Log in:  

Register

'The Old Contador is gone' Claim

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

25 Feb 2013 10:04

Eshnar wrote:Isn't this thread all about 'what if's? :confused:
'The Tour competition would eat him alive' is a pretty big "what if" too, since that never happened.


I think he was at least in one Tour. Memorable as you see.

le. Just checked 2006 Tour. After first and second MTF he already lost 70 minutes. Didn't checked further.
McLovin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 14:55

25 Feb 2013 10:06

airstream wrote:It is all about Wiggins, not about Froome. But anyway I don't know any GC guy who would attack having 3 minutes reserve, strongest team and one more TT in the bag.

And yet you claim that AC, despite being in the lead from the Etna, did not gain enough in the mountains...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,465
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

25 Feb 2013 10:06

Netserk wrote:Rujano vs Contador:

Stage 8 (Tropea): 23
Stage 9 (Etna): 3
Stage 13 (Grossglockner): 0
Stage 14 (Zoncolan): 1'37 (97)
Stage 15 (Gardeccia): 44
Stage 16 (MTT): 39
Stage 19 (Macugnaga): 2'20 (140)
Stage 20 (Sestriere): -1'15 (-75)

Total time = 271 seconds = 4'31


You're right. I was counting mountain stages without TT.
McLovin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 14:55

25 Feb 2013 10:06

McLovin wrote:I think he was at least in one Tour. Memorable as you see.

he retired in 2006. He was sick.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,465
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

25 Feb 2013 10:07

airstream wrote:It is all about Wiggins, not about Froome. But anyway I don't know any GC guy who would attack having 3 minutes reserve, strongest team and one more TT in the bag.


Contador ?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,126
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2013 10:08

Netserk wrote:I truly don't understand what you just said there :confused:

Would you be so kind to explain it to me? :)


Overly high wattage can be demonstrated in 2 cases: either a rider explodes all flesh and goes solo or he finds other rider with the same goals and they work very cohesively. If attacks are neutralized, an ascent instantly gets tactical, positional and as a result slow.

Though, I find all VAM matters very debatable. Too many factors. I read something like top-4 passed Arrate stage with even better power than Verbier.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:10

Netserk wrote:Contador ?


Only under the circumstances that rivals are paradoxically weak.

IMO, to demand mountain attacks from Wiggins is like to demand winning miles in long flat TTs from Contador. One has its terrain.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:12

Eshnar wrote:he retired in 2006. He was sick.


BBB?

Just kidding.
McLovin
Junior Member
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 14:55

25 Feb 2013 10:13

Nibali vs Contador:

Stage 8 (Tropea): 5
Stage 9 (Etna): 50
Stage 13 (Grossglockner): 1'36 (96)
Stage 14 (Zoncolan): 6
Stage 15 (Gardeccia): 1'43 (103)
Stage 16 (MTT): 34
Stage 19 (Macugnaga): 3
Stage 20 (Sestriere): 22

Total time = 319 seconds = 5'19
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,126
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2013 10:13

BB is not just kidding in this forum section. :) :D
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:16

airstream wrote:Overly high wattage can be demonstrated in 2 cases: either a rider explodes all flesh and goes solo or he finds other rider with the same goals and they work very cohesively. If attacks are neutralized, an ascent instantly gets tactical, positional and as a result slow.

Though, I find all VAM matters very debatable. Too many factors. I read something like top-4 passed Arrate stage with even better power than Verbier.


I find that very hard to believe since they was slow up Arrate that day. 46 seconds slower than Alberto in 2009
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,126
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2013 10:17

McLovin wrote:BBB?

Just kidding.

Big Blue Blob? :confused:
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,465
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

25 Feb 2013 10:24

Netserk wrote:I find that very hard to believe since they was slow up Arrate that day. 46 seconds slower than Alberto in 2009


Then I take my words back. Anyway we undertood each other regarding 'put out the numbers'
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:27

airstream wrote:Then I take my words back. Anyway we undertood each other regarding 'put out the numbers'

Yes. Your clarification made it clear what you meant :)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,126
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2013 10:27

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:I too am unsure that Contador could have performed much better in last year's Vuelta, had he not been banned.

T-A will be pretty telling already, IMO. My money is on Froome.


The fight will be very entertaining. Riis feels Contador needs some load of self-condifence and brings best forces to Italy.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:38

Eshnar wrote:And yet you claim that AC, despite being in the lead from the Etna, did not gain enough in the mountains...


No, I just offer not to project the 2011 Giro results at the 2013 Tour. The only case when one has global mountain edge in the Tour was Armstrong in 2008 for obvious reason (reason of absence of main rivals). And yet 1998 certainly.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:40

airstream wrote:No, I just offer not to project the 2011 Giro results at the 2013 Tour. The only case when one has global mountain edge in the Tour was Armstrong in 2008 for obvious reason (reason of absence of main rivals). And yet 1998 certainly.

Don't you mean 2002?
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,126
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2013 10:42

Netserk wrote:Don't you mean 2002?


Yes, 2002 sure.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

25 Feb 2013 10:42

I will also argue that Contador had 'global mountain edge' in 2009
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,126
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

25 Feb 2013 12:57

Netserk wrote:Rujano vs Contador:

Stage 8 (Tropea): 23
Stage 9 (Etna): 3
Stage 13 (Grossglockner): 0
Stage 14 (Zoncolan): 1'37 (97)
Stage 15 (Gardeccia): 44
Stage 16 (MTT): 39
Stage 19 (Macugnaga): 2'20 (140)
Stage 20 (Sestriere): -1'15 (-75)

Total time = 271 seconds = 4'31


The elephant in the room that.mclovin clearly seems to be missing is that The Great One did .not.go.into the giro with the aim of - put 7 minutes.into Jose Rujano.
He went in.to.win the giro, did that by stage 13. There were 4 mountain stages (3 if you are an anton fanboy) where contador.did.not go all out because he didn't know the name.of.the game was to see how.much time 1 can put into Rujano.

Some people also seem.to.be underating Rujano, namely because he never showed it in their beloved tdf. Its worth noting that on etna and grossglockner, Rujano and Contador put a minute each into the likes of nibali and scarponi ( who the year before were doing likewise to Evans)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,771
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afpm90, Akuryo, Eagle, Eyeballs Out, Google Adsense [Bot], Jack_89, Jagartrott, Kokoso, LaFlorecita, nuvolablu, Parrulo, rick james, Smachinho, togo95, willbick and 42 guests

Back to top