Register

Who's the sprint King..?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who's sprint king come July

Mark Cavendish
88%
Andre Greipel
6%
Peter Sagan
4%
Other
2%

Total votes : 153

08 Feb 2013 13:42

King Boonen wrote:Yawn. 10 char...

User avatar Ryo Hazuki

08 Feb 2013 14:20

spalco wrote:I'm a big Cavendish fan, but I have to admit, Greipel did look stronger in last year's Tour overall to me, but he had a lot of factors in his favour.

He did indeed. I think will be a close battle this year, but as already said Cavs the greater overall. I was just curious to see if there were anymore sprinters that people thought could really challenge. It does seem like a 3 horse race to me though.
User avatar Bexon30

08 Feb 2013 14:34

Afrank wrote:This year Cav will have a dedicated leadout team focused completely on him winning sprints in the Tour, so more often than not I think we'll see him beating Greipel.
T-A will be the 1st clash this year. Take a wild guess who's gonna have the excuses?
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

08 Feb 2013 14:37

spalco wrote:I'm a big Cavendish fan, but I have to admit, Greipel did look stronger in last year's Tour overall to me, but he had a lot of factors in his favour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHLWKzWUb0
Waterloo Sunrise

08 Feb 2013 14:40

Ryo Hazuki wrote:Image

Nowadays the little gizmo from Britain, unbeatable little mtf. Doesn't need a train.

But I like Greipel and will chear if he beats the Cav in any sprint.
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

08 Feb 2013 14:41

Yeah, that's once. Greipel also beat him in a stage in 2011. Plus, I'm sure Cav was still in the Greipel group in a stage Greipel won in 2012...

In 2011 Cav had a far superior lead-out so he won the most stages, in 2012 Greipel had a superior lead-out so he won 3 stages(should've been 4 without the dislocated shoulder). We'll see in 2013.

Of course I'm not taking into account results before 2011 because all the best sprinters were part of HTC before that year. :o

Don't understand me wrong though, Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

08 Feb 2013 14:48

El Pistolero wrote:Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.

Completely agree.
User avatar trevim

08 Feb 2013 14:49

Zam_Olyas wrote:Which pope? :D

Cavendish by the way.

John Paul III was fast, probably motorized though.

Cavendish seemed more at home in the chaotic sprints than in the armchair ride by Terpstra yesterday so Cav for sure. Griepel without Hendo and his Lotto chums is usually lost.
User avatar sublimit

08 Feb 2013 16:49

El Pistolero wrote:Don't understand me wrong though, Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.

A fair summary. I look forward to each chance we get to see them go head to head
forkboy84

08 Feb 2013 16:53

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, that's once. Greipel also beat him in a stage in 2011. Plus, I'm sure Cav was still in the Greipel group in a stage Greipel won in 2012...

In 2011 Cav had a far superior lead-out so he won the most stages, in 2012 Greipel had a superior lead-out so he won 3 stages(should've been 4 without the dislocated shoulder). We'll see in 2013.

Of course I'm not taking into account results before 2011 because all the best sprinters were part of HTC before that year. :o

Don't understand me wrong though, Cav will still beat Greipel more than vice versa, but the playing field will be more equal now.

The stage you're referring to Cav was sprinting from 35m behind so the comparison really isn't that straight.

Andre is benefiting from a train massively giving him a consistent results as he does have a good kick, but can't position himself. But i've yet to see anything to suggest Andre beating Cav should be treated as anything other than an occasional exception unless there is a very large differential in starting position. 2011 is the only straight up example I can recall.
Waterloo Sunrise

08 Feb 2013 16:58

i dont really understand the question

sprint king as in best sprinter in the world so entire palmares etc

or best sprinter in le tour or this season or something like that
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

08 Feb 2013 17:17

Where is Barry Markus ???:confused:
deValtos

08 Feb 2013 17:38

deValtos wrote:Where is Barry Markus ???:confused:

a bit wet behind the ears still. Let him clock up some wins this season, then he may fit in the 'best new sprinter' poll.
Dazed and Confused

08 Feb 2013 17:49

Don't be late Pedro wrote:Flat sprints = Cav
Uphill sprints = Sagan
Flat sprints just after a hill = Greipel

Touché.

Cav may indeed be the best pure, flat, drag race sprinter of all time. In my opinion he lacks the "sexyness" of a Cipollini, but as far as pure, top end speed is concerned he's tops.
User avatar rhubroma

08 Feb 2013 18:42

LaFlorecita wrote:i dont really understand the question

sprint king as in best sprinter in the world so entire palmares etc

or best sprinter in le tour or this season or something like that

Okay. My fault, I meant who will be best sprinter come this July. So tour yes but also the races between then and now...

Hope that cleats it up.
User avatar Bexon30

08 Feb 2013 18:43

Bexon30 wrote:Okay. My fault, I meant who will be best sprinter come this July. So tour yes but also the races between then and now...

Hope that cleats it up.

ok, I voted Greipel :D I like him but I also like cav. But Greipel is awesome
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

08 Feb 2013 18:52

On the stages that Greipel and Cavendish both contested the sprint, Cavendish won 3-1.

It's a good rivalry though (and actually more friendly than people think)
Parker

08 Feb 2013 21:16

Who would offer ante post odds better than evens on Cavendish winning on the Champs Elysees this year?

Answer your question?
User avatar cycladianpirate

09 Feb 2013 02:29

cycladianpirate wrote:Who would offer ante post odds better than evens on Cavendish winning on the Champs Elysees this year?

Answer your question?

Anyone that does would be having a huge chunk of my hard earned money on. Certainly all British bookie's would have Cav at the shortest possible price.
User avatar Pricey_sky

09 Feb 2013 04:31

I think Cav has the potential to lose at least 2 sprints that he will be in and probably some to crashes.
Guardini, Kittel, Greipel and maybe even Farrar/ Renshaw/ Demare could get a stage on a flat sprint.

Sagan should be up there on those stages as well but i think with Greipel/ Cav having lead out trains he will be lucky to win on the flat. He, Degnkolb and Goss (hopefully) will then fight it out for some of the harder stages.

Goss, Degenkolb, Sagan, Greipel and Cav my top 5 in the green jersey with Cav the winner but the others all have a shot.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing