Register

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

14 Oct 2018 00:39

Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

14 Oct 2018 00:48

movingtarget wrote:Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.

Earlier in his career I think people may justifiably have seen his mentality as a weakness. In retrospect, there is a real mental strength in being able to come back from disaster stronger, and he has done so repeatedly.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 03:47

Will be interesting to see how he approaches the TDF in 2019 which will be his seasons goal.
yaco

14 Oct 2018 04:28

Well done by Pinot, finally a great win. And Tonton, I am sure that your sore head this morning was worth it.
Yingge

14 Oct 2018 05:17

Great race, and worthy winner! Seems like there is a lesson here for other 2nd tier GC contenders like Porte, Landa etc. Work on your weaknesses and target some one day classics to get back the feel good factor.
dastott

14 Oct 2018 05:42

Good rode by Pinot and hopefully he can continue to gain one day and GT stage wins. I think the only way he can win a GT is if a miracle happened.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re: Re:

14 Oct 2018 06:14

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.

Earlier in his career I think people may justifiably have seen his mentality as a weakness. In retrospect, there is a real mental strength in being able to come back from disaster stronger, and he has done so repeatedly.

Be interesting to see the racing schedule Pinot opts for next year after his success this season.
movingtarget
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 06:18

movingtarget wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

Be interesting to see the racing schedule Pinot opts for next year after his success this season.

I expect Pinot is under a lot of pressure to ride TdF.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Oct 2018 06:43

Robert5091 wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

He already made his mind before this Holy Week: he will commit to the Tour de France in 2019.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

14 Oct 2018 08:46

Great win from Pinto !
This represents a big achievement in cycling, especially for a GT contender.
Next year he'll turn again toward the TDF.
Last years the level was very close between top racers, at least in mountains. He must be 100% in every mountain stage AND improve his TT to achieve top 5.
I'm not sure he can remove everyone from his wheel like he did in la vuelta two times. Only Thomas managed this in 2018 and no-one in 2017 as far as I remember.

Well, first we need to wait for the stages presentation :)
User avatar dercuforever

14 Oct 2018 09:50

Is Tibo the most popular (among ‘knowledgeable fans’) of the leading riders?

Very happy. Loved watching him ride over the last month or so.
Jacques (7 ch)

14 Oct 2018 11:01

Jacques (7 ch) wrote:Is Tibo the most popular (among ‘knowledgeable fans’) of the leading riders?

Very happy. Loved watching him ride over the last month or so.

He and Nibali I guess
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

14 Oct 2018 11:01

Truly happy for Tibopino. This was a fantastic race overall and he dominated it in every way. He was tactically flawless and clearly the strongest rider. Chapeau to a great champion.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 13:04

Alexandre B. wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

He already made his mind before this Holy Week: he will commit to the Tour de France in 2019.

Sounds like he will do the Tour and maybe stage hunt again in the Vuelta although I still think Giro/Vuelta is best for him. Last two Giros he was in position to make the podium but couldn't get there for various reasons. Namely TT and illness, his two biggest issues in his grand tour career.
movingtarget
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 14:07

Who thought we would see the day when Pinot descended faster than Nibali?
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives

14 Oct 2018 14:29

Is he certain to do the Tour next year? It seems to me with no Dumoulin or Froome at the Giro, his strongest opponent there, if he were to go, would be whichever Yates brother shows up. Or maybe Nibali, to whom he’s just shown a clear back tire. Depending on the parcours, it could be his best ever chance to actually win a GT, and bridge a gap all the way back to Fignon.

Also as others have said, I’d love to see him try the Ardennes.
Leinster

14 Oct 2018 21:28

THIBAUT PINOT - 2018 RECAP

The dust is slowly settling after the fantastic ending of Thibaut Pinot's '18 campaign. And as I did last year, I'm offering a breakdown and some thoughts following what was undeniably a roller-coaster ride.

The program was different than in previous years, and Thibaut started his season three weeks later than usual. So while his fellow pros were mixing it up early in the season, on February 11, a relaxed Pinot was testing his body in the heart of his native Franche-Comté. He did so by participating in the Transjurassienne and posing for pictures with his many fans.

As part of the La Sapaudia team (an organization helping the fight against leukemia), our People's Champion raised some eyebrows by cracking the top-50 of this world-class cross-country skiing competition (2,200 participants).

One week later, Thibaut was riding the Tour du Haut-Var as a training block, finishing 13th and 6th on the two stages and finishing 5th in the GC standings at 3" of the winner.

One month later, on March 19th, Thibaut came to Catalunya with no big ambitions but to get some race days in a one-week competition. With a 3rd place in Camprodon, a 5th place in La Molina, and a 10th place in the GC standings, everything seemed to go according to plans: the first real objective was three weeks away.

Italy: the cape was on as the super-hero lined-up on April 16 at the Tour of Whatever, also known as Alps, for me it will always be Trentino. And the name of the story was "The Revenge of Tibopino". Having narrowly lost to a (too fast) Geraint in '17, it was time for a showdown on the Italian/Austrian border. Nice 4-2-2-4-6 grouping for Tibopino, who won the GC ahead of Pozzo, MAL, and the Dawg.

We all know what happened. A great Giro, a great fight, Il Tibopino earned the podium that eluded him the year before with a very strong showing on stage 19...well, almost...

...and then.

It's sports, no one died, so the parallel to 9/11 is a massive exaggeration on my part. But in many ways, it felt that way. I was watching my TV in total disbelief. That brave kid's dreams were being shattered, he could barely stay on his bike, he was agonizing, but he kept on going, he refused to give up.

It's one thing to be a fan: I can't imagine what Thibaut Pinot went through on that day, and in the days that followed. Many think, and it may be romanticizing, that this huge setback gave Thibaut a new prospective on cycling, which paid big time in the end of the season.

In any case, no TdF for Thibaut, and we found him back in better form than expected at the Tour of Poland in early August. On a route that was not tailor-made for a rider with his skill-set, the GC podium was encouraging ahead of his return to La Vuelta.

Much to my dismay (I must confess), El Tibo lined up on August 26 at the start of La Vuelta with two objectives: win a stage, and put the Giro memories behind him. Basically, have fun and finish fresh. He lost time on stage 6, so at no time was there the temptation to switch objectives and go for the GC. And fun he had.

The win at the Lagos de Covadonga put El Tibo in the elite circle of stage winners in all three Grand Tours. And a few days later, again from the front group, he did it again. Fun he had.

The RRWC showed another positive showing for Thibaut...not his performance on the bike (he was strong), not his top-10, but how he put his own ambitions aside for the good of his National Team. That's the kind of things that didn't go un-noticed in Thibaut's own GFC team. True leaders can be followers.

The best was yet to come with his best Italian fall classics campaign. 5th in Emillia, 54th at the GP Beghelli, 2nd at the Tre Valli, and as I was lamenting that Tibopino was second again, my stated optimism was rewarded: Milano-Torino...

Thibaut Pinot's first one-day race win. Even The Don was having fun.

And the best was yet to come. The best Tibopino ever had to be in Italy, on the greatest stage, against a great field, battling with the greatest Italian rider of his generation, Vincenzo Nibali. The two know each other well, since the '14 TdF, they have shared many podiums together, Il Squalo has always been an inspiration for Tibopino. The scenario couldn't have been better. Il Muro di Sormano for the decisive move, it doesn't get much better than that.

Tibopino had never shown so much aggression, never dominated a race of this caliber, he was a beast, demonstrated that when his head is in the right place he can out-descend the best descenders or at least be just as good. What a win.

And the respect. That picture below is priceless.

Best PCS point total for a year with 1757, 69 race days, 5 wins (all of them big), 34 top-10s.

Last year, I wrote my recap the day after Lombardia and concluded by stating:

"[...] in '17 Thibaut became more explosive at the expense of his ITT skills. Fine tuning is required. Tibopino is reaching his prime. He's not intimidated anymore. Descending? Correct me if I'm wrong but he kept the gap to the other guys even when Nibali took off. Like in '15 BTW. [...] he's one of the best riders in the World. He's mean. He's hungry. If it's true that good things happen to good people, I'm looking forward to next year's recap."

So here we are a year later and there are still question-marks, outstanding items on last year's list. And the same old question: can Thibaut Pinot win a GT? I hope so. And when I see all the happiness on this forum following yesterday's race, fans are earned: as long as he races like he has done in '18, with heart, bringing honor to his sport, he'll find more and more cycling fans in his corner. And that maybe his biggest win in '18.

Vai Tibopino!
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

14 Oct 2018 22:07

That is respect right there. Love that picture on the podium with Nibali and Pinot.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

14 Oct 2018 22:11

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/the-weekly-spin-thibaut-pinot-pro-cyclings-most-mortal-star/

A very nice profile piece.

Thanks for the post above TonTon. He really has put together an impressive palmares now.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 22:20

Merci Tonton. Here's via @friebos Thibaut Pinot's results in Italian races (final GC position only for stage races) from 2015-2018, most recent last:

4, 13, 4, 3, 5, 9, 3, 2, 4, 8, 81, 2, 8, 5, 1, DNF, 5, 54, 2, 1, 1
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing