Register

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Dec 2018 02:45

42x16ss wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:The worst part of those situations is the... I don't know if it's naivety, or arrogance, or possibly both. The "It'll be fine. I'm only looking away for a few seconds, nothing's gonna happen." mentality. Sure! Maybe 99 times nothing really does happen (or doesn't happen…) but then comes the 100th time, the time when looking away for just a few seconds is enough to permanently damage someone's life, to end someone's life. :cry:

It's naivety and arrogance coupled with a victim mentality. The worst examples truly believe that bikes now have more rights than them and that riders think they own the roads. Apparently having to take other people into consideration means they're losing rights (think alt right/white supremicist kind of mentality).

It doesn't help when a reasonable percentage of Australian riders do ride with a total disregard for courtesy.

most of which comes from the "well, if you're going to treat me like sh*t, then f**k you too" mentality, which is just perpetuated from both sides
User avatar Archibald

Re:

12 Dec 2018 22:28

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Separated bike lanes don't address the core issue - lousy driver behaviour.

If anything it simply reinforces the notion that cyclists don't belong on roads and encounters for those that do choose to ride on roads will become worse, not better.

When you come up with a way to fix lousy driver behavior, let me know. Then I will agree with you. Until then, separate bike lanes! It gets more people on bikes, etc...
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

14 Dec 2018 02:18

MarkvW wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Separated bike lanes don't address the core issue - lousy driver behaviour.

If anything it simply reinforces the notion that cyclists don't belong on roads and encounters for those that do choose to ride on roads will become worse, not better.

When you come up with a way to fix lousy driver behavior, let me know.

There are plenty of ways, e.g. strategies which have been successfully implemented in more thoughtful nations such as:
- stricter driver licensing requirements (lift the standards)
- coupled with better education and training (think about how attitudes to seat belts and driving under the influence changed dramatically over the years with legislation, enforcement and lots of education campaigns),
- vastly improved policing strategies and resource deployment designed to encourage and protect vulnerable road users
along with
- strict liability laws in favour of the most vulnerable,
- significantly reduced speed limits and strategies to reduce or throttle motor vehicle traffic especially in city and urban areas,
- strict limits on large vehicles permitted in such areas

but we lack the social conscience and political will in this country.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

14 Dec 2018 20:33

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
MarkvW wrote:

When you come up with a way to fix lousy driver behavior, let me know.

There are plenty of ways, e.g. strategies which have been successfully implemented in more thoughtful nations such as:
- stricter driver licensing requirements (lift the standards)
- coupled with better education and training (think about how attitudes to seat belts and driving under the influence changed dramatically over the years with legislation, enforcement and lots of education campaigns),
- vastly improved policing strategies and resource deployment designed to encourage and protect vulnerable road users
along with
- strict liability laws in favour of the most vulnerable,
- significantly reduced speed limits and strategies to reduce or throttle motor vehicle traffic especially in city and urban areas,
- strict limits on large vehicles permitted in such areas

but we lack the social conscience and political will in this country.

It just keeps coming back to that "we pay for the roads, you don't, so f$#k off" mentality and no effort whatsoever has been made in the media to dispel it.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

16 Dec 2018 05:31

High on meth?
Nicked a car, a bus and a pedestrian?
Ran a red light?

It's all ok, they cleaned up a bike rider...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2457583047599147&id=108878629136279

Do NOT read the comments...
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

16 Dec 2018 12:41

42x16ss wrote:High on meth?
Nicked a car, a bus and a pedestrian?
Ran a red light?

It's all ok, they cleaned up a bike rider...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2457583047599147&id=108878629136279

Do NOT read the comments...

Luckily she wasn't closer to the intersection but incredibly lucky all the same. Yes the comments make for depressing reading usually.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Dec 2018 02:41

42x16ss wrote:It just keeps coming back to that "we pay for the roads, you don't, so f$#k off" mentality and no effort whatsoever has been made in the media to dispel it.

I've seen this guy's articles reprinted in some Melbourne papers
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/fitness/on-your-bike
but, yes, mostly it's the trashy papers who are happily inflaming the issue with the "war on the roads" nonsense.
Too many editors were Mad Max fans as teenagers, methinks
User avatar Archibald

13 Jan 2019 21:26

Cycling in Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/14/we-are-not-doing-enough-why-is-australia-failing-its-cyclists

I advised my brother a few weeks ago to stick to the cycleways......it's not worth it
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Jan 2019 02:30

Man in range rover hits 10-year-old.

Here's his "apology"

"I'm sorry that you hit me!"... :mad:
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

17 Jan 2019 07:40

RedheadDane wrote:Man in range rover hits 10-year-old.

Here's his "apology"

"I'm sorry that you hit me!"... :mad:

The judge obviously has his finger on the pulse of community attitudes............utterly pathetic.
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Jan 2019 08:15

Yeah, what the hell kind of "punishment" is Write a letter of apology? (or even community service as well) This isn't kindergarten!
Then again; the "apology" for sure was something someone in kindergarten could have written...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

20 Jan 2019 20:55

RedheadDane wrote:Yeah, what the hell kind of "punishment" is Write a letter of apology? (or even community service as well) This isn't kindergarten!
Then again; the "apology" for sure was something someone in kindergarten could have written...

If you want to see the state of attitudes in this country, check out the Facebook link I posted above on this page and be grateful you live in Denmark :mad: :(
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

21 Jan 2019 15:48

Trust me, I am!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Driving into cyclists the Emma way

31 Jan 2019 02:20

...and the Tool of the Month Award goes to...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cop-that-d-head-cyclists-in-viral-video-were-off-duty-policemen-20190131-p50upn.html

Oh boy, this is a good one. A feel-good story for put-upon cyclists.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. This isn't a feel-good story at all. I apologise for my facetiousness. You see, when I posted this yesterday there were no comments on the article. Reading them this morning was sobering, as the majority of them were sympathetic to the driver. They were sympathetic to a man that drove a one-and-a-half metric ton steel machine - at speed - on a path for pedestrians and cyclists. Is it just me or is that as reckless as carrying a live grenade into a food court? One we call terrorism, the other making a point to entitled, noisy minorities that receive special treatment. Bear in mind that this newspaper isn't a trashy, shit-stirring tabloid read by angry, pick up-driving men in wifebeaters. It's regarded as the masthead of choice for the educated middle class of Sydney, Australia.

I don't understand this widespread animosity for our particular out-group in English speaking countries. Just what is it about Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Canada, the USA et al that festers this indignation? That we're frequent, flagrant rule breakers? Yeah, no. Not many people chase down motorists that run red lights. In fact, not many motorists chase down cyclists that do that, even if they'd like to, because most people's rage is impotent in the real world. But it's there alright, even if it's absent for those people who do things that can and often do kill innocent strangers.

What depresses me, though, is not the scale and tenacity of this strange sentiment against people who choose and enjoy a form of innocuous, self-propelled transport. It's the realisation that this will never change. Not in our lifetimes.

What strange creatures we are.
User avatar Stingray34

01 Feb 2019 01:50

Stingray34 wrote:...and the Tool of the Month Award goes to...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cop-that-d-head-cyclists-in-viral-video-were-off-duty-policemen-20190131-p50upn.html

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. This isn't a feel-good story at all. I apologise for my facetiousness. You see, when I posted this yesterday there were no comments on the article. Reading them this morning was sobering, as the majority of them were sympathetic to the driver. They were sympathetic to a man that drove a one-and-a-half metric ton steel machine - at speed - on a path for pedestrians and cyclists. Is it just me or is that as reckless as carrying a live grenade into a food court? One we call terrorism, the other making a point to entitled, noisy minorities that receive special treatment. Bear in mind that this newspaper isn't a trashy, shit-stirring tabloid read by angry, pick up-driving men in wifebeaters. It's regarded as the masthead of choice for the educated middle class of Sydney, Australia.

I don't understand this widespread animosity for our particular out-group in English speaking countries. Just what is it about Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Canada, the USA et al that festers this indignation? That we're frequent, flagrant rule breakers? Yeah, no. Not many people chase down motorists that run red lights. In fact, not many motorists chase down cyclists that do that, even if they'd like to, because most people's rage is impotent in the real world. But it's there alright, even if it's absent for those people who do things that can and often do kill innocent strangers.

What depresses me, though, is not the scale and tenacity of this strange sentiment against people who choose and enjoy a form of innocuous, self-propelled transport. It's the realisation that this will never change. Not in our lifetimes.

Sad but true...........
movingtarget
Veteran

02 Feb 2019 00:25

Australia takes it to far greater heights. I truly believe that it's a matter of time before some populist POS runs a state/local government election campaign based on legislating the bogan wishes - single file, registration, group size limits, mandatory use of bike lanes/paths etc.

I've ridden in NZ, USA, Canada and the UK and can say without hesitation that Australia is easily the most hostile towards people riding bikes. This fascination that someone else is somehow "getting away" with doing things they cannot is unhealthy, as is this all important attitude that whatever we are doing takes priority over everybody else. Road rage statistics here are climbing at an alarming rate in every state.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

06 Feb 2019 03:40

why the animosity?
that's easy - we're an easy target, a very easy target
you can't pick on gender, race, religion, 'preference', short, fat, ugly, etc, etc, which leaves effectively just us left as one of the few groups you can legally discriminate against...
Want to vent at some group? well, go for this one. Hell, you can even run one over and only cop a small fine instead of going to jail...
User avatar Archibald

06 Feb 2019 23:33

Speaking of deadbeats I just read that a guy in QLD on a trail bike almost got decapitated after someone placed a wire across a forestry track. Luckily he was going slow and had time to react but he was still coat hangered and thrown from his bike.
movingtarget
Veteran

12 Feb 2019 11:19

Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General