Register

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Poll ended at 09 Apr 2013 14:08

Yes
14%
No.
61%
Not really but his racing style can annoy me.
25%

Total votes : 157

18 Feb 2013 14:06

Personally i don't think he is but sometimes it gets annoying when i usually see him on someone's wheel but he attacks unlike others. So i wouldn't call him a complete wheelsucker, that's silly.

Edit: thinking about it.

In classics he's usually pretty agressive while in GT's he takes a way other approach. Wait until last km was his attack in the giro and vuelta last year. Although he tried for a little bit on the mortirolo but that ended quickly.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

18 Feb 2013 14:07

Yes .
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

18 Feb 2013 14:12

For a recent example:the Tour of Oman. Also an attack in the last km, which wasn't totally without any risks too.

And is wheelsucking that bad? We can't all be like Contador...
User avatar Pentacycle

18 Feb 2013 14:12

To me a wheelsucker is someone like Leipheimer that does it even though he has no chance winning a spint. JRod is just playing at his strenghts
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

18 Feb 2013 14:14

Pentacycle wrote:For a recent example:the Tour of Oman. Also an attack in the last km, which wasn't totally without any risks too.

I don't know if this is aimed at me, if so then you haven't read my post :D
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

18 Feb 2013 14:22

lol, no of course not. Next poll.
Dazed and Confused

18 Feb 2013 14:22

For one the poll is absolutely preposterous. Rodriguez always attacks
User avatar airstream

18 Feb 2013 14:27

Yes he is too some extend (but its a question of definition), but I would too if I had the best sprint in the end, just like I would if I had the best TT, and in general I dont mind wheelsuckers at all. Its part of the game and different ridingstyles and tactics is part of what makes cycling interesting.
MADRAZO

18 Feb 2013 14:34

i dont think wheelsucking is as much about whether someone attacks or not as whether they contribute to the chase when they dont attack.

I dont think he does this. I think Rodriguez when there are no teammates with him does his fair share of pulling. At least i saw him doing just that with froome in Oman 2 days ago even though since Froome was in the red jersey he could have just said - **** you froome, you do all the work if you want to keep this jersey. And many would have done that.

And imo his failure to attack in the giro wasnt wheelsucking so much as boring and bad strategy on his part. But its not like he glued hisself to Ryders wheel for the whole race. He just left his attacks till late but they werent groups of 5 riders but groups of 20 and 30.

Similarly in the Vuelta though he followed Contador when Contador attacked, when they were in the same group he didnt sit the whole time behind Contador making sure that Contador couldnt attack. He actually often contributed to the pulls himself or sat behind Valverde and this allowed Contador to attack 10 gazzilion times every stage because when caught J Rod would allow him to sit at the back of the group again.

Contrast this to Schleck and Contador for example doing trackstands in order to make sure one or the other couldnt attack, especially on Tourmalet where Contador (who otherwise is the last name that comes to mind on wheelsucking) never let Schleck get behind him for fear of an attack. he stayed on Schlecks wheel the whole way up the climb.

J Rods Lombardy win also goes a way to play down claims that he is a wheelsucker. That was a great attack from 12k out or something and he held of a chasing pack of half a dozen riders for 10 k on the flat with just a 9 second advantage.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

18 Feb 2013 14:39

Pentacycle wrote:For a recent example:the Tour of Oman. Also an attack in the last km, which wasn't totally without any risks too.

Even Contador wheelsucks once in a while :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8CivgHldR0w#t=1291s
User avatar wwabbit

18 Feb 2013 14:52

No, he's not...but even if he is, that part of cycling tactics.

Is this a Purito bashing thread?
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

18 Feb 2013 14:53

Don't be daft.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

18 Feb 2013 15:00

he always wants to win, he races, so no he is not a pure wheelsucker, like levi or wiggo.
Passionate about road cycling competition and tactics.
@bicifanatico
User avatar bicifan

18 Feb 2013 15:04

Vino attacks everyone wrote:To me a wheelsucker is someone like Leipheimer that does it even though he has no chance winning a spint. JRod is just playing at his strenghts

My thoughts too. Leipheimer is the first name which comes to mind when "wheelsucker" is mentioned and Purito isn't that bad, especially in the classics.
User avatar the asian

18 Feb 2013 15:08

Like someone else said, not everyone can be Contador. Makes me laugh when people are screaming "attack, attack attack!!!" to their favourite riders. If they could attack why wouldn't they, that's what makes cycling such a great sport imo, you know that everyone is on the absolute limit and you can't really fault them for not "trying" harder.

That being said, obviously we have seen that J-rod has the ability to drop just about anyone in a steep uphill finish, and I am sure more people would like to see him attack from further out, but why change what is working?
User avatar Unkown

18 Feb 2013 15:09

Rodriguez is as bad as Big Mig. Horrible rider.
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

18 Feb 2013 15:30

airstream wrote:For one the poll is absolutely preposterous. Rodriguez always attacks

No he doesn't. He always sprints.

Big difference ;)
User avatar Netserk

18 Feb 2013 15:38

Rodriguez attacked at Morzine/Avoriaz, Mende, Zoncolan, Sestrieres, Collet d'Allevard, Piani de Resinelli and Bola del Mundo. At least 3 of these attempts were resultative. I think if we take all GC riders and compare then in this regard, he will lose only to Contador, however some people anyway vote 'YES'.
User avatar airstream

18 Feb 2013 15:40

airstream wrote:Rodriguez attacked at Morzine/Avoriaz, Mende, Zoncolan, Sestrieres, Collet d'Allevard, Piani de Resinelli and Bola del Mundo. At least 3 of these attempts were resultative. I think if we take all GC riders and compare then in this regard, he will lose only to Contador, however some people anyway vote 'YES'.

He will clearly lose to Nibali. A true attacker.
User avatar Netserk

18 Feb 2013 15:41

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:Rodriguez is as bad as Big Mig. Horrible rider.

Miguel was cool, IE waiting for his teamate Delgado as a domestique, and hanging onto "pure climbers" on the big climbs like Virenque, Chiappuci, (cough).
User avatar sublimit

Next

Return to Professional road racing