Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

15 Mar 2019 01:52

Impressive ITT from Bernal.
User avatar Koronin

15 Mar 2019 02:18

Giro is too stacked, but maybe Vuelta?
Son of Amsterhammer

Re:

15 Mar 2019 04:12

Son of Amsterhammer wrote:Giro is too stacked, but maybe Vuelta?

Vuelta won't have as many as part of the GC riders are headed to the Tour after the Giro. This year's Giro has the best GC field for a GT in a long time.
User avatar Koronin

16 Mar 2019 18:19

Looking good to win P-N
del1962
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2019 18:51

del1962 wrote:Looking good to win P-N

Already his second one week WT-race after winning Cal last year. Second in Romandie as well. He has the potential to win lots and lots of these kind of races compared to other great great climbers due to him being so versatile and in most cases, probably the best or 2nd best rider on hard MTFs. A great recipe. Would have been more fun to see him in Itzulia afterwards instead of Catalunya tho - lets see if he can win against Valverde. Very much doubting it such a route, but its possible on Vallter if he has great legs.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Mar 2019 16:31

He’s barely done blowing out the candles on his 22nd birthday cake and he wins one of the most prestigous one week races on the calendar. Amazing rider. Catalunya and Trentino next I think.
User avatar DNP-Old

17 Mar 2019 16:35

Shame that he didnt get to stomp his authority with a trademark attack on one of the last few stages, but it is what it is. Sky really doesnt need him to be that rider when he is gaining time on the competition in time trials and echelons.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Mar 2019 18:59

Congratulations to Bernal. That was a great win. One for his Palmares.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

17 Mar 2019 19:27

Good win for Bernal at P-N - at the front when windy, good TT and held his own uphill. How it goes at the Giro will be interesting.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Don't mention Khashoggi! It’s a collusion witch hoax!
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

17 Mar 2019 19:41

Valv.Piti wrote:Shame that he didnt get to stomp his authority with a trademark attack on one of the last few stages, but it is what it is. Sky really doesnt need him to be that rider when he is gaining time on the competition in time trials and echelons.

P-N is a training race for Bernal. As per your last sentence Sky doesn't need him to be attacking when he can win anyway with smart riding. Save it for the Giro. Even if he is under Sky's guidance it is impressively mature riding for a 22 year old.
Cookster15

Re: Re:

17 Mar 2019 21:42

Cookster15 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Shame that he didnt get to stomp his authority with a trademark attack on one of the last few stages, but it is what it is. Sky really doesnt need him to be that rider when he is gaining time on the competition in time trials and echelons.

P-N is a training race for Bernal. As per your last sentence Sky doesn't need him to be attacking when he can win anyway with smart riding. Save it for the Giro. Even if he is under Sky's guidance it is impressively mature riding for a 22 year old.

Valvpiti was just pointing out that seeing cycling geniuses do their thing is why most of us are fans, and whether they need to, it's nice to see them 'show out'
Singer01

17 Mar 2019 22:03

Cookster15 wrote:

Yeah, he won a load of similar races, isn't he :rolleyes:
This is the biggest win of his career so far, not a damn training race!
User avatar Blanco

Re:

17 Mar 2019 22:04

Escarabajo wrote:Congratulations to Bernal. That was a great win. One for his Palmares.

It was great that he won this race, and he had a great TT, but the win itself wasn't so great...
User avatar Blanco

18 Mar 2019 14:11

Blanco wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:

Yeah, he won a load of similar races, isn't he :rolleyes:
This is the biggest win of his career so far, not a damn training race!

I think what he meant (or at least, this is my opinion) is that he wasn't the protected rider here, he was supposed to be the safety and was supposed to be a domestique. It wasn't a targeted race therefore it becomes a prep race or a training race. Bernal is not close to 100% since he is TRAINING to get there, vs IMO KWAITO who is targeting the earlier rides this year, probably peaking for P-N and maybe the classics.
As for his biggest win, technically yes. It is bigger than Tour of California, Tour de Avenir, many of the 1 day races Bernal has won and obviously bigger than all the mountain bike races or Colombian nationals he has won. I would argue (again, my opinion) that his best performances were at the Tour so far.
TL;DR: biggest WT race win: yes, best WT performance: no, training ride: yes.
User avatar gospina

18 Mar 2019 14:30

Blanco wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:Congratulations to Bernal. That was a great win. One for his Palmares.

It was great that he won this race, and he had a great TT, but the win itself wasn't so great...

Huh? A win is still a win? So, even more impressive that he won then... if it "wasnt so great".

He handled the crosswinds the best with help from Rowe. Put it in a big effort there. Great TT, as you said. Then could just be solid in the mountain stages and just make sure not to lose time, not having to attack at all to gain time. Relying on a very strong team in the last stage to control and not let others get too much space. Sound like the usual Sky tactics to me.

Sure it would have been a "greater win" had he out-climbed everybody on Turini or attacked and won the race like Soler on the last stage. Didnt have to though because he already pretty much had it in the bag. Having won PN is a good stat, no matter how it happened.
Salvarani

18 Mar 2019 15:00

I'm intrigued by Bernal's chances in the Giro. I still think it will be extremely difficult for him to overcome Dumoulin, Roglic, and Simon Yates, all of them probably at their best; but if his ITT at Paris-Nice isn't a mirage, he could make it interesting. An additional difficulty he will have to deal with is Sky's traditional lackluster performances in the Giro. And we can't expect Tao Geoghegan Hart and Sosa to all of a sudden mature into the likes of Poels, etc. All of the above considered, I think even a podium would be just short of a minor miracle.
User avatar AlexNYC

Re:

18 Mar 2019 15:20

AlexNYC wrote:I'm intrigued by Bernal's chances in the Giro. I still think it will be extremely difficult for him to overcome Dumoulin, Roglic, and Simon Yates, all of them probably at their best; but if his ITT at Paris-Nice isn't a mirage, he could make it interesting. An additional difficulty he will have to deal with is Sky's traditional lackluster performances in the Giro. And we can't expect Tao Geoghegan Hart and Sosa to all of a sudden mature into the likes of Poels, etc. All of the above considered, I think even a podium would be just short of a minor miracle.

Disagree. This is how I see the Giro as of now.

1. Roglic
2a Dumoulin
2b Bernal
3 Yates
4. Nibali
5. Whoever
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

18 Mar 2019 15:25

I am not worried about the TT. I am more worried about those very hard mountain stages. Anybody can collapse in any of those days. They look very hard, especially for a 22 year old.

Anybody's guess should not be solely focused on the TT only IMHO.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

18 Mar 2019 15:51

Valv.Piti wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:I'm intrigued by Bernal's chances in the Giro. I still think it will be extremely difficult for him to overcome Dumoulin, Roglic, and Simon Yates, all of them probably at their best; but if his ITT at Paris-Nice isn't a mirage, he could make it interesting. An additional difficulty he will have to deal with is Sky's traditional lackluster performances in the Giro. And we can't expect Tao Geoghegan Hart and Sosa to all of a sudden mature into the likes of Poels, etc. All of the above considered, I think even a podium would be just short of a minor miracle.

Disagree. This is how I see the Giro as of now.

1. Roglic
2a Dumoulin
2b Bernal
3 Yates
4. Nibali
5. Whoever

I'm not sure how you can expect Bernal to be above Yates and just a tad below Dumoulin. Those expectations are not based on reality in my opinion.

This doesn't mean he can't podium, or even win the whole thing for that matter. It just means he shouldn't be a favorite, especially above those three riders.
User avatar AlexNYC

18 Mar 2019 18:03

They are certainly based on reality. I have followed cycling for 15 years now and the only GT-riders I have seen close to his potential has to be Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador. Those riders performed at an incredibly high level early on in GTs at 22 and 23 respectively, If Im not mistaken - Andy 2nd in the Giro and Contador winning the Tour, both in 2007. Contador had some very promising results, including his Paris-Nice win and was therefore a dark horse for a Tour with Vinokourov and Valverde as the favourites on paper, but not much more at the time IMO. Bernal, to this day, has showed more than Contador did when he won the Tour. Schleck's 2nd came more out of the blue even though most knew he was super talented, very reminiscent of Ullrich's 2nd place at the same age in TdF 1996 - 22 years of age. Which is, of course, Bernal's age.

I don't think you are understating him or his talent to the extent that some other posters do with great talent, but still a bit. "Let him grow, he is still youn etc." Bernal's time is already now (as crazy as it is) and yes, he can win the Giro and yes, he is one of the favourites. Im calling it as I see it and at this point, I only see Roglic as a better bet for the overall win at the Giro d' Italia everything considered with Dumoulin at the same level as Bernal.

Edit: I have said this for a while now, so its not like its something heat of the moment hot take after his win yesterday.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing