Register

2014 Giro heading to Ireland

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

20 Feb 2013 23:11

I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying yes, there's more to Ireland than this.
Cult Classics

21 Feb 2013 11:47

Giro d'Italia ‏@giroditalia

We're excited to announce that Ireland will host the Grande Partenza of Giro d'Italia 2014: Belfast-Belfast, Belfast-Belfast, Armagh-Dublin

official.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

21 Feb 2013 12:27

Finish on the summit of Howth Head and that would be nice.
barmaher

21 Feb 2013 13:34

The Grande Partenza of 2014 edition of the three-week Giro d’Italia will take place in the island of Ireland. From 10 to 13 May 2014 the island will host three days of racing around the cities of Belfast, Dublin and Armagh.
For RCS Sport taking the Grande Partenza of the 2014 Giro d’Italia to Ireland is an ambitious project for many reasons.
Using sport, in particular, cycling, to unite the island, is an idea we find deeply attractive. We recognise that, to do so, logistical perfection will be required on all sides. It will be the first foreign start for any Grand Tour since the implementation of a new UCI regulation prohibiting rest days on three-week Tours until the completion of at least seven days of racing.

User avatar Zam_Olyas

21 Feb 2013 13:39

If they feel the need to start the Giro in a run down economic desaster state, why not simply go to southern italy :confused::confused:
User avatar Bavarianrider

21 Feb 2013 13:47

Bavarianrider wrote:If they feel the need to start the Giro in a run down economic desaster state, why not simply go to southern italy :confused::confused:

Or spain, or portugal . I don't know.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

21 Feb 2013 13:55

Pretty emebarassing if you ask me.
With all that talk of the Giro officials to do a start in Washington, New York or something like that. And now they end up in Dublin/Belfast. Oh boy:rolleyes::o
User avatar Bavarianrider

21 Feb 2013 14:01

Bavarianrider wrote:Pretty emebarassing if you ask me.
With all that talk of the Giro officials to do a start in Washington, New York or something like that. And now they end up in Dublin/Belfast. Oh boy:rolleyes::o

yeah, a prologue around Newark would be great.
Dazed and Confused

21 Feb 2013 14:05

I am from US and Giro does not belong here. Giro does not belong in Ireland either. If UCI want race there create a one week Tour of Ireland and make the teams go there.
If I want to see a GT I will fly there.
User avatar veganrob

21 Feb 2013 15:56

Zam_Olyas wrote:It will be the first foreign start for any Grand Tour since the implementation of a new UCI regulation prohibiting rest days on three-week Tours until the completion of at least seven days of racing

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand.
This means they will take a flight straight after the third stage and then race the fourth stage the day after?
User avatar SafeBet

21 Feb 2013 16:00

SafeBet wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure I understand.
This means they will take a flight straight after the third stage and then race the fourth stage the day after?

no, it means no one gives a flying f*ck about UCI rules :rolleyes:
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

21 Feb 2013 16:10

element wrote:You'd all change your tune if it was starting in your hometown! Can't wait for this, will be the first WT race I get to see.

In 2012 the Giro started close to me(40 km). It was a terrible decision! The Giro simply doesn't belong in Denmark, and Denmark has nothing to offer to the Giro. They only did it to increase the audience (It was sent for the first time on national (TV) :o

PS: I also think it was terrible that the Worlds was in Copenhagen in '11.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

21 Feb 2013 16:14

Netserk wrote:
PS: I also think it was terrible that the Worlds was in Copenhagen in '11.

Great crit race.
Dazed and Confused

21 Feb 2013 16:16

Eshnar wrote:no, it means no one gives a flying f*ck about UCI rules :rolleyes:

Phat will agree. Rules are made to be broken when convenient.
Dazed and Confused

21 Feb 2013 16:33

I read that they wont be having a rest day between the third and fourth stages. Presumably just jumping on a few chartered flights from dublin to italy
williamp78

21 Feb 2013 16:41

williamp78 wrote:I read that they wont be having a rest day between the third and fourth stages. Presumably just jumping on a few chartered flights from dublin to italy

for the riders it won't be a problem, but it will be a major issue for all the organization material and veichles, team equipment and all the sponsor carousel.
Quite expensive to transport all those stuff by plane.
Ivan Basso ha un altro passo!!! Ivan Basso ha un altro passo!!!
User avatar Peccio89

21 Feb 2013 19:09

williamp78 wrote:I read that they wont be having a rest day between the third and fourth stages. Presumably just jumping on a few chartered flights from dublin to italy

I'd put money on a TTT on the first day in Italy. Not only does that mean the riders won't need to be racing in the morning the next day, but the teams can arrange for the time trial bikes to be waiting for the riders in Italy. Meanwhile it gives the racing bikes an extra day to arrive.
Cult Classics

21 Feb 2013 22:58

Cult Classics wrote:I'd put money on a TTT on the first day in Italy. Not only does that mean the riders won't need to be racing in the morning the next day, but the teams can arrange for the time trial bikes to be waiting for the riders in Italy. Meanwhile it gives the racing bikes an extra day to arrive.

Another reason to be disgusted by the move.
These kind of stupid decisions make me so angry.

And to those saying it is good decision because they get to see racing, you are just putting your own selfish desires above the good of the Giro and the sport.
Mad Elephant Man

22 Feb 2013 07:10

I'm a bit taken aback by the negative reaction to this to be honest. I'd seen a stage finish of the Rás in Tramore when I was a kid, and I knew Seán Kelly grew up nearby (although I was too young to appreciate his achievements in his heyday), but the excitement of seeing the fittest people in the world fly past me on the quay in Waterford during that infamous 1998 Tour, on the same roads I walked up and down every day, was what really kickstarted my cycling fandom, and is something that'll stay with me for the rest of my life.

The Tour de France is the de facto World Cup/Champion's league of cycling (the World Championships and Olympics being a crapshoot) and as such such is bigger than just the nation of France, and can and has taken in trips to other countries without diluting its identity in any way. Similarly, I see the increasing number of Giro stages outside Italy as a positive sign of it being more than just an Italian event, and part of a return to greater parity with the Tour after a definite drop in prestige during the monobollock years.

Mad Elephant Man, I'll at least give you credit for consistency as you raised the same objections when it was announced that Yorkshire was getting the Tour start.

And who wants to ride in the rain and colder than already is in Italy?

Late May is generally the nicest time of the year in Ireland - people call it exam weather as schoolkids/students have to study for/do exams during what is often the only decent bit of sun all year. And if it did rain, so what? You won't melt, unless you're Jan Ullrich. No matter how bad it is it'll still be a hell of a lot warmer than last year's penultimate stage finish on the Stelvio.

Everybody wants to milk the Sky cow.

I'm not sure what point you're making here? Considering the state of the economy both sides of the border, there won't be much milk to be had.

I am from US and Giro does not belong here. Giro does not belong in Ireland either. If UCI want race there create a one week Tour of Ireland and make the teams go there.

The Rás is an 8 day stage race and has been run since the 50's. The Tour of Ireland (for a while the Nissan Classic - check out some clips on YouTube) was another 8 day stage race that started in the 50's but is no longer run. Neither is the same as having a Grand Tour come to town.
User avatar vedrafjord

22 Feb 2013 07:38

Dazed and Confused wrote:yeah, a prologue around Newark would be great.

That's it, of all the places feekin Belfast!?
User avatar rhubroma

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing