Register

Classic Racing Pics

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Roche Getting Oxygen at La Plagne

07 Aug 2009 20:22

diavolo

08 Aug 2009 00:13

Thoughtforfood wrote:Pure class, pure class...
So TFF, double entrende's aside, just whom do you find more reprehensible...
[SIZE="1"]Where ever you find yourself, there you are[/SIZE]
User avatar benpounder

08 Aug 2009 00:20

Leave that one out...
Regardless it's just typical of the"Sheriff"
User avatar dolophonic

08 Aug 2009 01:45

Fausto Coppi and Hugo Koblet.
slowoldman

08 Aug 2009 01:50

benpounder wrote:So TFF, double entrende's aside, just whom do you find more reprehensible...

You know the answer to that question, so why did you ask?

I would ask you this, what did the guy in the yellow suit do that was "reprehensible?"
Thoughtforfood

08 Aug 2009 04:48

Thoughtforfood wrote:You know the answer to that question, so why did you ask?
To get the follow up question... of course.:)

Thoughtforfood wrote:I would ask you this, what did the guy in the yellow suit do that was "reprehensible?"
Running before the race leaders, on an inside corner, in a costume designed to piss off the peloton.

Are you going to argue that that fellow with giant hypodermics was really a fan of the ongoing race?
User avatar benpounder

08 Aug 2009 05:35

slowoldman wrote:Image

Fausto Coppi and Hugo Koblet.

Wow, look at that, there are just as many people lining the roadside as there are today and they are all sitting respectfully and watching their heroes ride by. Somehow in this pre internet pre national inquirer pre infotainment age there are no guys dressed in junkie outfits waving handfuls of bennies in front of the riders and accusing them of what they are, jacked to the gills on amphetamines and whatever else they could get their hands on that they thought might help them ride faster.
Why is that? Could it be as simple as nobody had the power to tell them how to think?
Almost nobody on this forum has any direct information. It flows either from someone with a vested interest or an axe to grind with whatever the subject is.
Everyone on this board has made their mind up long ago and has their point of view which they are ready to defend to the death (at least of polite discourse). Nobody is gonna change their mind and yet we go back and forth with this article said this, and that article said that. Well guess what, you can always find something on the internet that will agree with your point of view, the standard is not that high. And it's not that high in print anymore either, they are grasping at straws.
I guess what I am really saying is, please dear god give us another Grand Tour, so at least for a little while, we can have something concrete to argue about.
User avatar Hugh Januss

because cycling's about motion

08 Aug 2009 07:45

1962 Short Film about the Tour de France Some clips of Bahamontes, Poulidor, Anquetil, Rik van Looy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6ZycaBelU#

I know it's not a photo, but it's still classic cycling.
Most people's signatures are a stupid waste of time, just like this one.
User avatar badboyberty

08 Aug 2009 08:39

Bottecchia OttavioImageImageImage
User avatar 53 x 11

08 Aug 2009 11:20

Hugh Januss wrote:Wow, look at that, there are just as many people lining the roadside as there are today and they are all sitting respectfully and watching their heroes ride by. Somehow in this pre internet pre national inquirer pre infotainment age there are no guys dressed in junkie outfits waving handfuls of bennies in front of the riders and accusing them of what they are, jacked to the gills on amphetamines and whatever else they could get their hands on that they thought might help them ride faster.
Why is that? Could it be as simple as nobody had the power to tell them how to think?
Almost nobody on this forum has any direct information. It flows either from someone with a vested interest or an axe to grind with whatever the subject is.
Everyone on this board has made their mind up long ago and has their point of view which they are ready to defend to the death (at least of polite discourse). Nobody is gonna change their mind and yet we go back and forth with this article said this, and that article said that. Well guess what, you can always find something on the internet that will agree with your point of view, the standard is not that high. And it's not that high in print anymore either, they are grasping at straws.
I guess what I am really saying is, Tour, so at least for a little while, we can have something concplease dear god give us another Grand rete to argue about.

Hugh Anus, I agree with you totally, except that we don't need a Grand Tour: There are three great races going on right now, and all are LIVE on the internet: Tour of Poland, Tour of Brugos, and Tour of Portugal. I've been watching le Tour de Pologne and it has been a great race with Alessandro Ballan and Ed Boasson Hagen duelling down to the finish (today), but nobody seems to want to talk about bike racing. I guess doping and intra-team bickering by the Personalities is so much more interesting.
Hammerhed

08 Aug 2009 11:27

Thoughtforfood wrote:You know the answer to that question, so why did you ask?

I would ask you this, what did the guy in the yellow suit do that was "reprehensible?"

I'm not exactly a fan of the one who pushed, but he was in his right.

Those clowns running besides cyclists, swerving due to exertion/booze/ whatever floats their boat... it's a disgrace. There have been many instances where there couldn't be any demarages due to the public. Also riders get hindered or even fall due to these idiots.

The public should just be the public: give the rider berth and stay put. If you want to make a statement, carry a banner, that will be good enough.
Franklin

08 Aug 2009 13:44

benpounder wrote:To get the follow up question... of course.:)

Running before the race leaders, on an inside corner, in a costume designed to piss off the peloton.

Are you going to argue that that fellow with giant hypodermics was really a fan of the ongoing race?

Yes he is a fan. He just wants to see clean racing. I will never understand why I have to accept doping, and the extent to which it is done to be a "fan." He and I both love cycling, we just hate what doping does to the sport we love.

Pushing a man down who was in no way threatening the safety of the riders (because they are approaching from behind and can move to their left easily) was a bully move. We have come to expect as much from Lance. He is nothing but a bully.
Thoughtforfood

08 Aug 2009 14:07

I have looked at some of these pictures and just gone "thats ****ing awesome!"

I'm with Hammerhead, I might just go and watch those 3 tours and enjoy them, regardless of the competitors current medical status.

Boonen at Flanders

Annnddd the less fortunate at Flanders

User avatar wpsracing78

08 Aug 2009 16:50

Thoughtforfood wrote:Yes he is a fan. He just wants to see clean racing. I will never understand why I have to accept doping, and the extent to which it is done to be a "fan." He and I both love cycling, we just hate what doping does to the sport we love.

I'm sorry, I do not doubt your motives, but I do doubt his. When I look at him I see someone who wants to get his five minutes of fame by dressing in a "funny" way.

Pushing a man down who was in no way threatening the safety of the riders (because they are approaching from behind and can move to their left easily) was a bully move. We have come to expect as much from Lance. He is nothing but a bully.

What if he swerved? What if his dress gets caught in a wheel? And these things do happen, so it's not farfetched. Like the guy with bullhorns on his helmet... stay away PLEASE.
Franklin

08 Aug 2009 17:36

Franklin wrote:I'm sorry, I do not doubt your motives, but I do doubt his. When I look at him I see someone who wants to get his five minutes of fame by dressing in a "funny" way.

What if he swerved? What if his dress gets caught in a wheel? And these things do happen, so it's not farfetched. Like the guy with bullhorns on his helmet... stay away PLEASE.

Then here is your question, why hasn't The Uniballer been shoving people down for years? There are fans in Europe who bet much closer, and I have never seen him shove them down. Why pick out that guy?

As for the fan in question. I am sure that if all he wanted was to get on TV, he could have just dressed in a Texas cycling kit and put a stupid elk horn helmet on. I wonder why that guy has never been shoved down?
Thoughtforfood

08 Aug 2009 19:44

Eros Poli - Ventoux 1994
User avatar luckyboy

08 Aug 2009 20:03

Getting back on topic, well sort of, a shot of a true fan:
I couldnt find the shot of Vladimir Belli punching out a fan during the 14 stage of the 2001 Giro. Anyone close enough to the riders to get punched or pushed down, I wouldn't consider a true fan...
User avatar benpounder

08 Aug 2009 20:21

While the syringe guy getting pushed has a right to make his statement, he was a little too close. If he slipped a bit or dodged the snow, he could easily have caused a crash. While Lance might have had a little extra motivation, he or any other rider was well justified in shoving that guy out of the way.

The Hampsten on the Gavia pics are classic. The other one that is a favorite that I can't seem to find a good copy of is the finish of the Chambery worlds with Lemond beating Kelly and Konyshev.
slcbiker

08 Aug 2009 20:30

benpounder wrote:Getting back on topic, well sort of, a shot of a true fan:
I couldnt find the shot of Vladimir Belli punching out a fan during the 14 stage of the 2001 Giro. Anyone close enough to the riders to get punched or pushed down, I wouldn't consider a true fan...

Whether or not they are true fans, if they are that close they are fair game.
User avatar Hugh Januss

08 Aug 2009 22:52

User1234 wrote:Yeah, but who is that on Kelly's wheel. Adri Van Der Poel?

One of the Madiot brothers(Marc or Yvan) of Renault-Elf-Gitane.
User avatar Irish2009

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing