Register

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

Poll ended at 09 Apr 2013 14:08

Yes
14%
No.
61%
Not really but his racing style can annoy me.
25%

Total votes : 157

18 Feb 2013 15:44

Netserk wrote:He will clearly lose to Nibali. A true attacker.

Nibali showed pulls mostly, not attacks. It seems to me Nibali committed one soto speak attack - at tirreno
User avatar airstream

18 Feb 2013 15:49

airstream wrote:Nibali showed pulls mostly, not attacks. It seems to me Nibali committed one soto speak attack - at tirreno

Nibali attacked in the last four mountain stages of the tour, L-B-L, MSR, T-A, GdL, Vuelta and Giro.

Nibali attacks all year in almost every race where he has form.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

18 Feb 2013 15:53

Netserk wrote:Nibali attacked in the last four mountain stages of the tour, L-B-L, MSR, T-A, GdL, Vuelta and Giro.

Nibali attacks all year in almost every race where he has form.

Ah, ok. I agree. I just rate uphill moves much higher than any other and Nibali traditionally has problem with that.
User avatar airstream

18 Feb 2013 16:06

Vino attacks everyone wrote:To me a wheelsucker is someone like Leipheimer that does it even though he has no chance winning a spint. JRod is just playing at his strenghts

Pretty much agree with this. Plus Purito has too frequently attacked in the past and chased down others that were attacking him to classify him as a wheelsucker.

Rodriguez also isn't the kind of rider that stays glued to his teammates or other riders wheels and wait for the attacking rider to be reeled back in, I consider that wheelsucking. Rodriguez will follow the attacking rider.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

18 Feb 2013 17:52

No, Was Tour of Oman the first race you have ever watched? Sounds like it.
Peter Sagan:
"I under-evaluated him (Gerald Ciolek) a little bit. I was watching Cancellara, who was trying to break free, and maybe I did too much work," Sagan said. "Ciolek stayed in the wheels and he took my wheel to do the sprint and was able to beat me. I went too early in the sprint."

17/03/13 Milan - San Remo

Peter Sagan:
“We went away in a break on the Oude Kwaremont, but then Cancellara went for it on the Paterberg and I wasn’t able to follow him,”

31/03/13 Tour of Flanders
User avatar HiCadence

18 Feb 2013 19:03

J-Rod isn't a wheelsucker. He just has a limited range for attacks and sometimes doesn't dare to take too much of a risk. Take Stelvio, where he needed time from Hesjedal, but the attack still only came with a kilometre to go. As a result he can sit in the bunch a lot (plus, at 56kg and 1'63 or whatever he is he can be quite easily bullied out of good spots in the group) and this can make him frustrating to watch, even for those who like him. And besides, as the leader he had every right to wheelsuck on Stelvio, it's just that he should have known it was counterproductive to his chances of victory.

Also, I think this ought to be written off in one sentence: Joaquím Rodríguez won a monument, solo. That's the point where wheelsucker tags have to be thrown off. When Evans won the Worlds riding in solo (with J-Rod behind him of course), that was the final nail in the coffin for Evans the Wheelsucker: it was over, that criticism would no longer be valid. Come to think of it, Mendrisio should be enough evidence that Purito's no wheelsucker. He was in the break of the day, he threw at least one attack when the elites made it up to them, and he and Kolobnev did their turns to try to pull Evans back, he was just shot from the effort and Evans was too strong.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

18 Feb 2013 19:15

Libertine Seguros wrote:J-Rod isn't a wheelsucker. He just has a limited range for attacks and sometimes doesn't dare to take too much of a risk. Take Stelvio, where he needed time from Hesjedal, but the attack still only came with a kilometre to go. As a result he can sit in the bunch a lot (plus, at 56kg and 1'63 or whatever he is he can be quite easily bullied out of good spots in the group) and this can make him frustrating to watch, even for those who like him. And besides, as the leader he had every right to wheelsuck on Stelvio, it's just that he should have known it was counterproductive to his chances of victory.

Also, I think this ought to be written off in one sentence: Joaquím Rodríguez won a monument, solo. That's the point where wheelsucker tags have to be thrown off. When Evans won the Worlds riding in solo (with J-Rod behind him of course), that was the final nail in the coffin for Evans the Wheelsucker: it was over, that criticism would no longer be valid. Come to think of it, Mendrisio should be enough evidence that Purito's no wheelsucker. He was in the break of the day, he threw at least one attack when the elites made it up to them, and he and Kolobnev did their turns to try to pull Evans back, he was just shot from the effort and Evans was too strong.

I agree that Purito wasn't a wheelsucker back when he was a dom for Valv. The way I see Stelvio, is that it ofc was okay for him to expect Hesjedal to pull the group, but the fact that he didn't go with Scarponi when he attacked, but waited until the kite so he could do his sprint, is IMO what a wheelsucker with a sprint like Purito would do.

To me Purito is as one-dimensional as Cav. Be it hills or mountain, he will wait until he is sure that he can sprint the rest of the way.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

18 Feb 2013 19:26

Netserk wrote:I agree that Purito wasn't a wheelsucker back when he was a dom for Valv. The way I see Stelvio, is that it ofc was okay for him to expect Hesjedal to pull the group, but the fact that he didn't go with Scarponi when he attacked, but waited until the kite so he could do his sprint, is IMO what a wheelsucker with a sprint like Purito would do.
This was the first time Purito was that close to winning a GT, so in hindsight, I'm pretty sure he's regretted not attacking earlier, but remember the next dat was the ITT so that was on his mind as well.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

18 Feb 2013 19:51

he said in an interview a couple weeks ago that he needed to be even more conservative to win a GT so i am not sure he thinks he should have attacked earlier on the stelvio.

honestly i don't think he is a total wheelsucker but his style of waiting until he is an anaerobic effort away from the finishing line to make his move, which he uses most of the times, annoys me.

long story short: sestrieres purito = cool
cuito negro, stelvio, pampeago, ancares purito = not cool

honestly since he wheelsucked pozzovivo all the way till 500 meters to go on pampeago while hesjedal was riding away i could never cheer for him again.
User avatar Parrulo

18 Feb 2013 20:11

Parrulo wrote:he said in an interview a couple weeks ago that he needed to be even more conservative to win a GT so i am not sure he thinks he should have attacked earlier on the stelvio.

Yep. In another interview he said that when Hesjedal attacked a few days before that he let him go so hesjedal would get the jersey. And that way there was less pressure for him.

He says that that was his fault, not the stelvio stage so yeah.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

18 Feb 2013 20:21

Wtf?

He just plays to his strength, and as it is pretty potent it's up to the others to outthink him or prey on his weakness ie FTP eg Contador in Vuelta.

But if that wasn't enough - Lombardy - case dismissed.

Next.
Winterfold

18 Feb 2013 20:46

I think the term wheelsucker is pretty stupid to begin with and doesn't apply to very many riders. Most of the time it's riders just playing to their strength in a given situation, following orders from the DS, or simply not being strong enough to attack or pull.

I'd really only give that title to someone who, on a regular basis, rarely takes a pull when in a break or in a chase.
User avatar jaylew

18 Feb 2013 21:12

Libertine Seguros wrote:Also, I think this ought to be written off in one sentence: Joaquím Rodríguez won a monument, solo.
I must have missed that one, could you please point to the one.

Come on Libertine, you are a great poster but me thinks you like Rodriguez that much u cannot see for what he is: a great wheelsucker who blows everyone away on the last 2K's.

Nothing wrong with that, per se. He does it with some grace.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

18 Feb 2013 21:38

I don't consider anyone to be 'wheelsuckers'. How about that.
DominicDecoco

18 Feb 2013 22:52

He's not a wheelsucker, but he lacks confidence in himself or maybe its determination he's skimping on (compared to the top GT riders). Relying on your strengths is fair enough but I think he's convinced himself that the less painful route (all out attack 3km-0km to go) is always the best.

How on earth did he think he was going to make up 2:21 on Contador on the Bola del Mundo attacking with 3km to the summit ?? Seems the answer to that is that he didn't or he would've gone earlier ... and he certainly had the strength to do it !

While the Lombardia win was impressive I don't think its a great counter argument; sure he attacks at just over 10km out, but the last 9km are nearly all descending ... and in a classic it's all about the win and not about the time so playing to his super uphill sprint is exactly what he should do. He needs to up his mental game for GT's though.
deValtos

18 Feb 2013 22:57

DominicDecoco wrote:I don't consider anyone to be 'wheelsuckers'. How about that.
Must be because you know dik on cycling then.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

18 Feb 2013 23:04

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:I must have missed that one, could you please point to the one.

Come on Libertine, you are a great poster but me thinks you like Rodriguez that much u cannot see for what he is: a great wheelsucker who blows everyone away on the last 2K's.

Nothing wrong with that, per se. He does it with some grace.

Think you might want to reconsider.

Monument - Lombardia 2012
Attack - 8km out
Stayed away - Til the end
Won by - 9 seconds

Sormano 1 2
Followed by Villa Vergano KO

That isn't the actions of a wheel sucker by any stretch of the imagination. It's a ride in the style of Gilbert or Kelly.
User avatar ultimobici

18 Feb 2013 23:23

deValtos wrote:How on earth did he think he was going to make up 2:21 on Contador on the Bola del Mundo attacking with 3km to the summit ?? Seems the answer to that is that he didn't or he would've gone earlier ... and he certainly had the strength to do it !
Based on what? So you know his body better than him?
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

18 Feb 2013 23:34

cineteq wrote:Based on what? So you know his body better than him?

No. What I will say though; when he made his attack you could see from following the the time gaps he consistently increased the gap between himself and Contador every km.

While it's not necessarily true, you could conclude from that (i) he was stronger than Contador on that day and (ii) he would've had a bigger time gap at the finish had he attacked at 4km to go instead of 3km.

Just because he understands his body better than everyone else doesn't mean he will get the best use out of it (i.e he doesn't have the best mentality)
deValtos

18 Feb 2013 23:41

deValtos wrote:While it's not necessarily true, you could conclude from that (i) he was stronger than Contador on that day and (ii) he would've had a bigger time gap at the finish had he attacked at 4km instead of 3km.
Yes he was stronger that day. Had he known Contador wasn't feeling that great...It's easy to talk after the fact.

You're right he hasn't been really strong up there, but he's improved from Giro to Lombardia. The guy's just started challenging GTs as of last year FFS.
User avatar cineteq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing