Log in:  

Register

2013 Spring Classics

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

19 Feb 2013 00:13

Pentacycle wrote:Lol, both Terpstra and Chava did a lot of work for Boonen during the race, tbh Chavanel is overrated on cobbles. He's never been that good in P-R, even without the flat tires. Still for Niki it was the best form of his career, Chavanel is way more reliable. He's also a much better climber.


Exactly what did Terpstra do for Boonen at the Ronde? A few pulls after that crash on one of the hills, but that was about it. When he attacked near the final he was probably trying to pull a Devolder and didn't help Boonen anyway. At Roubaix he was a great domestique though. Chava had a flat tire there, but yeah, it's not suited to him, he can still ride a top ten there though without bad luck.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

19 Feb 2013 03:02

Viking wrote:I haven't heard anything about how Flecha is riding so far. The good news for Flecha fans is that I'm pretty sure Vacansoleil will give him full support at RVV and PR.


He'll be there. He's usually fairly quiet leading up to the classics. Same race prep as last year and he finished 3rd at Het Volk(easier to spell). Actually, nice record in the last four years: 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
User avatar jaylew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,617
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

19 Feb 2013 07:45

El Pistolero wrote:Exactly what did Terpstra do for Boonen at the Ronde? A few pulls after that crash on one of the hills, but that was about it. When he attacked near the final he was probably trying to pull a Devolder and didn't help Boonen anyway. At Roubaix he was a great domestique though. Chava had a flat tire there, but yeah, it's not suited to him, he can still ride a top ten there though without bad luck.


Then Chava wasn't a big help as well... He couldn't close a gap to the great Luca Paolini, who almost got with Boonen's group. And why is it suddenly not helping your team if you're off the front? Terpstra began climbing the Kwaremont 10 seconds in front of the main field, everyone knew this wasn't the right move. Both Chavanel and Terpstra completely gave 100% for Boonen, right from 50k to the finish in every group they got into.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,147
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

19 Feb 2013 08:45

Pentacycle wrote:Then Chava wasn't a big help as well... He couldn't close a gap to the great Luca Paolini, who almost got with Boonen's group. And why is it suddenly not helping your team if you're off the front? Terpstra began climbing the Kwaremont 10 seconds in front of the main field, everyone knew this wasn't the right move. Both Chavanel and Terpstra completely gave 100% for Boonen, right from 50k to the finish in every group they got into.

The Sporza guys have a bit of a man crush going for Chavanel, which tends to cloud the views over in ol' Belgium.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

19 Feb 2013 10:04

Would love to see Flecha win P-R, if there is a God, please make it so...
Winterfold
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,508
Joined: 30 Jul 2009 22:54

19 Feb 2013 10:38

theyoungest wrote:The Sporza guys have a bit of a man crush going for Chavanel, which tends to cloud the views over in ol' Belgium.


That's the sort of feeling I get as well watching Sporza. They see him as an incredible engine, but his best spring results are 2nd at the Ronde, 8th in Roubaix, and 16th in the Amstel Gold, at 33 years of age. Tbh that isn't much, he's a much better Tour stage hunter than classics rider.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,147
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

19 Feb 2013 18:08

You forget to mention that he only started targeting (Flemish) classics five years ago, and that he's been on the same team as Tom Boonen since 2009.
Fus087
Junior Member
 
Posts: 524
Joined: 27 Jan 2011 20:43

19 Feb 2013 18:49

Fus087 wrote:You forget to mention that he only started targeting (Flemish) classics five years ago, and that he's been on the same team as Tom Boonen since 2009.


Right, I remember his 2008 Dwaas Doors victory in Cofidis colours, what a day.

He startet late with targeting the cobbled classics, but Duclos-Lasalle (Gilbert, not Herve) was 38 or so when he first won P-R. The cool thing about Mimosa is that he also does Liege regularly.

Don´t know when Cancellara will finally start to target Liege and Lombardia, after having announced that years ago. He never even tried!
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barmaher, Bernie's eyesore, BlurryVII, Bushman, CraZyCaLL, del1962, DJ Sprtsch, Eyeballs Out, F e r o x, Gigs_98, Hugo Koblet, infeXio, Jalgratas95, janraaskalt2, JRTK73, lemon cheese cake, Lexman, personal, PeterB, rainman, Sleimas, slosada, staubsauger, sulgpallur, Wallenquist, wirral and 95 guests

Back to top