Register

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

18 Feb 2013 16:12

Couldnt find one of him, and didnt know where else to post this interview with him.

http://www.elpedaldefrodo.com/rigoberto-uran-sky/

Either way he deserves his.own thread by now.since he is rapidly making a place for.himself at the very top of the peloton and definately good enough to get his own team if he wanted it.

Basically talks about his career.from.first getting on a bike.to.the present. The races he won the injuries he had the teams he was with fellow.Colombians who are coming through, the usual.

Also the future his aims for this season- ardennes and world championships.
His career aim - to podium a grand tour.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

18 Feb 2013 16:18

Politically correct term these days is "discussion thread" I believe
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

18 Feb 2013 16:21

Christian wrote:Politically correct term these days is "discussion thread" I believe

But this aint tour time so it might pass me thinks. Shall we compose a song for him?
User avatar Zam_Olyas

18 Feb 2013 17:14

Zam_Olyas wrote:But this aint tour time so it might pass me thinks. Shall we compose a song for him?

Yes, time to have a song about him.
User avatar SafeBet

18 Feb 2013 17:22

Christian wrote:Politically correct term these days is "discussion thread" I believe

As Walter Sobchuk would say: "Dude, appreciation thread is not the preferred nomenclature. Discussion thread, please."

On topic, interesting that he mentions the WC, he'll be one favourites there surely.
kanari

18 Feb 2013 17:29

SafeBet wrote:Yes, time to have a song about him.

Yea and maybe emma the former amici winner could sing it one day :D

On topic : Is he riding The Giro this year?
User avatar Zam_Olyas

18 Feb 2013 17:40

Zam_Olyas wrote:Yea and maybe emma the former amici winner could sing it one day :D

I have no idea. Ask Ryo :D

Well can't say I'm a huge fan of Emma, we might find some better singers.
User avatar SafeBet

18 Feb 2013 18:06

Zam_Olyas wrote:Yea and maybe emma the former amici winner could sing it one day :D

He is along with Henao on "slaving duties" for Wiggo...

Rigo should be given more freedom to aim for other races, because he's just winning the left overs of the season & what Sky Lords aren't interested in ...:mad:
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

18 Feb 2013 18:07

Sadly his career aim rather gives the game away. Was a very exciting talent a few years back, and has now matured in to a very good, but not great rider. Podium seems a sensible target if a weaker field comes along at some point.
Waterloo Sunrise

18 Feb 2013 19:47

changed thread tittle.

anyway to be honest i expected uran to already be a top rider by now but he still hasn't delivered, the talent appears to be there but something must be missing
User avatar Parrulo

18 Feb 2013 23:33

Winning that Suisse stage as a 20 year old seems such a long time ago. Keep forgetting how young this guy still is
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

19 Feb 2013 03:40

I met Rigo in Vancouver in November. That was the highlight of 2012 for me.
Buffalo

19 Feb 2013 03:54

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Sadly his career aim rather gives the game away. Was a very exciting talent a few years back, and has now matured in to a very good, but not great rider. Podium seems a sensible target if a weaker field comes along at some point.

Parrulo wrote:
anyway to be honest i expected uran to already be a top rider by now but he still hasn't delivered, the talent appears to be there but something must be missing

I think he took a big step forward this year and his best results will happen once he goes to a less stacked team. That said, he really seems to have blossomed at Sky.
User avatar jaylew

19 Feb 2013 08:47

i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

Who would have thought Contador would become the dominator he is after his 2005 Tour?
Or Froome, when you saw him at BArloworld.

On the other side, Fothen was predicted to be GC podium finisher and rides 2.2 races in his best GC age, nowadays.
Many people expected to dominate the GCs in the GTs for many years, after 2004.

And so on...
RHRH19861986

19 Feb 2013 08:56

RHRH19861986 wrote:i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

Who would have thought Contador would become the dominator he is after his 2005 Tour?

On the other side, Fothen was predicted to be GC podium finisher and rides 2.2 races in his best GC age, nowadays.

And so on...

Contador was talked about as a future star in those days, although more as a TTer who could climb that a dominant climber. (Was 2005 the year he was very good in the Pais Vasco?)

It's a valid point though.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

19 Feb 2013 09:36

will10 wrote:Contador was talked about as a future star in those days, although more as a TTer who could climb that a dominant climber. (Was 2005 the year he was very good in the Pais Vasco?)

It's a valid point though.

Yes, you´re right, must have been the year when Di Luca won Pais Vasco.

I remember Saiz predicted AC as future Tour winner already in 2005, when there was quite a hype around Valverde.

BTW, in autumn of 2004, I thought Santi Perez might be a future GT winner :D Sorry, I´m getting OT.
RHRH19861986

19 Feb 2013 09:50

It's good that he seems to be more focused on one-day races this year. That's where I think he could still make the step up in class, not in GTs.
User avatar Duartista

19 Feb 2013 10:01

Duartista wrote:It's good that he seems to be more focused on one-day races this year. That's where I think he could still make the step up in class, not in GTs.

I agree with this. He seems to have too many bad days in grand tours, and his TTing isn't quite strong enough, as far as I can see.
element

19 Feb 2013 10:03

RHRH19861986 wrote:Yes, you´re right, must have been the year when Di Luca won Pais Vasco.

I remember Saiz predicted AC as future Tour winner already in 2005, when there was quite a hype around Valverde.

BTW, in autumn of 2004, I thought Santi Perez might be a future GT winner :D Sorry, I´m getting OT.

No reason not to think Santi was gonna win all three GTs in 2005, the way he rode the last week of that Vuelta....yikes.
User avatar will10

19 Feb 2013 11:37

RHRH19861986 wrote:i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

And so on...

me and tons of others. he was always a MASSIVE talent
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

Next

Return to Professional road racing