Register

Newsflash. Brian Cookson, british cycling, to stand against Pat McQuaid (SUI) for uci

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

08 Sep 2013 08:56

Dr. Maserati wrote:I do remember watching the Cookson/Landis video when it was first posted here.
It would (surely) assist your point to find it and link to it again and perhaps quote him, rather than you paraphrasing.

But from memory, I don't believe he said there was nothing wrong with Pro cycling - but I remember he was vocal (almost upset/hurt) because when it was claimed the UCI were corrupt or crap.

Getting lazy? Í will help you though, I am very altruistic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GtZRitztqzU#t=214s

In Holland we have a saying 'petje op, petje af', you might call it flip - flop in English. Thats how I see Cookson.
The Hitch wrote:All the trolls always did a tailwindhome off the forum when faced with that counterpoint. By which I mean a mysterious tailwind would blow them home and they would reappear only when the question blew over.
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

08 Sep 2013 09:38

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:Getting lazy? Í will help you though, I am very altruistic:

In Holland we have a saying 'petje op, petje af', you might call it flip - flop in English. Thats how I see Cookson.

interesting
he's not saying anything extremely controversial there (well, nothing other than the usual UCI propaganda), although statements such as
"much more realistic set of performances this year",
"clear change in performance levels"
"I'm very optimistic about the future of cycling"
were rather unfortunate statements to make only a few days before the contador positive went public...
sniper

08 Sep 2013 13:01

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:Getting lazy? Í will help you though, I am very altruistic:

No, sadly for you, I am not lazy.

But I or anyone else certainly was not going to look wade through 11 different segments for a point you were making. Which of course is often why people do not link or attribute things.

So - you wrote upthread" You took the time to look at the specific 2010 video where he basicly stated nothing was wrong in pro - cycling. You know, with dear old Floyd Landis in the panel?"

Brian says:
Having spent most of the last year in Professional Cycling and having seen a clear change in the performance levels of the riders that to me indicate that the Biological Passport is working, that the UCIs anti-doping efforts are working, despite the flaws in the system.

And about the UCI, Brain says:
The UCI is owned by the National Federations, so everyone that is a member of a National Federation, as many people im this room would be, have a stake in the UCI. It’s a difficult democratic system, but it is a democratic system and I think there have been some unnecessary slurs against the UCI this afternoon. I don’t think it’s a perfect body, but I do think it is doing a responsible job.
User avatar Dr. Maserati

08 Sep 2013 14:55

oldcrank wrote:Well, British riders Sir Bradley Marc Wiggins and Christopher Froome
have made it abundantly clear that you can win the biggest races
clean, but we still have riders like Di Luca and Santambrogio from
Italy, Sylvain George from France and Sayar from Turkey returning
non-negative results.

Why not include Australian rider Cadel Evans, Italian rider Vincenzo Nibali and Spanish rider Juan José Cobo. They had all won in the post "passport" era as well. Cadel's dodgy doctor link is only like that of Sir Brad and going off to Guadeloupe was the old style Tenerife, nobody was caught doing anything really dodgy, apart from one of team GB, so let's add them in.

Why should us Brits try and claim solo occupation of the moral high ground ?

There are loads more cases for riders being totally responsible for showing us all, oh so clearly, that even today, in the age of the application in sport of human growth hormone, DNA replacement therapy, overuse of out of competition cortisone injections and the very best that CNP can formulate, by way of "yet to be outlawed" supplements, and other "marginal" gains, many others can win cleanly, bless their cotton socks, every last one of them.
Freddythefrog

09 Sep 2013 16:20

Freddythefrog wrote:Why not include Australian rider Cadel Evans

Well of course I would have included Mr. Cadel Lee Evans AM,
except I was replying to a post that was referencing the last
two years, and it is well known that it is Sir Bradley Marc Wiggins
and Mr. Christopher Froome that have won the 'biggest races' in
the last two years, i.e. the 2012 TdF and the 2013 TdF.

note to Mods: not trying to derail thread, just replying to a question
We should ride our bikes at least 20 kilometres every day,
unless we are too busy...then we should ride at least forty.
User avatar oldcrank

09 Sep 2013 23:45

McQuaid is locked in an ugly election wrangle with challenger Brian Cookson, with the pair exchanging accusations for months as they seek control of the International Cycling Union (UCI) at elections later this month.

"It has overshadowed it, yes," McQuaid, also a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), told Reuters at the IOC session in the Argentine capital. "Cycling has had a good year. It is unfortunate that it (campaign) has done that."

"My campaign is going well and much of the information going out (from Cookson) is unfounded," said McQuaid, who has been at the helm since 2005.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/09/us-cycling-uci-mcquaid-idUSBRE98818020130909?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401
User avatar gooner

10 Sep 2013 09:15

Does anyone else think that there was too much going on at the top for Cookson not to have known?

He seems to be blind to various indiscretions in the UK and now within the UCI.

I'm seriously doubting that he's the right person to take the sport forward.
bobbins

10 Sep 2013 09:17

LaFlorecita wrote:I've come to the point where I'd prefer McQuaid over Cookson. A British UCI president while a british team is dominating doesn't seem right to me. Ideally someone else would win but oh well.

Finding out that McQuaid cover Contador on another positive, one more reason to like him more. With him maybe Contador will "find" his GT winner form again.

Seriously now

If McQuaid enters election and gets x votes, the countries that voted for him should be expelled from UCI to form their separate cycling union of <don't know how to name that>.
EnacheV

10 Sep 2013 10:22

There's reason to fear Cookson might be a corrupt quack. But we know McQuaid is exactly that. The choice is clear to me.
User avatar hrotha

10 Sep 2013 10:36

hrotha wrote:There's reason to fear Cookson might be a corrupt quack. But we know McQuaid is exactly that. The choice is clear to me.

For anyone who has a vote I'm sure the choice is crystal clear - just pick the one who makes you better off
User avatar Eyeballs Out

10 Sep 2013 10:56

hrotha wrote:There's reason to fear Cookson might be a corrupt quack. But we know McQuaid is exactly that. The choice is clear to me.

This +100000000000000000000000

Talk about a lynch mob mentality from plenty here, hilarious people are actually stating they'd prefer McQuaid, which is nothing short of bonkers.
Vaughters on warming down:
JV1973 wrote:Yes, but you'd be amazed at how few riders do. I'd say maybe 10% of the peloton cools down, while the rest just jump on the bus straight after the sprint. Cycling sometimes is so backwards it amazes me.

hiero2 wrote:Imo, we have become the frog in the frying pan.
User avatar JimmyFingers

10 Sep 2013 12:06

bobbins wrote:Does anyone else think that there was too much going on at the top for Cookson not to have known?

He seems to be blind to various indiscretions in the UK and now within the UCI.

I'm seriously doubting that he's the right person to take the sport forward.

I know I have asked before - what are these 'indiscretions' that happened in BC?

As for the UCI - he has been on the Mgt Comm since 2009.
I know there is a group here who think that means Cookson is 'in the know' - it may come as a surprise but unfortunately Hein/Pat are not quite that dumb to discuss the corruption and fraud at committee meetings, if they did the minutes would be more fun to read.

A perfect example of how the UCI operates was this week when the 'executive' decided that they are the ones to decide the UCI rules and not the independent Court of Arbitration of Sport.
User avatar Dr. Maserati

10 Sep 2013 12:43

Can someone tell me whether 2/3 of the delagtes have to vote for the ammendmends that allow PMQ to stand on the 27th, or is that all sorted.
del1962

10 Sep 2013 12:45

I believe so: they have to be ratified, then everything is backdated so Pat can stand with the Moroccan and Thai endorsements.
Vaughters on warming down:
JV1973 wrote:Yes, but you'd be amazed at how few riders do. I'd say maybe 10% of the peloton cools down, while the rest just jump on the bus straight after the sprint. Cycling sometimes is so backwards it amazes me.

hiero2 wrote:Imo, we have become the frog in the frying pan.
User avatar JimmyFingers

10 Sep 2013 12:46

JimmyFingers wrote:I believe so: they have to be ratified, then everything is backdated so Pat can stand with the Moroccan and Thai endorsements.

So just over one third of delegates just have to disagree and PMQ can't stand
del1962

10 Sep 2013 12:48

A leaked dossier that tells us nothing we didn't know with makarov & plants fingers all over it.

A man who said in January he wouldn't dream of standing against mcquaid who was doing a good job in his opinion.

Cookson says he'll be a 'listening president' - listening to makarov and plant

Like landis said, it's time to burn it all down
bianchigirl

10 Sep 2013 13:11

del1962 wrote:So just over one third of delegates just have to disagree and PMQ can't stand

Last I heard the nominations were within the time limit and from federations he is a member of, so the vote doesn't matter for the election.

May be wrong though, will check this evening.
User avatar King Boonen

10 Sep 2013 13:44

bianchigirl wrote:A leaked dossier that tells us nothing we didn't know with makarov & plants fingers all over it.

A man who said in January he wouldn't dream of standing against mcquaid who was doing a good job in his opinion.

Cookson says he'll be a 'listening president' - listening to makarov and plant

Like landis said, it's time to burn it all down

A lot has happened since January. Back then there was the 'wait & see' because of the Independent Investigation.
When Pat/Hein decided it was getting too Independent they killed it.
User avatar Dr. Maserati

10 Sep 2013 13:50

A few years from now, we'll be having the same discussions about Cookson that we're having now about McQuaid.

Most of you already know this too.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles

10 Sep 2013 14:01

Moose McKnuckles wrote:A few years from now, we'll be having the same discussions about Cookson that we're having now about McQuaid.

Most of you already know this too.

Explain how or why?

I don't get this sort of post. It is completely void of any point or argument.
User avatar Dr. Maserati

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic