Register

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2013, 23 Feb, (198 km) 1.HC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

23 Feb 2013 18:54

Vandenbergh strongest man of the day, but paolini the faster rider of the 2.
User avatar Kwibus

23 Feb 2013 19:49

Had to work till 18.30. Just watched the entire race.

Nice race, but I have the feeling the weather influenced the will of some of the bigger names. The strongest two of the day finished on top though, simple as that. Rather had Vandenbergh as winner, but Paolini is nice too.

Dissappointed in Boom and Terpstra, both invisible.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

23 Feb 2013 19:53

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Had to work till 18.30. Just watched the entire race.

Nice race, but I have the feeling the weather influenced the will of some of the bigger names. The strongest two of the day finished on top though, simple as that. Rather had Vandenbergh as winner, but Paolini is nice too.

Dissappointed in Boom and Terpstra, both invisible.

I also had high hopes for both, but after the final break got clear, they was locked since they both had a teammate up front (although Wynants really never was a threat)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

23 Feb 2013 20:03

Netserk wrote:I also had high hopes for both, but after the final break got clear, they was locked since they both had a teammate up front (although Wynants really never was a threat)

everyone knows the race is decided at that time, and neither of them was visible at all (unlike guys like Langeveld, Ciolek, Haussler or Vanmarcke, who just missed the right move), same for Flecha, so I don't think having a teammate in front can be an excuse for their poor result today
User avatar search

23 Feb 2013 20:09

I both read they in their personal reactions they didn't have a good day. Still dissappointing though.

As for the race itself, like I said it was a nice race but it didn't feel like watching Omloop het Volk.. sounds weird but feels like I was watching a random 1.1 belgian race, not as much action from the big names as usual. Probably due to the weather
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

23 Feb 2013 20:11

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I both read they in their personal reactions they didn't have a good day. Still dissappointing though.

As for the race itself, like I said it was a nice race but it didn't feel like watching Omloop het Volk.. sounds weird but feels like I was watching a random 1.1 belgian race, not as much action from the big names as usual. Probably due to the weather

I think that's a reasonable assessment. Chavanel the exception I suppose.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

23 Feb 2013 20:17

will10 wrote:I think that's a reasonable assessment. Chavanel the exception I suppose.

for a first race back since south America, Chavanel has to show some face. He did well to spark some life into the break and then it was all about his teammate. They did not win but they collect those devil UCI points.. beh!
User avatar Dedelou

23 Feb 2013 21:54

Knaven is confident that Thomas can win Flanders:

He can, I'm sure. We're all sure about it," Knaven said

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-tests-flanders-mettle-at-omloop-het-nieuwsblad

Personally I don't think he's good enough on the hills to win Flanders but he definitely has the engine for the big cobbled classics unlike EBH for example.
JRanton

23 Feb 2013 22:04

Yes, there is alot of talk about thomas geraint doing very good this year so i am really looking forward to see how he goes.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

23 Feb 2013 23:32

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Geraint Thomas had a heavy crash 70km in, leaving him dizzy and splatting all his gels, leaving him running on low later

Did his head not clear enough to ask the team car for more?

Really? and he still placed 4th! Wow, that is impressive. Thomas will have a good classics season I think. I actually think he's Sky's best bet for a good classics result.
User avatar Afrank

24 Feb 2013 03:10

Nice win by Paolini. Thomas did well in the beaten brigade.
movingtarget

24 Feb 2013 07:15

Miburo wrote:The thing is: was he enough?

Wynants was their third man behind Boom and Vanmarcke. Certainly seemed the strongest today.

It was a weird race, very much affected by the cold. Chavanel looked like he was gonna ride away with it, and then just couldn't stay in front anymore.
theyoungest

24 Feb 2013 10:34

Congrats to Paolini- i like him. The race seemed good but it was not as fun to watch a little on youtube compared to last year on TV.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

Previous

Return to Professional road racing