Log in:  

Register

'The Old Contador is gone' Claim

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

24 Feb 2013 19:54

T.Dekker and Kashechkin however....

However I'll keep hoping :D
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,731
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

24 Feb 2013 19:56

airstream wrote: It is quite laughable to consider Froome or Evans prepared better than Contador in this part of the season.


I also think we can not say that one was better than the other. In my opinion they had different goals.

Contador tested his legs and opponents. And just confirmed that the great adversary in July will Frome.

Evans showed that can still do a big tour,

Frome showed that will be a trusted leader in July.
User avatar pdluz7
Junior Member
 
Posts: 162
Joined: 17 Sep 2012 14:26
Location: Brazil

24 Feb 2013 20:01

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:T.Dekker and Kashechkin however....

However I'll keep hoping :D


Kash = the winner of the giro 13

T. Dekker = totally overrated :D
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,522
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

24 Feb 2013 20:06

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:T.Dekker and Kashechkin however....

However I'll keep hoping :D


at least TD won in sarthe...kash will win only tomorrow in the morning:p
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,445
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

24 Feb 2013 20:23

Imo it's not Contador that's become worse, it's his aggressive racing style, which nowadays is totally ineffective. He's facing a much stiffer competition than in the last few years, so he needs to be more conservative. In the Vuelta he was lucky he was racing against competition who had their bad days as well, Froome on the other hand can rely on an alien recovery system. If Contador goes berserk on each Tour MTF this year, Froome will turn on the diesel, close the gap and leave him behind. Anyway, tires will be smoking this summer...
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

24 Feb 2013 20:43

Pentacycle wrote:Imo it's not Contador that's become worse, it's his aggressive racing style, which nowadays is totally ineffective. He's facing a much stiffer competition than in the last few years, so he needs to be more conservative. In the Vuelta he was lucky he was racing against competition who had their bad days as well, Froome on the other hand can rely on an alien recovery system. If Contador goes berserk on each Tour MTF this year, Froome will turn on the diesel, close the gap and leave him behind. Anyway, tires will be smoking this summer...


Yes, its's good to see attacks, but since the Vuelta they have been aggressive but fruitless. He seems to put more effort into them than in previous years (you see the aggression in his face) but they generally fail. Attacks in Giro 2011 for example look easy for him I.e. no visible signs that he is struggling. I don't know what this indicates
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks
Junior Member
 
Posts: 549
Joined: 09 Jun 2012 09:09
Location: Scotland

24 Feb 2013 20:53

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Yes, its's good to see attacks, but since the Vuelta they have been aggressive but fruitless. He seems to put more effort into them than in previous years (you see the aggression in his face) but they generally fail. Attacks in Giro 2011 for example look easy for him I.e. no visible signs that he is struggling. I don't know what this indicates


Giro 2011 competition < Vuelta 2012 competition
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

24 Feb 2013 21:03

Pentacycle wrote:Giro 2011 competition < Vuelta 2012 competition


I chose Giro 11 as an example but meant most GT's pre ban
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks
Junior Member
 
Posts: 549
Joined: 09 Jun 2012 09:09
Location: Scotland

24 Feb 2013 21:07

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:I chose Giro 11 as an example but meant most GT's pre ban


In that case, this thread really belongs in the clinic. ;)
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,177
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

24 Feb 2013 21:27

Contador has to be very agressive, because it is the only possibility to win the Tour. He won't win the Tour in time trials. Someone expressed an idea that Contador should choose one or two X day to put extra effort and gain the time. To me, that would be quite misspent because one can not guarantee his significant edge on one particular day. In addition, if Contador doesn't attacks, Froome will make a move. It is almost guaranteed.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

24 Feb 2013 21:30

I wont say anything about contador. Basso - 3rd japan cup, 4th ll Giro and vuelta and 1st trentino and ll Giro and 5th TA and he did it as clean as a whistle ;) :p
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,112
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

24 Feb 2013 21:32

LaFlorecita wrote:Not sure I understand :confused:


Netserk wrote:Comeback strength vs. pre ban/retirement strength


LaFlorecita wrote:But what about the Bolded Capital Letters :confused: by the way Piti seems very strong still.


Vino attacks everyone wrote:Basso = not quite robo Basso, but still had a year or 2 as a top gt rider after his comeback

Valverde = to early to say yet, but what we saw in the Vuelta was VERY promising to say atleast.

Armstrong = old


Lol funny to see ya'll reading so much into his post and reaching these conclusions? All the original poster was doing was observing that mbiuro wrote The Great One's name with a capital letter- Contador; but wrote all the other rider's names without capitalizating the first letter- armstrong, valverde, basso.
;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,992
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

24 Feb 2013 22:03

The Hitch wrote:Lol funny to see ya'll reading so much into his post and reaching these conclusions? All the original poster was doing was observing that mbiuro wrote The Great One's name with a capital letter- Contador; but wrote all the other rider's names without capitalizating the first letter- armstrong, valverde, basso.
;)


Okay that makes sense :p
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 21,156
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

24 Feb 2013 22:51

All of Contador's GT performances that have been sub-par compared to his best performances he has had a justifiable reason for them being sub-par. So I see no reason why he can't still perform at a level we have seen in the past.
I don't expect him to be performing to the level we saw in 2009 and 2011, but I think he can easily get to a very good level; not domination level but not 2011 Tour or 2012 Vuelta (where he couldn't drop Purito) level either.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,243
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

24 Feb 2013 23:07

Afrank wrote:All of Contador's GT performances that have been sub-par compared to his best performances he has had a justifiable reason for them being sub-par. So I see no reason why he can't still perform at a level we have seen in the past.
I don't expect him to be performing to the level we saw in 2009 and 2011, but I think he can easily get to a very good level; not domination level but not 2011 Tour or 2012 Vuelta (where he couldn't drop Purito) level either.


I wouldn't say Contador's Vuelta performance was sub par. He beat two good riders who had ridden all season. Rodriguez went close in the Giro and has improved his GT riding. Just when most people thought Rodriguez had it won, Contador turns the race on it's head. Contador might be one of those riders who hit his peak when younger as some do. Andy Schleck may be an even better example. Not all sportsmen can keep hitting their best form in their thirties even in cycling. I just think Contador is not as feared as he used to be. And his attacks are more or less expected now. Still he will be hard to beat in any grand tour he competes in even without the aura of invincibility he used to have.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,859
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

24 Feb 2013 23:58

movingtarget wrote:I wouldn't say Contador's Vuelta performance was sub par. He beat two good riders who had ridden all season. Rodriguez went close in the Giro and has improved his GT riding. Just when most people thought Rodriguez had it won, Contador turns the race on it's head. Contador might be one of those riders who hit his peak when younger as some do. Andy Schleck may be an even better example. Not all sportsmen can keep hitting their best form in their thirties even in cycling. I just think Contador is not as feared as he used to be. And his attacks are more or less expected now. Still he will be hard to beat in any grand tour he competes in even without the aura of invincibility he used to have.


No, the vuelta performance wasn't really a sub-par performance. But when compared to 2009 Tour or 2011 Giro and to what people were expecting of him it wasn't as good as we have seen in the past. That's what I meant. I think it was a really great performance in fact, but it was evident he had trouble making attacks stick and trouble dropping Purito.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,243
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

25 Feb 2013 00:03

I can't wait for Contador to show his best form at the Tour.

With Andy probably gone that legacy is fading away it would be a great shame if Contador struggles to find his best. I can see him being equal to or better than Giro 2011. The Tour last year had Wiggins and truth be told I loved every minute of it but it can't compare to Contador's all out attacking style and pure racing. That is why I started watching this sport and I don't want it to go.

Bring it on..:)
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

25 Feb 2013 00:06

the vuelta performance was imo well above par, not above the expectations the fans had but if we are realistic what he did with no racing in his legs for nearly a year was absolutely fantastic.

Sean kelly said it himself in an interview a couple months ago, winning a GT without any racing in his legs was an amazing achievement in his opinion, and honestly i will take his word on that.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,200
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

25 Feb 2013 00:39

Parrulo wrote:the vuelta performance was imo well above par, not above the expectations the fans had but if we are realistic what he did with no racing in his legs for nearly a year was absolutely fantastic.

Sean kelly said it himself in an interview a couple months ago, winning a GT without any racing in his legs was an amazing achievement in his opinion, and honestly i will take his word on that.


I remember Majka said after last years 14 hills tournament that The Great One would be twice the rider.for.the tour. Though personally i don't put much credence.into what riders say about what their own form will be, let alone others.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,992
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

25 Feb 2013 00:46

Parrulo wrote:the vuelta performance was imo well above par, not above the expectations the fans had but if we are realistic what he did with no racing in his legs for nearly a year was absolutely fantastic.

Sean kelly said it himself in an interview a couple months ago, winning a GT without any racing in his legs was an amazing achievement in his opinion, and honestly i will take his word on that.


Tbh he certainly will be better than in the Vuelta.
The question is how much better?
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Breh, Hakkapelit, lemon cheese cake, Movitrain, old.edu, Ricco' and 82 guests

Back to top