jan 2013 20:29

barmaher wrote:I think each of the three Grand Tours are just one or two steps away from being very good this year.

In the Giro, all they really need to do was make 2 of the puchy mountain stages a bit longer. Like maybe 60-80km longer with at least one more climb in each. And possibly have a decisive last stage....such as a time trial in Milan and lose one of the earlier chronos

In the Tour, they should have had more medium mountain stages. Two of the Corsican stages should have been harder than they are. And the jaunt from the Pyrennees to the Ventoux has too many boring stages. Even one more medium mountain stage or ramp finish would make it more interesting. And finally, the ITT in Le Mont St Michel needs to be 20km longer.

In the Vuelta, there are (as always) too many ramp finishes. Lose two of these, and make one of the stages pan-flat, and one stage either a medium mountain stage or a descent finish after a ramp in the last 10km. And make the stage into Casteldefells have a trickeier finish and be a lot longer. They could easily descend from Port del Rat Penat into the finish.

But all three tours have lots and lots of good stages.

Hmm I'm not so sure about that.
User avatar Descender

31 Jan 2013 20:30

Eshnar wrote:agreed to all but the bolded. the earlier ITTs are perfect, and I'm not a great fan of the final ITT in Milan. But they should have put a meaningful final stage, yes. And Brescia has plenty of opportunities for that. Really disappointing.

Ascent

Descent + Finish

WIN
User avatar Descender

01 Feb 2013 02:57

Repeat x6

=Win
Ferminal

01 Feb 2013 04:30

I think what the giro lacks is a supergiro mountain. from what I recall stelvio is the hardest they got and it's 60k from the finish. even if it was 1 of the new ones like crostis or the one pozzovivo won on in trentino.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

01 Feb 2013 08:14

The Hitch wrote:from what I recall stelvio is the hardest they got and it's 60k from the finish.

It's Galibier
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

01 Feb 2013 10:09

What i miss most in all the 3 GT's are mountain stages with several consecutive mounitains without any long flat sections in the last part of the stage. There should have been at least 1-2 more of these type of stages in all the GTs.

In the Giro the should have used Solda as a stage finish on the Stelvio stage and added at least a couple of mountains before Gavia.

They should also have replaced the Galibier stage with at 200 km all day mountain stage in Italy. Why go to France when you have so many good mountains in Italy?

In the Tour, they should have had a 200 km stage to Pla d'Adet like in 2005, and 1-2 more medium mountain stages with hilly finishes.
OlavEH

01 Feb 2013 10:20

OlavEH wrote:In the Giro the should have used Solda as a stage finish on the Stelvio stage and added at least a couple of mountains before Gavia.

They should also have replaced the Galibier stage with at 200 km all day mountain stage in Italy. Why go to France when you have so many good mountains in Italy?

It's pretty pointless to complain about stage finishes. They're fixed by deals done. It's the routes chosen that are disappointing.

User avatar Eshnar

01 Feb 2013 11:48

Taking bets for the France stage next year?
Ferminal

01 Feb 2013 11:52

Ferminal wrote:Taking bets for the France stage next year?

If they have any common sense it'll be Les Deux Alpes. But there's a possibility they won't go to France if they start from Ireland.

User avatar Eshnar

01 Feb 2013 13:42

Eshnar wrote:
rom what I recall stelvio is the hardest they got and it's 60k from the finish.

It's Galibier

:confused: galibier harder than stelvio prato ?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

01 Feb 2013 13:51

The Hitch wrote::confused: galibier harder than stelvio prato ?

Télégraphe + Galibier > Stelvio > Galibier

IMO
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

01 Feb 2013 14:16

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:The could have done Sommeiller (3000m) instead of Jafferau. It's right around the corner from that climb.

Except they would have to pave it first, I suppose.

You mean Rosael right?

Edit, I'm an idiot Rosael is near Galibier
Red Rick

01 Feb 2013 14:28

The Hitch wrote::confused: galibier harder than stelvio prato ?

stelvio is from Bormio

User avatar Eshnar

01 Feb 2013 14:51

I'd say on that stage Gavia is probably harder than Stelvio too.
Ferminal

01 Feb 2013 15:57

Eshnar wrote:stelvio is from Bormio

****. I always get it wrong. Thought they would at least do the other side this time round.

User avatar The Hitch

03 Feb 2013 11:35

Giro is definitely the hardest when the road heads uphill, no doubt about that. Something that I think is often overlooked though is how tough the flat stages are in the Tour. All the Dutch and Belgian riders stringing it out on the flats of northern/western France, riding in the wind, and the constant fight for GC riders just to stay upright and not lose their position - it's usually pretty draining. But this year I'm not sure the Tour will have so much of that because the races starts in the south - it will probably settle down quicker.

Regardless of difficulty, the Giro is the one I'm most looking forward to (going to head out there for the first few stages too!). The Tour is still main event for a lot of big names but in the last 10 years the Giro has really narrowed the gap - the idea of a non-Italian defending Tour champ deciding to focus on the Giro a year later would have been unthinkable in past years.
Cult Classics

Previous

Return to Professional road racing