Register

The official Primož Roglič is the new Rominger thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

07 Mar 2019 14:13

Lequack wrote:New article from the main page about Primoz and his ambition at the Giro:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/primoz-roglic-from-ski-jumper-to-giro-ditalia-contender/

Learning a lot seems to be the theme, while downplaying possibilities. It's his first start as a GT leader. Let's see how he handles the pressure. I think he can podium, maybe even win!
But I'd prefer to see Nibali take down his last GT in the Giro :), Primoz will get his turn(s).
Alberto Contador=Legend!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

07 Mar 2019 18:32

He is 2/3 in the odds. So he is looking good.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

08 Mar 2019 11:33

With Yates and TD, definitely a favorite.
Son of Amsterhammer

Re: Re:

15 Mar 2019 00:03

HelloDolly wrote:
dastott wrote:With his descending, climbing, TTing and sprinting (and consistency) there are so many races this man could win. One of the most exciting riders in the peloton.

No doubt Roglic is an immense talent considering that he only got his first bike 6 years ago...Also he is built like a top rider (small compact and muscular), he is very fit , mastered the TT , can sprint uphill and can climb ..I have no doubt he will win a GT...(reminds me of a young LeMond ...natural talent)

However I would never ever call him exciting ...his personality like his racing is measured and controlled
Many on here are on the bandwagon and he is now the greatest things since sliced bread but wait till he wins alot and the same people will be moaning that he is not exciting

Todays stage is a prime example why your statement is wrong (the bold part). Today he had no business attacking like he did. Why? He is in prime position to win the overall, other riders need time on him, not the other way around. Moreover the stage didn't suit him at all, he had minimal chances to win. Yet he attacked and pushed hard for a couple of kms without looking back and with no rider giving him a change other than Lutsenko for couple hundred meters. Lets face it, from a tactical standpoint the attack was stupid. It had no sense. If he wanted to win the stage he should had preserved as much energy as possible and should had gone in the last km or so with a finisseur like attack. I think he lost a top3 place today and bonus seconds with his way of racing. But this is him. Primoz will attack plenty when he doesn't need to and that often makes the stage more interesting for us. He has done it in the past and will continue doing it in the future. I call this exciting racing, thus he is an exciting rider to watch.
User avatar johnymax

15 Mar 2019 08:22

johnymax wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:
dastott wrote:With his descending, climbing, TTing and sprinting (and consistency) there are so many races this man could win. One of the most exciting riders in the peloton.

No doubt Roglic is an immense talent considering that he only got his first bike 6 years ago...Also he is built like a top rider (small compact and muscular), he is very fit , mastered the TT , can sprint uphill and can climb ..I have no doubt he will win a GT...(reminds me of a young LeMond ...natural talent)

However I would never ever call him exciting ...his personality like his racing is measured and controlled
Many on here are on the bandwagon and he is now the greatest things since sliced bread but wait till he wins alot and the same people will be moaning that he is not exciting

Todays stage is a prime example why your statement is wrong (the bold part). Today he had no business attacking like he did. Why? He is in prime position to win the overall, other riders need time on him, not the other way around. Moreover the stage didn't suit him at all, he had minimal chances to win. Yet he attacked and pushed hard for a couple of kms without looking back and with no rider giving him a change other than Lutsenko for couple hundred meters. Lets face it, from a tactical standpoint the attack was stupid. It had no sense. If he wanted to win the stage he should had preserved as much energy as possible and should had gone in the last km or so with a finisseur like attack. I think he lost a top3 place today and bonus seconds with his way of racing. But this is him. Primoz will attack plenty when he doesn't need to and that often makes the stage more interesting for us. He has done it in the past and will continue doing it in the future. I call this exciting racing, thus he is an exciting rider to watch.

Contador used to attack just for the sake of attacking and people would get wet/hard over it. If someone else does it, it's stupid. He may be testing himself, he may be testing others, i'm sure if he felt bad he wouldn't have attacked and preserved his position.
wheresmybrakes

17 Mar 2019 00:04

Great ride today again by Primoz, it's now surely between him and Yates for the GC.

PS: He and his girlfriend just confirmed they're expecting a baby. :)

Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

17 Mar 2019 16:04

Sorry I stand by my assessment of Roglic not being exciting.

Prefer Nibali, Dumoulin,The Yates ,Pinot, and alot of the others
HelloDolly

Re:

17 Mar 2019 16:20

HelloDolly wrote:Sorry I stand by my assessment of Roglic not being exciting.

Lol what. Adam Yates more exciting tha Primoz is just, yeah, stupid...
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Mar 2019 17:01

Valv.Piti wrote:

Lol what. Adam Yates more exciting tha Primoz is just, yeah, stupid...

Hmm, don't you think you're exaggerating the "Adam Yates is the least attacking rider in the world" a bit more than is necessary (and far more than what's true)?
User avatar tobydawq

17 Mar 2019 17:06

I do, but Rogla is genuinely an attacking and entertaining rider
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

17 Mar 2019 17:09

Valv.Piti wrote:I do, but Rogla is genuinely an attacking and entertaining rider

Yes, but Adam has also won plenty of races due to attacking racing, so I don't really follow your tirade against him.
User avatar tobydawq

17 Mar 2019 17:13

tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I do, but Rogla is genuinely an attacking and entertaining rider

Yes, but Adam has also won plenty of races due to attacking racing, so I don't really follow your tirade against him.

Adam Yates seems to be a rider where the pace is just high enough that can't attack, yet never high enough to get dropped. I think that holds true for him when riding GTs. He has been incredibly uninspiring so far in these races unfortunately. I also think its the attitude where you get the impression that attacking never, ever has crossed his mind when sitting last and overtaking a rider after another.

In lesser races, obviously he attacks, but its none more than at the very end. I didn't watch todays stage so I cant really say who initiated what outside of Fuglsang.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Mar 2019 17:25

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Adam Yates seems to be a rider where the pace is just high enough that can't attack, yet never high enough to get dropped. I think that holds true for him when riding GTs. He has been incredibly uninspiring so far in these races unfortunately. I also think its the attitude where you get the impression that attacking never, ever has crossed his mind when sitting last and overtaking a rider after another.

In lesser races, obviously he attacks, but its none more than at the very end. I didn't watch todays stage so I cant really say who initiated what outside of Fuglsang.

Yates did it all today. He attacked at the bottom of the penultimate climb, shredded everybody, somewhat mistakenly let Roglic get back at the top, and then he led all the way to the final climb where he dropped Roglic again.

In 2015 he won Clásica San Sebastián from a solo attack. The same year he had attacked in the Montréal race but lost to Wellens. Both those races couldn't be televised, but the attacks still happened.

In the Tour last year, he had attacked solo and was on his way to a stage victory but crashed on the descent of the Col du Portillon. Previously that year he had won a stage in Dauphiné (by being the strongest) and in Tirreno (by attacking far out considering the nature of the finale).

It's a long time since he has been in shape to be at the top end of the GC in a GT, and you can't expect a rider to attack if he doesn't have the shape.
Last edited by tobydawq on 17 Mar 2019 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar tobydawq

17 Mar 2019 17:39

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Now you assessment of Adam Yates is stupid...(dont like personal attacks but if you are rude enough to need to name call rather than argue the point you deserve it back).I have sen nothing but attacking riding from both yates brothers (who are very alike in their style)
HelloDolly

17 Mar 2019 18:22

And it continues - Posters making ill-informed statements without watching the stage - This is mind-boggling.
yaco

Re:

17 Mar 2019 21:49

Dumoulin exciting and Roglic isn't?!
Sorry, your assessment is wrong.
User avatar Blanco

17 Mar 2019 22:09

Adam is great outside GTs and kinda lacklustre as a GT rider.

Not sure what would make Dumoulin or Roglic boring. Both are pretty agressive when they have the legs.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Yesterday 16:12

I'm officially becoming a fan of this guy. Great stuff, curious to see how he's going to race the Giro. I expect him to be less aggressive in the Giro's first week, but just following Dumoulin, Bernal and Yates. After that first part he'll give us fireworks
Cinemaniak

Yesterday 16:14

A great win for soon-to-be dad. So happy for him.

Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

Yesterday 16:29

Roglic is the king of one week stage races - He's setting a high benchmark.
yaco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing