Register

2013 Tour of Qatar (3rd-8th February), 2.HC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

02 Feb 2013 10:14

Mark Cavendish‏@MarkCavendish

Qatar. 2:45am. After Argentina, Europe & here within 3 days, I'm a **** for sleeping on the flight. My body doesn't know what's happening!
Waterloo Sunrise

02 Feb 2013 11:06

karaev wrote:
Any sugestions for who I should spend my money on?

Well, for what it's worth, I'm wasting my money on Breschel (101ew) and Offredo (201ew). They'll both probably lose 10-20 secs in the TTT and it's their first races of the year (Offredo's first in a year) - so there's two reasons not to follow me, but they're both talented guys. Looking forward to see if Riis can weave his magic and get Matti back to where he once was.
Keep on Truckin'
User avatar Leadbelly

02 Feb 2013 12:18

I would love to see Degenkolb and Modolo do well here :)
Peter Sagan:
"I under-evaluated him (Gerald Ciolek) a little bit. I was watching Cancellara, who was trying to break free, and maybe I did too much work," Sagan said. "Ciolek stayed in the wheels and he took my wheel to do the sprint and was able to beat me. I went too early in the sprint."

17/03/13 Milan - San Remo

Peter Sagan:
“We went away in a break on the Oude Kwaremont, but then Cancellara went for it on the Paterberg and I wasn’t able to follow him,”

31/03/13 Tour of Flanders
User avatar HiCadence

02 Feb 2013 14:03

Der Effe wrote:It's not like they have so many other options, isn't it? It's all about the money, in 10 years they'll be racing on the moon. The rule should always be that in order to get races, you will have to produce decent athletes first.

Qatar has a warm climate, but unlike your precious TDU it's not TOO WARM.
Qatar is only a few hours difference with Europe, unlike your precious TDU. You won't feel the jetlag.
Qatar is raced HARD because of the echelons, unlike the TDU which is boring. An uphill sprint on Willunga hill doesn't change that.
In Qatar the big names like Cancellara, Boonen, Cavendish, etc race to win. In the TDU they barely do anything.
Qatar didn't pay MILLIONS for Lance Armstrong to come to their event, TDU did.
Qatar has been the ideal preparation for the spring classics for years now. Much better preparation race than the TDU. Results don't lie.

Without loads of money the Tour Down Under would be nowhere. At least Qatar didn't buy WT status. They let the race grow over the years. Now teams come to them asking for invitations, not the other way around.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Feb 2013 14:10

Lol, amazed at El Pisti praising an race held in a country without a cycling tradition.

Is it because of Boonen's dominance?:p
User avatar the asian

02 Feb 2013 14:13

Nice post Pisti. Qatar is one of the best early season races. Even the Giro stage starting on the freaking Gavia won't be split into 10 groups after 3km like one of the Qatar stages last year.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

02 Feb 2013 14:13

the asian wrote:Lol, amazed at El Pisti praising an race held in a country without a cycling tradition.

Is it because of Boonen's dominance?:p

Hint: compared to Qatar, Oman gets surprisingly little praise from El Calimero ;)
theyoungest

02 Feb 2013 14:19

theyoungest wrote:Hint: compared to Qatar, Oman gets surprisingly little praise from El Calimero ;)

True, but Oman is a different race than Qatar.

Pisti has a point in his post and for once I have to agree with him. Classic riders love it, because if there is enough wind than it's a real tough mens race.

Stage 4 from last year was pretty damn good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5Q8sQumrc
User avatar Kwibus

02 Feb 2013 14:21

I agree with him that Qatar is a good preparation race for classics riders.

Personally I'm glad the TDU and Oman also exist. Definately not the most prestigious races, but I was happy with the racing I got to see in Down Under this year.
User avatar Kwibus

02 Feb 2013 14:22

theyoungest wrote:Hint: compared to Qatar, Oman gets surprisingly little praise from El Calimero ;)

Oman isn't live and wind barely plays a big role. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Feb 2013 14:22

Kwibus wrote:True, but Oman is a different race than Qatar.

Pisti has a point in his post and for once I have to agree with him. Classic riders love it, because if there is enough wind than it's a real tough mens race.

Stage 4 from last year was pretty damn good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5Q8sQumrc

Certainly. It's unfairly labeled as a snoozefest by people just looking at the profiles.
User avatar the asian

02 Feb 2013 14:23

Kwibus wrote:True, but Oman is a different race than Qatar.

I know, but 6 stages of echelons is a bit too much IMO. It's like Eneco Tour in overdrive. Oman offers a bit more variety.
theyoungest

02 Feb 2013 14:26

theyoungest wrote:I know, but 6 stages of echelons is a bit too much IMO. It's like Eneco Tour in overdrive. Oman offers a bit more variety.

Can't remember the last time the Eneco Tour had echelons. Eneco Tour resembles the Tour of Oman more.

Normal sprint stages + 1 decisive stage(usually the Ardennes stage, but this year the cobbled hill stage) + time trial.

User avatar El Pistolero

02 Feb 2013 14:30

Did they clone Mur de Huy three times and stack them on top of the existing hill?

Wait, but even then they would climb it with 80km to go.
Ferminal

02 Feb 2013 17:28

Shouldn't this be live on Eurosport? Can't find anything about it.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

02 Feb 2013 17:42

Hugo Koblet wrote:Shouldn't this be live on Eurosport? Can't find anything about it.

Not this time.
User avatar the asian

02 Feb 2013 18:44

Hugo Koblet wrote:Shouldn't this be live on Eurosport? Can't find anything about it.

Some sort of contractual issue means ASO haven't taken it apparently, so not on Eurosport. It is on Al Jazeera Sports so should be available 'somewhere'

Really looking forward to this race. A real test for Omega/Cav. Degenkolb to inflict the first round of Germanic pain on The Missile?
postmanhat

02 Feb 2013 19:01

Haussler saying first stage should be the most selective of all, wind predictions are highest for it. Then for the rest are quite mild, but it's just a forecast for now.
Gloin22

02 Feb 2013 20:39

how is modolo in with handling these winds, maybe still has alot to learn.

degenkolb stands out as someone that should go well here.
User avatar manafana

02 Feb 2013 21:49

the asian wrote:You wont get athletes without the races and above all you wont get races without money.

I disagree. If the UCI really cares about cycling they set up a program with the national cycling federations of all these countries to develop talent. Infrastructure in sport is very important. Once you've really helped a country sportwise you can set up some nice races and make cycling grow in a non-traditonal cycling area.

El Pistolero wrote:Qatar has a warm climate, but unlike your precious TDU it's not TOO WARM.
Qatar is only a few hours difference with Europe, unlike your precious TDU. You won't feel the jetlag.
Qatar is raced HARD because of the echelons, unlike the TDU which is boring. An uphill sprint on Willunga hill doesn't change that.
In Qatar the big names like Cancellara, Boonen, Cavendish, etc race to win. In the TDU they barely do anything.
Qatar didn't pay MILLIONS for Lance Armstrong to come to their event, TDU did.
Qatar has been the ideal preparation for the spring classics for years now. Much better preparation race than the TDU. Results don't lie.

Without loads of money the Tour Down Under would be nowhere. At least Qatar didn't buy WT status. They let the race grow over the years. Now teams come to them asking for invitations, not the other way around.

Some fair points, but I do not care much about the TDU as well. It's just that Australia has produced some excellent cyclists, so they deserve 'home' races. Same for the USA and even Canada to a lesser extent. Snoozefest is not the course particularly, but more so the atmosphere. Everything about racing there is plastic, like a party full of people with smiles painted on.
Der Effe

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing