Register

Will Cancellara ride the 2013 Tour de France?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

?

yes
56%
no
44%

Total votes : 102

01 Feb 2013 21:10

Cancellara desperately wants to win the worlds road race and to put on the Pink jersey in the Giro.

Riding the Tour doesn't help that in anyway. He'd be better off riding the Giro and Vuelta.
User avatar the asian

01 Feb 2013 21:12

gruppeto993 wrote:True. I don't know what else is there for him to target after the cobbled classics apart from the tour. Perhaps he wants to win another world TT? I mean the races during the second part of the season are either stage races or hilly classics like lombardia. I doubt these are his targets.
by riding the tour, he has nothing to lose.

Cancellara has achieved everything in the Tour he ever wanted, and he doesn't like to get slaved around by the Schlecks anymore.
He's ridden multiple GT's since 2009 combined with a spring classics season, until last year, and it's just too hard for him to have three big peaks in his season.
He should now specifically prepare for the races he still wants to add to his palmares.

For example, he hasn't won any Italian autumn classics, nor has he won Paris-Tours. And he isn't going to focus on TT's anymore, so the WC aren't his main goal. I think he'll just ride the Giro this year, and rest during the Tour to build up to his goals in the autumn classics.
User avatar Pentacycle

01 Feb 2013 21:13

He wants to wear the pink jersey, yes. But the worlds course doesnt really suit him. He needs to lose some weight. Maybe he wants to do just that after the giro.
gruppeto993

01 Feb 2013 21:23

gruppeto993 wrote:He wants to wear the pink jersey, yes. But the worlds course doesnt really suit him. He needs to lose some weight. Maybe he wants to do just that after the giro.

He's fast running out of time. 2013 and 2014 are his last chances. While I agree that the course is too difficult for him, he definitely give it a go.
Riding all 3 Grand Tours is too much and riding the Vuelta is a very good way to Prepare for the Worlds', so he will miss the Tour, if he has any ambition about the Worlds.
User avatar the asian

02 Feb 2013 14:20

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=59094

no
Afrank, birthmark, BoxCoppi, burning, Caruut, Dazed and Confused, Ferminal, Forunculo, gerundium, Gloin22, Havetts, HelgeBlendet, Miburo, Netserk, nuvolablu, Peccio89, Pentacycle, phanatic, Squire, Swabian Lass, Task_Force, the asian, will10, woodenswan
24 51.06%
Ferminal

02 Feb 2013 14:22

Ferminal wrote:http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=59094

no
Afrank, birthmark, BoxCoppi, burning, Caruut, Dazed and Confused, Ferminal, Forunculo, gerundium, Gloin22, Havetts, HelgeBlendet, Miburo, Netserk, nuvolablu, Peccio89, Pentacycle, phanatic, Squire, Swabian Lass, Task_Force, the asian, will10, woodenswan
24 51.06%

Congrats. :p
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

02 Feb 2013 15:00

He does have some brain cells left in him, despite his long association with the Schlecks.
User avatar the asian

02 Feb 2013 15:13

By the looks of the article, he sounds like he is going to give the world championships a real shot. You reckon its for the road race, time trial or both??
And what will his chances be because the route is pretty hilly which means he perhaps may need to lose some weight.
gruppeto993

02 Feb 2013 15:18

gruppeto993 wrote:By the looks of the article, he sounds like he is going to give the world championships a real shot. You reckon its for the road race, time trial or both??
And what will his chances be because the route is pretty hilly which means he perhaps may need to lose some weight.

Road Race. He doesn't care about TT anymore.
It's more difficult than Mendrisio and my feeling is that it's too difficult for him but you never know. It's good that he gives it a serious try.
User avatar the asian

02 Feb 2013 15:34

how difficult is it? I mean which riders do you think the course suits? I would really love to see him try. Who can be the main threat? a spring classics rider or an explosive climber?
gruppeto993

02 Feb 2013 15:35

An 80kg rider can't possibly compete on this course. And losing 10kg in short period of time? No way.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Feb 2013 16:40

El Pistolero wrote:An 80kg rider can't possibly compete on this course. And losing 10kg in short period of time? No way.

Not while clean (ish) anyway.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

02 Feb 2013 17:47

gruppeto993 wrote:how difficult is it? I mean which riders do you think the course suits? I would really love to see him try. Who can be the main threat? a spring classics rider or an explosive climber?

Tailor made for Nibali. http://www.toscana2013.it/?page=9&percorsi=2
Too hard for Cancellara, IMO. But if he somehow survives 11 ascents, downhill finish will favor him.
User avatar serfla

02 Feb 2013 17:50

Ferminal wrote:http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=59094

no
24 51.06%

Spoke too soon:

Fabian cancellara ‏@f_cancellara

Dont belive what you read global regarding my raceprogramm. #Full fokus for the #classics after that i will rest, and decide with the team.
18-Valve. (pithy)

02 Feb 2013 18:18

he already said this months ago. Cant blame those who didnt pick Canc for their cq team for clutching at straws though;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

02 Feb 2013 18:19

The Hitch wrote:he already said this months ago. Cant blame those who didnt pick Canc for their cq team for clutching at straws though;)

Your reading comprehension seems to be lacking. ;)

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Spoke too soon:

Fabian cancellara ‏@f_cancellara

Dont belive what you read global regarding my raceprogramm. #Full fokus for the #classics after that i will rest, and decide with the team.
18-Valve. (pithy)

02 Feb 2013 18:30

If he rides the Tour I hope he goes the Hushovd way: breaks, mountains, descents, screw over the sprinters, anything to get wins instead of holding hands all day with Schleck.
User avatar trevim

02 Feb 2013 19:04

trevim wrote:If he rides the Tour I hope he goes the Hushovd way: breaks, mountains, descents, screw over the sprinters, anything to get wins instead of holding hands all day with Schleck.

Yes, I hope so too. Cance used to look after Frank Schleck, anyway. Isn't Voigt Andy's designated dom?

Anyway, I disagree with Hitch that it matters much CQ-points wise if he does the Tour or not. He doesn't care about any other autumn races but the World Championships and Lombardia, IMO. Races he can't win.
18-Valve. (pithy)

02 Feb 2013 19:09

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Yes, I hope so too. Cance used to look after Frank Schleck, anyway. Isn't Voigt Andy's designated dom?

Anyway, I disagree with Hitch that it matters much CQ-points wise if he does the Tour or not. He doesn't care about any other autumn races but the World Championships and Lombardia, IMO. Races he can't win.

With Leopard Trek I think it used to be O'Grady/Frank and Cancellara/Andy. At Radioshack I don't really know how that's gonna go. One thing is for sure, if Andy wasn't feeling safe on the wheel with Voigt at TDU I don't know what else they can do.

About the autumn classics, Cancellara should really try out Paris-Tours, Paris-Brussels, Piemonte, Varesine and all that stuff. That would round out his record and perhaps prepare him to some hillier races in the future where he can do well just like in Mendrisio.
User avatar trevim

02 Feb 2013 19:46

I think if he does win the classics that he's aiming for like flanders and roubaix, then he wouldn't really care that much about which races he does afterwards. Lombardia and the worlds are realistically too difficult. he can't beat guys like nibali, gilbert, valverde on courses like those. Go back to tour 2011 stage1 with the hill at the finish. Yes he is the strongest rider out there but he couldnt match gilbert on a hill with no cobbles.
gruppeto993

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing