Log in:  

Register

Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour?

Poll ended at 17 May 2013 00:02

Yes.
42
27%
No (specify which rider).
71
46%
Contador can't be taken down in the tour.
28
18%
Contador is lucky that Wiggins will ride the giro (lol option)
12
8%
 
Total votes : 153

Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour?

06 Feb 2013 00:01

In a lot of threads this discussion is going around so let's put it in here.

Yeah there's a poll, can't resist :o
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,216
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

06 Feb 2013 00:19

What no one is tossing the great Tour winner Evans :D well me either.

Purito, (if he can switch teams in time)
Valverde, (at least was close at the Vuelta)
Wiggins, (if he can kick he post Tour bad habits ;) )
Froome, (the last one of the pack)
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
Points: 10 CN Infraction Points
User avatar ElChingon
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,919
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 03:19
Location: En el Internet, and Hiding from the UCI

06 Feb 2013 00:25

No. Is Froome, at this point, the biggest threat to Contador? Yes, but he is not the only one that I could see ending up beating him.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

06 Feb 2013 00:25

Jesus Manzano
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,073
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

06 Feb 2013 00:28

Rodriguez and Andy Schleck can't yet be ruled out.

If they are there, that is :o
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,771
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

06 Feb 2013 00:33

Rodriguez really should have beaten him at the Vuelta, but Katusha dropped the ball.
Schleck, on form, may be able to outclimb him.
And the next generation will take over sometime - Pinot, TJVG, Talansky etc.
Parker
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,054
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

06 Feb 2013 00:35

With luck, some names can beat him, not just Froome. Still, you forgot the Vino option and that's just unforgivable :D
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,383
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

06 Feb 2013 00:40

It always seemed obvious to me that it is a 3 man race. Al Andy and Chris.

Purito is simply not going to challenge. Dont get why his name is thrown around. Neither is Valverde who if Unzue plays it right wont even be top finisher for his team.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,446
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

06 Feb 2013 00:42

Parker wrote:Rodriguez really should have beaten him at the Vuelta, but Katusha dropped the ball.
Schleck, on form, may be able to outclimb him.
And the next generation will take over sometime - Pinot, TJVG, Talansky etc.


Problem was, with that Vuelta route there was no stage where they could offload the jersey to a breakaway for a few days. The only stage really suited to a breakaway was the Covadonga one, and that was too close to the end of the race to be suited to giving enough time to offload the jersey as they'd need to pick it up again the next day to Cuitu Negru. That meant Katyusha had to defend the jersey every day for two weeks. Not surprising they ran out of gas in the end.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,073
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

06 Feb 2013 00:56

The Hitch wrote:It always seemed obvious to me that it is a 3 man race. Al Andy and Chris.

Purito is simply not going to challenge. Dont get why his name is thrown around. Neither is Valverde who if Unzue plays it right wont even be top finisher for his team.


Why would you consider Andy and not Purito?

Andy will lose 1'30-2'00" on the 30km ITT, Purito maybe 30" more.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,771
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

06 Feb 2013 01:03

Valverde, Rodriguez, Gesink...I'm tired now...

PS: I didn't see, who's the OP again? :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,489
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

06 Feb 2013 01:22

Ferminal wrote:Why would you consider Andy and not Purito?

Andy will lose 1'30-2'00" on the 30km ITT, Purito maybe 30" more.


for a sec i thought you were serious.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,446
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

06 Feb 2013 01:28

Purito will never forgive what Alberto did to him in Fuente Dé.
Passionate about road cycling competition and tactics.
@bicifanatico
User avatar bicifan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 26 Jun 2012 00:06
Location: Porlamar

06 Feb 2013 01:30

Libertine Seguros wrote:Jesus Manzano


LOL, very good
Democracy has failed - time for something better.
Mad Elephant Man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 14:23

06 Feb 2013 01:33

No one will beat Contador if he arrives in top form unless he has considerable bad luck. The only person who can beat Contador is Contador by turning up and not being at his best.
Democracy has failed - time for something better.
Mad Elephant Man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 14:23

06 Feb 2013 01:36

The Hitch wrote:for a sec i thought you were serious.


How much time do you think Purito will lose in a 33km TT to Contador and Froome? He was around 2minutes back in the Giro on Pinotti (who got moto-paced?) over a similar distance so 2-2'30" on those two would seem reasonable.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,771
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

06 Feb 2013 01:44

bicifan wrote:Purito will never forgive what Alberto did to him in Fuente Dé.


I'm curious, why?? Riders like Contador are there to win above anything else, that means exploiting any weakness...Purito (unfortunately) only has himself and Katyusha to blame.
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat
Junior Member
 
Posts: 749
Joined: 24 May 2010 21:39
Location: North East Scotland

06 Feb 2013 01:53

Ferminal wrote:How much time do you think Purito will lose in a 33km TT to Contador and Froome? He was around 2minutes back in the Giro on Pinotti (who got moto-paced?) over a similar distance so 2-2'30" on those two would seem reasonable.


Its not even about the tts. They are a big reason of course but there's also the fact that the tour de France is less 1k at 15% and more 20k at 6%. Long drags.

He also doesn't have the team contador has.
No bonus seconds - which he relied on in vuelta and giro.
He doesn't have the ability to drop his competitors further than 500m out. How's he supposed to take any time? Make a minute on the ttt (and then somehow hold that through the itts and mountains ?



Siriuscat wrote:I'm curious, why?? Riders like Contador are there to win above anything else, that means exploiting any weakness...Purito (unfortunately) only has himself and Katyusha to blame.



Before this gets out of hand, rodriguez was the most graceful loser I've ever seen post fuente de heaping massive praise on contador for the attack. He certainly doesn't seem to think he has anything to forgive.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,446
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

06 Feb 2013 01:54

Purito and Schleck will lose too much in the TT's to threaten Contador (Cost them both GT's in the past and will hurt them badly again in this years tour). For me it's a two way fight between Froomy and Alberto.
MatParker117
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,358
Joined: 28 Aug 2012 22:05

06 Feb 2013 01:58

The Hitch wrote:Before this gets out of hand, rodriguez was the most graceful loser I've ever seen post fuente de heaping massive praise on contador for the attack. He certainly doesn't seem to think he has anything to forgive.


Hence my curiosity Hitch.....Purito is a true sporting professional, he knew berto got the better of him and was incredibly gracious and praiseworthy in defeat.
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat
Junior Member
 
Posts: 749
Joined: 24 May 2010 21:39
Location: North East Scotland

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cro racing, Forunculo, greenedge, HelloDolly, Velolover2 and 18 guests

Back to top