Register

Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Is Froome The only rider who can take down Contador in the tour?

Poll ended at 17 May 2013 00:02

Yes.
27%
No (specify which rider).
46%
Contador can't be taken down in the tour.
18%
Contador is lucky that Wiggins will ride the giro (lol option)
8%

Total votes : 153

06 Feb 2013 09:20

Strange that Il Killer wasn't included in that list habitually :)
User avatar airstream

06 Feb 2013 09:33

Reckon Roberto Ferrari with his giro style sprinting could take down contador in the tour...
BlenJones2

06 Feb 2013 10:01

Of course he is not the only rider who could win. Cycling is a chaotic sport. I think Andy Schleck could easily win, if he gets back to form. There are French riders, Purito, Hesjedal, Wiggo, two riders from BMC...

It is not a straight one on one. Alberto and Froome are worthy favourites, but I wouldn't be discounting too many others.
barmaher

06 Feb 2013 10:11

airstream wrote:Not less than 6-7 guys. New season. New start. One gets stronger, others get weaker. Who and how is unknown. So if one doesn't build up an artificial barrier between Contador and the rest as some like to do, there a lot of riders...

In short... Wiggins, not a lol option. :)
Good post! One of the very few here who uses common sense, and don't base his/her opinions on reading cycling magazines, or just pure peer pressure.

BlenJones2 wrote:Reckon Roberto Ferrari with his giro style sprinting could take down contador in the tour...

Now, how about Alberto be taking down Gangnam style? :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

06 Feb 2013 10:32

hfer07 wrote:to answer the OP:

YES

Froome to me is the only rider with the skills & the team to take the task against Contador & truly cause him trouble-and I'm saying BOTH IN SHAPE.
ASchleck ain't no threat to Froome -let alone AC in top form. Purito & Valverde aren't of Tour winner breed-they belong to the Giro & Vuelta.

Maybe first let Froome prove he's a threat to Andy Schleck... not the other way around.

Remember Wiggo in 2009, and how much better Contador & Schleck were? Was Froome really that much better than him?
theyoungest

06 Feb 2013 10:59

Honestly, I think a Wiggins in top form is a bigger threat to Contador than a Froome in top form.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

06 Feb 2013 11:03

theyoungest wrote:Maybe first let Froome prove he's a threat to Andy Schleck... not the other way around.
Wait a minute, let time proves first Schleck is at high-level form to dispute any GT. Then what you said.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

06 Feb 2013 11:05

theyoungest wrote:Maybe first let Froome prove he's a threat to Andy Schleck... not the other way around.

Remember Wiggo in 2009, and how much better Contador & Schleck were? Was Froome really that much better than him?

According to many people, Froome was a guarantor of Wiggins' unsinkability in the Tour, no?
User avatar airstream

06 Feb 2013 11:37

Does anyone remember the name of that kid that took Contador down a couple of years ago? The one by the side of the road? ;)
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

06 Feb 2013 16:47

airstream wrote:you soothe yourself. On that day he was considerably weaker. He would never let Rodriguez go just because of ego, pride and unwillingness to be dropped. Do you seriously think it doesn't count? Devil-may-care fan? I can undertand you.

Yes he took 40.seconds on Bola del.mundo has the last 3k at 12%. Which mountains in the tour will suit purito this way?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

06 Feb 2013 17:03

The Hitch wrote:It always seemed obvious to me that it is a 3 man race. Al Andy and Chris.

Purito is simply not going to challenge. Dont get why his name is thrown around. Neither is Valverde who if Unzue plays it right wont even be top finisher for his team.

+1.

This sums it up.
User avatar Escarabajo

06 Feb 2013 17:18

The Hitch wrote:Yes he took 40.seconds on Bola del.mundo has the last 3k at 12%. Which mountains in the tour will suit purito this way?

What you are saying now I think wouldn't work even in August because almost everyone would say 'oh, Purito never showed himself consistently on long climbs. He had to defend even against Hesjedal'. The Vuelta changed the situation so much? To me, it is not about 7% and 12%. It is about a qualitative growth of the rider. Rodriguez has been always very strong in in recent years. Probably, he improved more than anyone but Froome in the last 2 years. When he made his debut in the Tour in 2010, he started from an attack in Avoriaz. It's very eloquent. Yes, it was not too provident and Astana pulled him back. But it says about big reserves the cyclist had. And he is bringing these reserve to life. Seriously I can not understand how we can explain the things with average gradients. If a climber is very good, he is good at any climbs. That's a rule with no exceptions. Age is not his ally and situation with a team is uncertain too. But why he won't be among 2-3 best best climbers? Simply because it is the Tour? )
User avatar airstream

06 Feb 2013 17:20

Libertine Seguros wrote:Jesus Manzano

The most probable one.
User avatar the asian

06 Feb 2013 17:24

the asian wrote:The most probable one.

He is still not kicked away from the affair? :D
User avatar airstream

06 Feb 2013 17:28

If Froome is able to handle the pressure this july he will make a mockery of Alberto.

Frightening as it is, that is the deal. When he fails/cracks/cant handle the pressure they will have Wiggins to defend the honours of team sky.

Good team tactics.
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

06 Feb 2013 17:29

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:If Froome is able to handle the pressure this july he will make a mockery of Alberto.

:o:rolleyes: yea right
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

06 Feb 2013 17:32

LaFlorecita wrote::o:rolleyes: yea right
I fear for it, trully.

Much better in TT, in Tour form I guess he will be able to follow Contador in the mountains. Do the math.
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

06 Feb 2013 17:35

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:I fear for it, trully.

Much better in TT, in Tour form I guess he will be able to follow Contador in the mountains. Do the math.

much better? :confused:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

06 Feb 2013 18:05

LaFlorecita wrote:much better? :confused:

On flat TT's Froome is clearly better, but on a hard course Contador has the better climbing and descending skills. However in the Tour the time trials are mostly flat, making it harder for lighter riders like Alberto to limit their losses.

In terms of climbing they're just incomparable, both will be better than when they met in the Vuelta last year. The next couple of races(esp. Tirreno) will be a good indication of who's better uphill.
User avatar Pentacycle

06 Feb 2013 18:11

For me who is the a better climber of them is still a question. No matter what shape Froome had, he already attacked Contador twice, and one of attempts was successful. So I wouldn't hurry to ascribe Froome a deeply defensive role as you do.
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing