Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

05 May 2019 10:44

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Nirvana wrote:He was already supposed to go to the Tour after the Giro, I don't think that is going to change much, well he could even be a bit worse than expected if the recover isn't fast enough.

I guess thats the positive side - he will now most likely do the Vuelta and use the Tour as 'training' while being the 4-5th best climber in the race.

He's 22.

How many 22 year olds casually reach top shape in the Vuelta after slaving a Tour?

Vuelta GC will be extremely hard if he rides the Tour. I think his chances of podiuming a GT this year are better in the Tour than the Vuelta. It's not inconceivable that one of Thomas/Froome **** the bed (prolly Thomas) and they keep Bernal up in GC too for tactical leverage etc.

"slaving" ahahahha

in any other team we´d praise his work, but no, he will be slaving there. spare a thought for poor Astanas and Sunwebs and Mitcheltons and Movistars riders who had to slave in GTs to help their teammate win the race in the past seasons too
pastronef

05 May 2019 11:52

pastronef wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Nirvana wrote:He was already supposed to go to the Tour after the Giro, I don't think that is going to change much, well he could even be a bit worse than expected if the recover isn't fast enough.

I guess thats the positive side - he will now most likely do the Vuelta and use the Tour as 'training' while being the 4-5th best climber in the race.

He's 22.

How many 22 year olds casually reach top shape in the Vuelta after slaving a Tour?

Vuelta GC will be extremely hard if he rides the Tour. I think his chances of podiuming a GT this year are better in the Tour than the Vuelta. It's not inconceivable that one of Thomas/Froome **** the bed (prolly Thomas) and they keep Bernal up in GC too for tactical leverage etc.

"slaving" ahahahha

in any other team we´d praise his work, but no, he will be slaving there. spare a thought for poor Astanas and Sunwebs and Mitcheltons and Movistars riders who had to slave in GTs to help their teammate win the race in the past seasons too

The difference is, I can easily see Bernal finishing off the podium in the tour this year while being the strongest rider. It's simply ridiculous a rider of his caliber is number three in the pecking order for the tour.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

05 May 2019 12:33

pastronef wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

He's 22.

"slaving" ahahahha

If Egan Bernal had to waste say 80% of his remaining GT chances of winning a GT to put ride for Adam Yates or Jakob Fuglsang I'd call that slaving too.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

05 May 2019 16:23

He is having too many crashes. Potential may go unfulfilled if it continues
IndianCyclist

16 May 2019 19:16

Bernal is back and breaking David de la Cruz's Strava KOM on the Coll de la Gallina by 56 seconds ten days after his crash!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/egan-bernal-well-on-road-to-recovery-after-breaking-collarbone/
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2019 19:22

luckyboy wrote:Bernal is back and breaking David de la Cruz's Strava KOM on the Coll de la Gallina by 56 seconds ten days after his crash!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/egan-bernal-well-on-road-to-recovery-after-breaking-collarbone/

The Tour just got even more predictable. Great. :(
Cookster15

16 May 2019 20:29

Artetxe opening up for La Vuelta afterwards. That would be great!
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

16 May 2019 21:06

Red Rick wrote:
pastronef wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

He's 22.

"slaving" ahahahha

If Egan Bernal had to waste say 80% of his remaining GT chances of winning a GT to put ride for Adam Yates or Jakob Fuglsang I'd call that slaving too.

Adam Yates and Fuglsang aren't TDF winners though, there's a clear difference.
Singer01

17 May 2019 13:13

For a guy that recently broke his collar bone, the picture in his Instagram story with 2 lovely looking collarbones is gong to fan the flames of the rumour that he got pulled from the giro team because sire Dave big baws got a new sponsor fore the giro started
rick james

Re:

17 May 2019 13:21

rick james wrote:For a guy that recently broke his collar bone, the picture in his Instagram story with 2 lovely looking collarbones is gong to fan the flames of the rumour that he got pulled from the giro team because sire Dave big baws got a new sponsor fore the giro started

What are you on about?
therealthing

17 May 2019 13:25

therealthing wrote:
rick james wrote:For a guy that recently broke his collar bone, the picture in his Instagram story with 2 lovely looking collarbones is gong to fan the flames of the rumour that he got pulled from the giro team because sire Dave big baws got a new sponsor fore the giro started

What are you on about?

Rumours going around that Bernal didn’t break his collar bone and he was pulled from the giro squad to save his legs for the tour

He posted a picture on Instagram and his collarbones look fine

Rumours spread by the nasty guys at the cycling podcast
rick james

17 May 2019 14:03

rick james wrote:
therealthing wrote:

What are you on about?

Rumours going around that Bernal didn’t break his collar bone and he was pulled from the giro squad to save his legs for the tour

He posted a picture on Instagram and his collarbones look fine

Rumours spread by the nasty guys at the cycling podcast

Don't believe that for a second- they have the two strongest GC riders and by far the strongest team. Bernal isn't going to make the difference between winning or losing.
therealthing

13 Jun 2019 17:55

Off to Switzerland, he's a guaranteed jersey at the TDF if he stays upright as well.
MatParker117

Re:

13 Jun 2019 22:21

MatParker117 wrote:Off to Switzerland, he's a guaranteed jersey at the TDF if he stays upright as well.

My guess is it will be a yellow jersey if he manages to stay upright and avoid back luck like Thomas last year. Dead serious can't see why he can't win already now under these circumstances.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

14 Jun 2019 00:43

Valv.Piti wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:Off to Switzerland, he's a guaranteed jersey at the TDF if he stays upright as well.

My guess is it will be a yellow jersey if he manages to stay upright and avoid back luck like Thomas last year. Dead serious can't see why he can't win already now under these circumstances.

I agree, I hope it’s decided on the road as I think he has a big chance now.
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 Jun 2019 01:56

Hes still unproven as the best climber in a GT peloton.

Didnt drop Quintana in PN, wasnt better than A Yates or MAL in Catalunya.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

14 Jun 2019 04:02

REd Rick has summed it up well - Bernal could have got top 5 in the Giro and even a podium with a lot of luck - Then you factor in recovery from his collarbone - He will be suited by finishes at high altittude.
yaco

Re:

14 Jun 2019 06:41

Red Rick wrote:Hes still unproven as the best climber in a GT peloton.

Yeah that's how I view it as well. I suspect he will be a top 3 climber in the race and will finish accordingly but I don't we should be placing the crown on his head already. Especially considering he will probably lose a good minute to Doum and Thomas in the time trial as well
User avatar Midnightfright

Re:

14 Jun 2019 09:13

Red Rick wrote:Hes still unproven as the best climber in a GT peloton.

Those were relatively easy stages. Let's wait for some real mountains. I'm convinced Bernal can win this Tour. I also think he would have won the Giro.
User avatar fauniera

15 Jun 2019 01:01

G better have his form of last year, and if not Bernal will be unleashed.
User avatar Moviefan1203

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing