Register

2013 Tour of Oman (11th-16th February), 2.HC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Feb 2013 09:19

wheelie1977 wrote:good morning cycling fans :-)

Day of truth and they're on the road. I see there's a wide variety of opinions on today's winner. I had a long think about it last night and I'm certain the stage will be won by a climber. :D

Here's my top 5

Chris Froome
Vincenzo Nibali @ st
Alberto Contador @st
Domenico Pozzovivo @ 15 seconds
Peter Velits @ 35 seconds

I think Alberto may attack all he likes this time but will find it difficult staying away from a tag-team effort of SKY driving from the bottom to almost 1 kilometre to go and then Froome and Nibali chasing him down. Froome to win the uphill sprint :-)

Nibali attacked from the bottom last year. That won't work this year so he can save energy by following wheels. He knows the hill which works in his favour. Froome has a strong enough team to do real damage on the climb and Contador, well I just want him beaten, no offence to any of his fans.

At least you're honest lol
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

Wiggins has been a spare part in this race. Pretty sure he'd rather be alone training elsewhere. Sky have made a mistake bringing him here.
User avatar UncleTupelo

theyoungest wrote:Contador can just attack the Sky train at 2 k to go, Wiggo isn't going to keep him from doing so ;)

Why would you want him to be beaten, he's the best climber in the world, and a very aggressive one at that.

very good point theyoungest :)
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Feb 2013 09:22

wheelie1977 wrote:good morning cycling fans :-)

Day of truth and they're on the road. I see there's a wide variety of opinions on today's winner. I had a long think about it last night and I'm certain the stage will be won by a climber. :D

Here's my top 5

Chris Froome
Vincenzo Nibali @ st
Alberto Contador @st
Domenico Pozzovivo @ 15 seconds
Peter Velits @ 35 seconds

I think Alberto may attack all he likes this time but will find it difficult staying away from a tag-team effort of SKY driving from the bottom to almost 1 kilometre to go and then Froome and Nibali chasing him down. Froome to win the uphill sprint :-)

Nibali attacked from the bottom last year. That won't work this year so he can save energy by following wheels. He knows the hill which works in his favour. Froome has a strong enough team to do real damage on the climb and Contador, well I just want him beaten, no offence to any of his fans.

Sky driving the pace hasn't stopped Contador from successfully attacking them on 2 prior occasions, why do you think they'll be successful now? I think Pozzovivo, at 52kg, has a real chance to slip away for the victory as the big guns watch each other.
"The truth is when I race, it's 100% me" Alberto Contador

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
User avatar Publicus

14 Feb 2013 09:22

just a real shame there are no pictures. apparently it costs €50,000 per day to cover a race!

when I win the Euromillions I'll set up a broadcasting company for cycling races. direct competition to ASO

First race will be around the roads in ireland I grew up in - De Ronde van Ireland. Belgium shouldn't have all the good races !
wheelie1977

14 Feb 2013 09:24

i'm only hoping by the way - i see Contador as the man to beat on everything we've seen this week and in San Luis. When he attacks, Im hoping that the 2 riders Nibali and Froome have ridden into form overnight :-)
wheelie1977

14 Feb 2013 09:25

Bit late but, jeez! Traksel really want that polka-dot jersey!:eek:
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.

Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
User avatar RedheadDane

14 Feb 2013 09:27

Can't believe this race has no live coverage given the range of talent there.
Anyway, hope anyone but Sky take the stage.
One Eyed Aussie

14 Feb 2013 09:32

One Eyed Aussie wrote:Can't believe this race has no live coverage given the range of talent there.
Anyway, hope anyone but Sky take the stage.

I sure would have loved to be able to watch the final climb to the Jabal Al Akhdhar. I'm sure that Contador will attack...and win the stage!
User avatar Sofa Rider

14 Feb 2013 09:39

Keep us updated! :)

Twitter is blocked here :(
Lance Armstrong

14 Feb 2013 09:46

wheelie1977 wrote:i'm only hoping by the way - i see Contador as the man to beat on everything we've seen this week and in San Luis. When he attacks, Im hoping that the 2 riders Nibali and Froome have ridden into form overnight :-)

It doesn't matter if they've form.

Contador still owns them.
User avatar Miburo

14 Feb 2013 09:53

Katusha is helping Astana and Saxo at the front. Purito must be feeling better today. Either that or they're working for Brutt. :p
User avatar jaylew

14 Feb 2013 09:56

Break has 3'45" at 74.5km

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

User avatar Publicus

14 Feb 2013 10:00

Miburo wrote:It doesn't matter if they've form.

Contador still owns them.

Froome in form is a dangerous animal, we've all seen it last season and in the Vuelta the year before. I just can't wait to see what exactly he has in the locker now that Tim Kerrison has his hands on him.

Nibali maybe less so but come July, Contador won't be owning anyone. The Vuelta success was a Spanish fiasco of the highest order and it's a Grand Tour that can't be read into too much from a Contador v Froome point of view. Expecting the fireworks in July, maybe even sooner.
wheelie1977

14 Feb 2013 10:05

wheelie1977 wrote:Froome in form is a dangerous animal, we've all seen it last season and in the Vuelta the year before. I just can't wait to see what exactly he has in the locker now that Tim Kerrison has his hands on him.

Nibali maybe less so but come July, Contador won't be owning anyone. The Vuelta success was a Spanish fiasco of the highest order and it's a Grand Tour that can't be read into too much from a Contador v Froome point of view. Expecting the fireworks in July, maybe even sooner.

How people even can imagine that Nibali is a thread for Contador is beyond me.

Froome, ok, he's dangerous. But if we get Contador from '11 I doubt Froome will be able to follow that Contador.
User avatar Miburo

Rodriguez threw the Vuelta? :confused:
Ferminal

wheelie1977 wrote:Froome in form is a dangerous animal, we've all seen it last season and in the Vuelta the year before. I just can't wait to see what exactly he has in the locker now that Tim Kerrison has his hands on him.

You seem to be talking based on hope alone. Nowhere Froome has shown he's at Contador's level. Getting second in a Tour de France without the two best climbers of the Tour in the years before doesn't tell us anything.
theyoungest

14 Feb 2013 10:06

I think you are letting your dislike/distrust of Contador color your analysis.

User avatar Publicus

14 Feb 2013 10:07

wheelie1977 wrote:just a real shame there are no pictures. apparently it costs €50,000 per day to cover a race!

when I win the Euromillions I'll set up a broadcasting company for cycling races. direct competition to ASO

First race will be around the roads in ireland I grew up in - De Ronde van Ireland. Belgium shouldn't have all the good races !

Surely you don't need to win the Euromillions? Just beat the bookies at every race this year and you'll make a fortune. Shouldn't be too tricky judging from the schtick you've posted on this thread so far.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

14 Feb 2013 10:12

Gap is 3'20 with 60km to go

User avatar Publicus

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing