Register

Will ___ ever win a Grand Tour?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Will ____ ever win a grand tour?

A Schleck*
16%
F Schleck
1%
Froome
39%
Scarponi*
0%
Rodriguez
21%
Samu Sanchez
4%
VDB2
3%
Gesink
10%
Rujano
2%
Kreuziger
4%

Total votes : 280

19 Feb 2013 12:38

SafeBet wrote:Come May, you'll be forced to take Bobby's name off this list.

I sincerely hope you're right because it would mean Wiggins and Sky failed in the Giro and their hopes of world domination were at least thwarted for a year.:D
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

19 Feb 2013 12:48

100%. I assure you.
User avatar airstream

19 Feb 2013 12:57

Gesink, Rodriguez and Froome will. Evans use to be in these polls. Glad he isn't now! :D
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

19 Feb 2013 12:58

I recall Frank did the Giro under protest. He and Andy (especially Andy) aren't motivated by anything other than the Tour. Frank will ride the Vuelta if he's crashed out of the Tour and give his best effort but how often will those circumstances repeat themselves? Andy's history shows that he really can't be bothered and really don't see that changing. Andy will continue to focus on the Tour and whatever team that has him will see him as their best chance at Tour glory. I think his time has passed. He will never beat either Contador or Froome and the young guns are rising fast.

Froome will win a grand tour before he retires. He has too much talent in both areas (climbing and tt) plus a strong team.

Rodriguez can but it will have to be either the Giro or the Vuelta. If he believes he has a chance at the Tour then he will be eliminating any hope of having a grand tour win on his palmares and it appears that his recent success versus Contador at the Vuelta and his near miss at the Giro has given him hope (unfortunately) that a Tour win is within his grasp. At his age I can't blame him for pursuing his dream and he's had a stellar career thus far inspite of his late start of being a team leader.

Gesink can do it if he focuses on the Giro and Vuelta same as Purito.

Samu can win a Vuelta or even a Giro but I'd say he only has 2 more years of productivity left. He came close in the Vuelta when Valverde won and always seems to bounce from one close loss in a grand tour, using it as motivation to try another one: Vuelta-Tour, Tour-Vuelta, never sticking with one. Being Euskatel's champion, he carries a heavy burden with Anton not coming close to his Vuelta performance (2010?).
The rest of those listed will be filling the grand tour gc standings as also-rans. They just don't have what it takes.
User avatar Angliru

19 Feb 2013 13:02

Kokoso wrote:Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.

It's not any type of bias that I can see. He simply hasn't risen his game the way someone like Nibali has. They were both considered the up and coming grand tour riders back in 2009 but while Nibali has podiumed, battled for victories in grand tours and actually won one, Kreuziger has struggled to even match his earlier success in the major week-long stage races let alone in the grand tours where he seems to be spinning his wheels.
User avatar Angliru

19 Feb 2013 13:06

airstream wrote:To me, what Rodriguez shows in the mountains is rather a consequence of how general superelite level has equalized than his personal irreal breakthrough. He is almost 34. He will probably be among best of the best this year and it will be very good if he confirms his highest level in 2014 but no further. So I don't get why you guys are giving him so many stars. IMO he has one realistic chance — this year's Vuelta. But in case Nibali doesn't start in the Tour, I would bet on him.

Yeah, maybe it's unrealistic, but I think Purito can be in good shape in both GTs this year. This year's Vuelta suits him perfectly and there is no reason to think it will be any different next year.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

19 Feb 2013 13:08

Angliru wrote:Froome will win a grand tour before he retires. He has too much talent in both areas (climbing and tt) plus a strong team.
Again, the term talent doesn't apply to Froome. You need to look for another term like radioactivity? :D

Seriously, ability might be just fine.

talent: a special natural ability or aptitude
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

19 Feb 2013 13:31

cineteq wrote:Again, the term talent doesn't apply to Froome. You need to look for another term like radioactivity? :D

Seriously, ability might be just fine.

talent: a special natural ability or aptitude

You don't think he has any natural ability that has influenced his success?
I'll stick with my original statement. The talent he's displayed in the past 2 years and progress he's made, it's only inevitable that he will win a grand tour.
User avatar Angliru

19 Feb 2013 15:50

Gesink - 25
Kreuziger - 7
VDB2 - 5

I don't get this at all :confused:

Kreuz with more votes than Jurgen even though they appear to be on different trajectories.

And what does it say that Andy gets only 34% support? Tour focus? or Inability to improve his TT? Seemingly fragile constitution?
User avatar jaylew

19 Feb 2013 16:09

Froome probably, Andy Schleck possibly.

I think Frank Schleck en Sanchez have had their opportunities and missed them. I have a hunch the same goes for Rodriguez, he should have won last years Giro or Vuelta, I don't think he will get a lot of other opportunities.

The others, not gonna happen.
Praetor

19 Feb 2013 16:23

Angliru wrote:It's not any type of bias that I can see. He simply hasn't risen his game the way someone like Nibali has. They were both considered the up and coming grand tour riders back in 2009 but while Nibali has podiumed, battled for victories in grand tours and actually won one, Kreuziger has struggled to even match his earlier success in the major week-long stage races let alone in the grand tours where he seems to be spinning his wheels.

Yes, he for sure got a bit worse in time trials...I wonder why? Maybe he's unpopular because of his controversial media talks. In grand tours he made it to top five in Giro, that I'd call progress, or not? Last year he had a bad day, but then the victorious stage was epic. In shorter stage races...well...that's true. It's one of his goals for this year. Another is Tour de France, where he'll be domestique for Alberto. But preparation for P - N isn't going very well.
And due to his style of racing of course, but last year he was getting better.
Kokoso

19 Feb 2013 18:13

Froome definitely has a chance, and I still think Andy does too. The others I'm very doubtful about.
User avatar spalco

19 Feb 2013 18:14

Kokoso wrote:Yes, he for sure got a bit worse in time trials...I wonder why? Maybe he's unpopular because of his controversial media talks. In grand tours he made it to top five in Giro, that I'd call progress, or not? Last year he had a bad day, but then the victorious stage was epic. In shorter stage races...well...that's true. It's one of his goals for this year. Another is Tour de France, where he'll be domestique for Alberto. But preparation for P - N isn't going very well.
And due to his style of racing of course, but last year he was getting better.

I'd forgotten about his Giro performance. I'd say with that he's headed in the right direction. For me part of my inability or lack of willingness to root for him was an interview he gave to one of the magazines where he plainly stated that he didn't think Nibali would ever win a grand tour while at the same time building himself up as a future grand tour success. This was I believe the final season that he and Nibali were both on Liquigas. His reasoning was that he didn't believe Nibali had the engine to win a grand tour.
User avatar Angliru

19 Feb 2013 18:16

froomey yes
andy yes
rujanito hell yes
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

19 Feb 2013 18:24

Kokoso wrote:Kreuziger 3 votes, that's more than I'd expect, considering he's Czech (so he doesn't have many fans here who would be interested) and that due to that he's partly unpopular (don't know why). Only time will say.

Kreuziger has won very little, and he's not a particularly exciting rider. If either of those factors was different, his popularity wouldn't be tied to his passport.
User avatar spalco

19 Feb 2013 19:47

I voted Gesink, Froome, JROD and Andy+ JVDB- it is a bit risky but oh well.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

19 Feb 2013 20:14

jaylew wrote:Gesink - 25
Kreuziger - 7
VDB2 - 5

I don't get this at all :confused:

Kreuz with more votes than Jurgen even though they appear to be on different trajectories.

And what does it say that Andy gets only 34% support? Tour focus? or Inability to improve his TT? Seemingly fragile constitution?

Yea, doubt he will be on his 2010 level
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

19 Feb 2013 20:48

The funny thing is that Thomas Voeckler was closer to a Tour de France victory than anybody else of this guys except Froome maybe will ever be. :p:cool:
User avatar staubsauger

19 Feb 2013 20:53

staubsauger wrote:The funny thing is that Thomas Voeckler was closer to a Tour de France victory than anybody else of this guys except Froome maybe will ever be. :p:cool:
Isn't Pereiro a TdF winner?
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

19 Feb 2013 20:54

cineteq wrote:Isn't Pereiro a TdF winner?

Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing