Log in:  

Register

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 May 2018 21:01

Did 75 km and 1500 m of climbing on my road bike around the Odenwald today. I was riding with a guy way faster than me and he really made me suffer on the false flat valley roads. When we were hitting the hills I hadn't really recovered, so I'm pretty tired now :D
Sestriere
Member
 
Posts: 451
Joined: 24 Jun 2017 11:59

25 May 2018 19:56

A local ramp to me, it crazy steep, sorry about the swearing in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDkraF30rkg
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,425
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

29 May 2018 19:16

So I did my first TT today, I borrowed my friends tri-bike with some nice wheels (no disc tho) and just went for it. The TT was 34 long and completely in 54 minutes, so around 38 km/ph. It was pretty demoralizing just getting overtaken by guys going at 44 km/ph on flat roads, I simply couldn't push harder than I did.

Fun experience. I like proper road racing better as I am much more of the explosive type on the hills around here (I dont have the highest FTP, but am very good at anerobic efforts at around 1-2 minutes, especially late on a ride/race) and like the tactics of that, but its interesting to try another discipline.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,539
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

29 Jul 2018 07:59

Not today or yesterday. Too much (gusts of) wind and rain.
User avatar maanderx
New Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 21:26

04 Oct 2018 18:40

Did a ride a bit south of Aalborg with a friend of mine today. Really nice rider, a bit more than 1 hour and a half and a decently hard one, relatively hard tempo and intervals on the hills. Going to ride a decent amount with him (1-2 times a week) this winter to get the base going as we are planning to race competitively in the spring.

Last sunday, we also did the club championship. Attacked with 1 km to go on a hill and and got wheeled in with 200 metres to go. Im very explosive at hills around 30 sec - 2 min, but I just cant seem to hold that effort when I got the gap and a group is chasing. Gonna work on that during the winter
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,539
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

07 Oct 2018 03:19

Valv.Piti wrote:Did a ride a bit south of Aalborg with a friend of mine today. Really nice rider, a bit more than 1 hour and a half and a decently hard one, relatively hard tempo and intervals on the hills. Going to ride a decent amount with him (1-2 times a week) this winter to get the base going as we are planning to race competitively in the spring.

Last sunday, we also did the club championship. Attacked with 1 km to go on a hill and and got wheeled in with 200 metres to go. Im very explosive at hills around 30 sec - 2 min, but I just cant seem to hold that effort when I got the gap and a group is chasing. Gonna work on that during the winter

Are you familar with Frydendal hill? I think it's almost identical to Hatta Dam. Really steep, but short enough to sprint all the way to the top.

I remember when I was there visiting my Danish cousin, we did a tiny circuit with it as the centerpiece. We also did a ride in the hilly Western part with a lot of mansions the next day.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,348
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re: Re:

07 Oct 2018 13:14

Velolover2 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Did a ride a bit south of Aalborg with a friend of mine today. Really nice rider, a bit more than 1 hour and a half and a decently hard one, relatively hard tempo and intervals on the hills. Going to ride a decent amount with him (1-2 times a week) this winter to get the base going as we are planning to race competitively in the spring.

Last sunday, we also did the club championship. Attacked with 1 km to go on a hill and and got wheeled in with 200 metres to go. Im very explosive at hills around 30 sec - 2 min, but I just cant seem to hold that effort when I got the gap and a group is chasing. Gonna work on that during the winter

Are you familar with Frydendal hill? I think it's almost identical to Hatta Dam. Really steep, but short enough to sprint all the way to the top.

I remember when I was there visiting my Danish cousin, we did a tiny circuit with it as the centerpiece. We also did a ride in the hilly Western part with a lot of mansions the next day.

Yep, I'd say I do Frydendal 50% of the time when Im done with a ride. Not necessarily all out, just go get the last bit out of the legs. Usually go at a steady pace and climb it a couple of times. I live under 1 km from there, so..

Yeah, the hilly Western part is also pretty nice, but there is a bit traffic.

Did 80 today, totally spent, nice feeling as always
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,539
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

08 Oct 2018 17:06

Today I did the Gramartbode climb in Innsbruck, if you have the right gears and you're able to pace yourself on the first part of th climb you can gt over the really steep section, it's not that bad, 've done worse on other climbs.
If it's race and a team sets a hard pace on the early section of he climb, well that changes a lot and makes it really hard,
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,378
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

17 Oct 2018 07:39

Hi, not sure if this is in the right section or not but, I've signed up for the Birmingham Velo 100 mile bike ride around my local area. I'm a semi regular rider but the most mileage I've done is 50. Thinking about the ride the other day when I just finished another 45 miler, my body said to me that "if I was gonna go and do the route I just did again, you can go and f**k yourself". I'm pretty much spent. Is there any tips to get over the mental side of doing the extra distance or is it a case of stop your bl***y whining and get on with it. I'm hoping to do it in about 6.5 to 7 hours, which isn't busting a gut, but fast enough for me. Thanks.
wheresmybrakes
Member
 
Posts: 361
Joined: 11 Sep 2016 17:29

17 Oct 2018 20:40

It’s been pouring rain all week here, so Netflix and trainer for me :(
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,910
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

18 Oct 2018 12:36

wheresmybrakes wrote:Hi, not sure if this is in the right section or not but, I've signed up for the Birmingham Velo 100 mile bike ride around my local area. I'm a semi regular rider but the most mileage I've done is 50. Thinking about the ride the other day when I just finished another 45 miler, my body said to me that "if I was gonna go and do the route I just did again, you can go and f**k yourself". I'm pretty much spent. Is there any tips to get over the mental side of doing the extra distance or is it a case of stop your bl***y whining and get on with it. I'm hoping to do it in about 6.5 to 7 hours, which isn't busting a gut, but fast enough for me. Thanks.


If you can do 50 miles you can do 100. Mentally that extra digit can really get to people. The scenario you describe is very common among all riders, whether they can knock out 100+ mile rides every day or it's a once a season goal, and that is that when a ride is finished, it's finished. Your brain is telling you it's coming to an end as you see things that tell you you're close to home and you start to think about the warm shower and how much food you can now eat without feeling guilty. If you know the route you'll also pace yourself for the distance you're riding/training you are doing. Try extending your route by ten miles. You'll make it round fine and then feel the same at the end, but this time you've gone ten miles further.

Best advice for the actual ride is to go out and maintain an effort level that you are sure you can maintain for the ride. Don't blow yourself up chasing whippets up hills or fight to push 50/52/53x11 down the hills. Don;t chase wheels trying to get a draft, but putting yourself in the red doing it. Take advantage of the food stops to eat and drink but don't hang around for ages, getting cold and starting again isn't fun. Eat little and often. Digesting small amounts over time is better than a massive hit all at once. And enjoy it! Don't see it as something you're fighting to finish, it's something you want to do and have a great day doing it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,432
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

18 Oct 2018 18:23

King Boonen wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:Hi, not sure if this is in the right section or not but, I've signed up for the Birmingham Velo 100 mile bike ride around my local area. I'm a semi regular rider but the most mileage I've done is 50. Thinking about the ride the other day when I just finished another 45 miler, my body said to me that "if I was gonna go and do the route I just did again, you can go and f**k yourself". I'm pretty much spent. Is there any tips to get over the mental side of doing the extra distance or is it a case of stop your bl***y whining and get on with it. I'm hoping to do it in about 6.5 to 7 hours, which isn't busting a gut, but fast enough for me. Thanks.


If you can do 50 miles you can do 100. Mentally that extra digit can really get to people. The scenario you describe is very common among all riders, whether they can knock out 100+ mile rides every day or it's a once a season goal, and that is that when a ride is finished, it's finished. Your brain is telling you it's coming to an end as you see things that tell you you're close to home and you start to think about the warm shower and how much food you can now eat without feeling guilty. If you know the route you'll also pace yourself for the distance you're riding/training you are doing. Try extending your route by ten miles. You'll make it round fine and then feel the same at the end, but this time you've gone ten miles further.

Best advice for the actual ride is to go out and maintain an effort level that you are sure you can maintain for the ride. Don't blow yourself up chasing whippets up hills or fight to push 50/52/53x11 down the hills. Don;t chase wheels trying to get a draft, but putting yourself in the red doing it. Take advantage of the food stops to eat and drink but don't hang around for ages, getting cold and starting again isn't fun. Eat little and often. Digesting small amounts over time is better than a massive hit all at once. And enjoy it! Don't see it as something you're fighting to finish, it's something you want to do and have a great day doing it.


Great advice, thanks. I've been thinking about it more and decided to get at least 1 decent long ride in a week buy going 5 to 10 miles extra on top of a couple of short to middle ish rides. It is in may so have plenty of time but with the winter over the horizon, I'm not expecting to get out every week so am gonna invest in a turbo trainer. The wife has thrown a spanner in the works too.....she wants me to get the snip!!!!!!!! She can wait til after the ride!!!! :lol: :lol:
wheresmybrakes
Member
 
Posts: 361
Joined: 11 Sep 2016 17:29

19 Oct 2018 02:37

The biggest thing is pacing, pacing and pacing.

Every sportive/fondo/charity ride is packed with riders who start out charging like a bull at a gate. After an hour they’ll be breathing out of every orifice, and after 3 hours they’ll be struggling with anything larger than a speed hump.

The best way to prepare is to focus on 2-4 hour training rides first, with focus on time, not speed, then start adding speed gradually from around 5-6 weeks out.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,910
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Back to top