Register

Will Nibali ever win the Tour?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Will Nibali ever win the Tour?

Poll ended at 14 May 2013 21:21

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 120

03 Feb 2013 23:55

[SIZE="3"]If Sastre, Evans & Wiggo were able to win the Tour, then why can't Nibali win it as well?[/SIZE] All of them entirely underestimated & yet they did it during their early thirties, so Vincenzo has the years to develop further his abilities & somehow he- like the ones I mentioned-finds himself in a situation where he can win it. It'd be unwise to count him out.
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

04 Feb 2013 00:04

A big NO.

Nibbles should focus on the Giro, much more interesting than the Touur anyway.
-
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

04 Feb 2013 00:09

He has all the ingredients, a bit lower natural talent than others, but that can be compensated for with tactics, mental fortitude and grinta. Gee if Sastre and Wiggo could win why can't The Shark?

Anyway I voted yes :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols

04 Feb 2013 00:52

Not particularly likely, but you can't rule it out simply because with injuries and clinic issues the field can always open up.
William H

04 Feb 2013 01:11

I don't get the feeling he really wants it.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

04 Feb 2013 01:17

ElChingon wrote:I don't get the feeling he really wants it.

:confused: What do you mean?
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

04 Feb 2013 01:35

Let's see

This year Contador, Froome...
Next year Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky..
2015 Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky, Kelderman, Dombrowski, Chaves...

NO WAY. A PODIUM one more time probably.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

04 Feb 2013 01:38

no hes a pretender not a contender
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

04 Feb 2013 01:50

despite voting no on the win i love how people continue to underrate nibali saying he will be lucky if he podiums again mentioning TJVG as some1 with more GT potential then him . . .

this reminds me of 2010 when we were all sure kreuziguer and gesink had 10 times the talent nibali had
User avatar Parrulo

04 Feb 2013 06:27

the asian wrote:I reckon he had his best chance last year.

Without Contador and Andy yes, but the route did not suit him at all.

I think Gesink has a lot of talent.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

04 Feb 2013 06:47

Unfortunately no. Maybe Astana puts a great team behind him as a GC captain and it's a status well deserved, but he lacks some engine/endurance in 3 weeks stage races. And descents are the only discipline where he is clearly a superior rider.

However I hope he can defeat Wiggo in Italy.
User avatar Forunculo

04 Feb 2013 07:38

Nibali will definitely win the Giro.

I just don't see him joining the legends by winning all 3 GTs
User avatar the asian

04 Feb 2013 08:11

Parrulo wrote:despite voting no on the win i love how people continue to underrate nibali saying he will be lucky if he podiums again mentioning TJVG as some1 with more GT potential then him . . .

this reminds me of 2010 when we were all sure kreuziguer and gesink had 10 times the talent nibali had

Tejay Van Garderen has much more talent/GT potential than Nibali. Nibali is a rider who has improved a lot year by year. And today is a great rider. But with the age of TVG Vincenzo was nobody in comparison with the american. What did Nibali with 23/24 years? At this age Van Garderen is the fifth of a Tour de France, best young rider and one of the five bests GT riders in the TT. I am not saying VG will **** Nibali in a couple of years, we dont now yet. But the guy has more potential than the sicilian.
User avatar Jason_Mercier

04 Feb 2013 08:12

Yes if it is constant descent - Nibali wins hands down!

In any case he is such a joy to watch even when he comes 2nd or 3rd
coz he shows he's trying hard. Lovable shark!
User avatar TourOfSardinia

04 Feb 2013 08:17

I think he can, but that's probably just blind fanboyism on my part :D.
User avatar Alphabet

04 Feb 2013 08:53

Yes, he will because even an oldish brit can do it :D
User avatar Zam_Olyas

04 Feb 2013 09:04

Jason_Mercier wrote:Let's see

This year Contador, Froome...
Next year Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky..
2015 Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky, Kelderman, Dombrowski, Chaves...

NO WAY. A PODIUM one more time probably.

I love the way you completely rule out andy schleck. Whats wrong with you?! You mention guys like pinot and quintana who are clearly big talents when it comes to grand tours but you completely rule out andy who has come second in 4 grand tours? I am no fan of his attitude tp racing but he is the second best climber there is after contador.
gruppeto993

04 Feb 2013 09:14

hfer07 wrote:[SIZE="3"]If Sastre, Evans & Wiggo were able to win the Tour, then why can't Nibali win it as well?[/SIZE] All of them entirely underestimated & yet they did it during their early thirties, so Vincenzo has the years to develop further his abilities & somehow he- like the ones I mentioned-finds himself in a situation where he can win it. It'd be unwise to count him out.

All of them had much more prerequisites to become a Tour winner than current Nibali

Let's expect top-10 from Quintana at least and a cascade of resultative attacks from Pinot in order to build such ambitious plans for them.
User avatar airstream

04 Feb 2013 09:21

Jason_Mercier wrote:Tejay Van Garderen has much more talent/GT potential than Nibali. Nibali is a rider who has improved a lot year by year. And today is a great rider. But with the age of TVG Vincenzo was nobody in comparison with the american. What did Nibali with 23/24 years? At this age Van Garderen is the fifth of a Tour de France, best young rider and one of the five bests GT riders in the TT. I am not saying VG will **** Nibali in a couple of years, we dont now yet. But the guy has more potential than the sicilian.

Let's wait before Tejay gets more results than 5th in the Tour. Gesink got 5th in the Tour at that age as well, I don't think anyone considers him a potential Tour winner either.
theyoungest

04 Feb 2013 09:28

It is unlikely but not impossible.

It depends on the field and the amount of problems the other contenders have during the race.

It would probably need a route with not a huge amount of TTing, and some big stages finishing in descents or small climbs after long descents.

He is highly unlikely to be either the best climber or the best TTer in the race so it is hard for him to gain time over rivals except descents.
Mad Elephant Man

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing