Register

Will ___ ever win a Grand Tour?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Will ____ ever win a grand tour?

A Schleck*
16%
F Schleck
1%
Froome
39%
Scarponi*
0%
Rodriguez
21%
Samu Sanchez
4%
VDB2
3%
Gesink
10%
Rujano
2%
Kreuziger
4%

Total votes : 280

19 Feb 2013 00:22

Froome will win every race he enters from now until 2019. This will include Roubaix.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

19 Feb 2013 01:22

cineteq wrote:How about Tejay?

He would be one of the up and coming riders mentioned in the question. Tejay, Pinot, Rolland and a number of others are coming and will hit the top level soon. The question is when they reach that level who will get pushed out and have missed their chance of winning

I went Andy (he will eventually focus on other than the tour), Froome and j-rod. Although I also forgot how old j-rod is but there is still hope.
I wanted to say Samu but think he has missed his shot.
User avatar Tigerion

19 Feb 2013 01:31

Young gun Roland.will.kick out froome ? Froome is only a year older. Quintana and pinot are the big young hopes.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Feb 2013 01:42

The Hitch wrote:Young gun Roland.will.kick out froome ? Froome is only a year older. Quintana and pinot are the big young hopes.

I was just throwing out some riders who have been listed on this forum as potential GT challengers of the future to explain why Tejay wasn't listed on the poll.
It will not be Roland who dislodges Froome, the person to do that will clearly be Cam Meyer
User avatar Tigerion

19 Feb 2013 02:14

Libertine Seguros wrote:Froome will win every race he enters from now until 2019. This will include Roubaix.

El Imbatido 2?

I'm surprised that there's so much more love for Gesink than for VDB2. I used to think Bob was destined for much greater GT success, but my thinking is beginning to change.
User avatar jaylew

19 Feb 2013 02:45

Tigerion wrote:He would be one of the up and coming riders mentioned in the question. Tejay, Pinot, Rolland and a number of others are coming and will hit the top level soon. The question is when they reach that level who will get pushed out and have missed their chance of winning

Yeah guys like that, Quintana, Talansky, Henao, etc...once they've had a podium and/or been knocking on the door a few times would make this poll.
I wanted to say Samu but think he has missed his shot.

That's my fear as well. I still voted for him - just couldn't bring myself not to.
User avatar jaylew

19 Feb 2013 07:38

Andy will win a grand tour in the next three years IF he gets his act together and improves in the time trials. Being one of the best climbers but having one of the worst time trials of GC contenders will not get him a win.

In hindsight, Frank could have won the giro had he stayed in the race last year. He could have put time into hesjedal and the rest of the field in the climbs. Afterall, he probably was the best climber in the field last year. He can still win the giro or vuelta but not the tour.

Gesink should target a giro or vuelta win to gain some confidence then target the tour. But I'm not sure he has what it takes to win the tour. I doubt he can take time on Froome and Alberto.

Froome will win a grand tour in the very near future. He has the best time trial out of the GC contenders but we still need to see whether he can beat Contador. Tour of Oman victory doesn't mean anything as far as the tour goes.

Rodriguez and Sanchez better target the Vuelta or the Giro.
gruppeto993

19 Feb 2013 07:44

Pretty much this. A lot of these guy's could have gotten a GT already if they wouldn't have focused so absurdly much on the Tour
Let us remember what happened on March 16th, 2014

The Hitch wrote:Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.

The Hitch wrote:#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Red Rick

19 Feb 2013 09:20

jaylew wrote:[...]

*on the road, not in the courts.

Ha ha ha ha... :D :D :D
User avatar alitogata

19 Feb 2013 09:24

Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.
Kokoso

19 Feb 2013 09:27

Hopefully Samu can get things together and finally get a GT win in the Giro this year. IMO he's too good an all rounder not to have a GT win :(
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

19 Feb 2013 09:35

Kokoso wrote:Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.

I think if you'd held a poll like this 5 years ago, Kreuziger would score much higher. It doesn't really matter what country you're from (although being Anglophone does help), the hype is more important. Kreuziger was much hyped, he just hasn't improved since then. If anything, he's gotten worse, like his peer Gesink.
theyoungest

19 Feb 2013 09:37

theyoungest wrote:I think if you'd held a poll like this 5 years ago, Kreuziger would score much higher. It doesn't really matter what country you're from (although being Anglophone does help), the hype is more important. Kreuziger was much hyped, he just hasn't improved since then. If anything, he's gotten worse, like his peer Gesink.

After the TDS of '08 he would have probably been 100% in this poll.

Just like with Gesink a few years ago. But maybe it'll happen.

If Wiggins can win the tour, you never know :o
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo

19 Feb 2013 09:40

The Hitch wrote:Froome Andy and Gesink.

To clarify

Chances

A Schleck 8/10
F Schleck 1/10
Froome 9/10
Scarponi* 2/10
Rodriguez 3/10
Samu Sanchez 3/10
VDB2 4/10
Gesink 7/10
Rujano 0/10
Kreuziger 3/10

A Schleck* 2/10
F Schleck 0/10
Froome 8/10
Scarponi* 1/10
Rodriguez 6/10
Samu Sanchez 1/10
VDB2 0/10
Gesink 0/10
Rujano 0/10
Kreuziger 0/10
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

19 Feb 2013 09:40

Yes, but Kreuziger and Gesink still have time... Cadel e.g. tried for so long, and finally had his year where everything was working.

Once in these guys´ careers, it can be "these" three weeks, like it was "this" day for Iglinskiy in LBL...
RHRH19861986

19 Feb 2013 10:55

RHRH19861986 wrote:Yes, but Kreuziger and Gesink still have time... Cadel e.g. tried for so long, and finally had his year where everything was working.

Once in these guys´ careers, it can be "these" three weeks, like it was "this" day for Iglinskiy in LBL...

I don't believe in miracles.

Also, to compare Kreuziger and Gesink with Evans is unfair to Evans. Come on.

Hesjedal is a better example, but then again he lost so much time in the 2011 TDF that it was impossible to gauge his true level back then. Gesink OTOH gets dropped by Valverde's domestiques. Still does. He's just not the same type of rider anymore. Kreuziger never had it to begin with and seems to have regressed also... as a GT rider that is. He'd be better off focusing on races like LBL and short stage races, IMO
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

19 Feb 2013 11:42

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:I don't believe in miracles.

Also, to compare Kreuziger and Gesink with Evans is unfair to Evans. Come on.

Hesjedal is a better example, but then again he lost so much time in the 2011 TDF that it was impossible to gauge his true level back then. Gesink OTOH gets dropped by Valverde's domestiques. Still does. He's just not the same type of rider anymore. Kreuziger never had it to begin with and seems to have regressed also... as a GT rider that is. He'd be better off focusing on races like LBL and short stage races, IMO

The Vuelta is not a sentence. He was out off top form. Besides we know how long Gesink always reaches his best conditions, how instantly he loses them due to any crash and how painfully long he recovers. I won't be surprised if he wins the Giro. Though, with a future Sir, it is a difficult task... :)
User avatar airstream

19 Feb 2013 12:15

airstream wrote:The Vuelta is not a sentence. He was out off top form. Besides we know how long Gesink always reaches his best conditions, how instantly he loses them due to any crash and how painfully long he recovers. I won't be surprised if he wins the Giro. Though, with a future Sir, it is a difficult task... :)

Gesink doesn't crash a whole lot. It's my impression that he can't improve that much on good early season form. He got dropped by Valverde, Henao and Costa not too long ago. I think it will be next to impossible for him to reach the top 5 in the Giro, unless the queen stages are cut short. But I'm a "hater" of course. ;)
18-Valve. (pithy)

19 Feb 2013 12:16

Would love Samu to win a GT, im nnot convinced its ever going to happen though.

Froome and Purito have the best chances in the next couple of years.
User avatar Pricey_sky

19 Feb 2013 12:32

To me, what Rodriguez shows in the mountains is rather a consequence of how general superelite level has equalized than his personal irreal breakthrough. He is almost 34. He will probably be among best of the best this year and it will be very good if he confirms his highest level in 2014 but no further. So I don't get why you guys are giving him so many stars. IMO he has one realistic chance — this year's Vuelta. But in case Nibali doesn't start in the Tour, I would bet on him.
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing