Log in:  

Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2018 14:51

I indeed would rather see Valverde more focussing on the one day races and just ride one GT: Vuelta.[/quote]

Completely agree. Without the obsession with GTs, especially the TDF, he would probably have even more wins to his name.
User avatar mariposa
Junior Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: 21 Aug 2011 21:42

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2018 16:16

Koronin wrote:Next year I think you give Carapaz have another shot at the Giro. Valverde said he's not going to the Tour next year. He is going after another Vuelta and maybe go to the Giro again. I'm thinking maybe send Carapaz to the Giro again as race leader and send Valverde with him to teach/guide him? Send whoever the Tour and then the Vuelta send Valverde as sole leader with one more shot at trying for the overall or at least podium history. With him I'd again send Carapaz along with Soler and maybe Landa. Landa has said as long as he gets the Tour he's more than happy to race for Valverde at the Vuelta.


I scanned the post, and mentally picked out the bolded as "He is going (When?) After another Vuelta": I thought you had just announced his resignation for him.
User avatar Armchair cyclist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,974
Joined: 22 Mar 2010 17:28
Location: East of England, West of Ireland

Re:

16 Sep 2018 16:20


Caicedo would be a good move for them, he's already been approached elsewhere, Astana I think. I definitely think Ecuador is the coming nation, they've got a decent factory of talent up in the Tulcán area, close to the Colombian border, and riders like Carapaz and Narváez coming through are showing that there's potential there. As well as Caicedo winning the Vuelta a Colombia as an extranjero, which is usually reserved for older journeymen like Sevilla and Rujano, you've got Jefferson Cepeda moving to Europe to ride for Caja Rural, I think they'll turn him pro for 2019 (this is Jefferson Cepeda Hernández, not Jefferson Cepeda Ortíz, which could get confusing given time).

I would be surprised if both Quintana and Landa disappeared, even if they managed to get their hands on somebody like Más as a result; the team is going to have to choose between one or the other to avoid annoying both of them, but Valverde won't be around forever and they need some kind of succession plan rather than becoming a completely headless team seeing as they don't even have a decently durable sprinter or two to pick up some placements and bail them out like they had in 2011.
Last edited by Libertine Seguros on 16 Sep 2018 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,597
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2018 16:22

Armchair cyclist wrote:
Koronin wrote:Next year I think you give Carapaz have another shot at the Giro. Valverde said he's not going to the Tour next year. He is going after another Vuelta and maybe go to the Giro again. I'm thinking maybe send Carapaz to the Giro again as race leader and send Valverde with him to teach/guide him? Send whoever the Tour and then the Vuelta send Valverde as sole leader with one more shot at trying for the overall or at least podium history. With him I'd again send Carapaz along with Soler and maybe Landa. Landa has said as long as he gets the Tour he's more than happy to race for Valverde at the Vuelta.


I scanned the post, and mentally picked out the bolded as "He is going (When?) After another Vuelta": I thought you had just announced his resignation for him.



Next year. He wants one more shot at it next year without the Tour before it.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,469
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

16 Sep 2018 19:20

Laplaz wrote:Who would have thought Carapaz would be the highest placed rider from Movistar in GC in the 3 Grand Tours?



Thing about that is if Pinot finishes the Giro Carapaz ends up 5th in the Giro which is the same as Valverde's 5th here. So that he ended up 4th, I do not put stock in it as any better than Valverde's 5th here.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,469
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

16 Sep 2018 19:56

Koronin wrote:Apparently Valverde said on Spanish TV in an interview yesterday that he is NOT doing the Tour next year and that he's going after the Vuelta next year. He's undecided whether he races the Giro yet, but he's considering it.

Also last fall he said that he didn't want to ride the Tour but then the team forced him to do so we should wait the team presentation to really know what he'll ride.

Anyway the Giro could be very good for him next year with the route rumored, probably even better than 2016 considering that the long multi mountain stage will be the Cuneo-Pinerolo with 60 kms of slight descent/flat after Sestriere and no one will be so crazy to do something on Izoard with 150+ kms to go so will be a large group finish in which no one will lose time and I'm still doubtful about Gavia because Vegni added it to his banned list after the 2014 neutralized descent fiasco. Like I said in the Giro thread with the murito MTT he has also a great shot to complete his GT leader jerseys set in the first stage.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 953
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2018 20:01

Nirvana wrote:
Koronin wrote:Apparently Valverde said on Spanish TV in an interview yesterday that he is NOT doing the Tour next year and that he's going after the Vuelta next year. He's undecided whether he races the Giro yet, but he's considering it.

Also last fall he said that he didn't want to ride the Tour but then the team forced him to do so we should wait the team presentation to really know what he'll ride.

Anyway the Giro could be very good for him next year with the route rumored, probably even better than 2016 considering that the long multi mountain stage will be the Cuneo-Pinerolo with 60 kms of slight descent/flat after Sestriere and no one will be so crazy to do something on Izoard with 150+ kms to go so will be a large group finish in which no one will lose time and I'm still doubtful about Gavia because Vegni added it to his banned list after the 2014 neutralized descent fiasco. Like I said in the Giro thread with the murito MTT he has also a great shot to complete his GT leader jerseys set in the first stage.


I have a feeling he may be more insistent this year, esp if he believes that racing the Tour cost him the Vuelta podium. Plus he's said he wants to go back to the Giro, but the GT he'll skip is the Tour as he won't miss la Vuelta as he loves it too much.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,469
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

16 Sep 2018 21:47

WTF? Mr Unzue basically said they fulfilled their goals with the team title? A team like this should have much higher goals and this title should not be one that "fulfills" the team's goals. If this was a smaller team I could see it fulfilling their goals. Sorry but the only reason this Vuelta isn't a full disaster is Alejandro's 2 stage wins and his green jersey. The team title has nothing to do with the race not being a disaster. When you have 3 riders finish in the top 20 in GC it's likely you have a very good chance of winning the team title.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,469
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2018 23:51

Koronin wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:
Koronin wrote:Next year I think you give Carapaz have another shot at the Giro. Valverde said he's not going to the Tour next year. He is going after another Vuelta and maybe go to the Giro again. I'm thinking maybe send Carapaz to the Giro again as race leader and send Valverde with him to teach/guide him? Send whoever the Tour and then the Vuelta send Valverde as sole leader with one more shot at trying for the overall or at least podium history. With him I'd again send Carapaz along with Soler and maybe Landa. Landa has said as long as he gets the Tour he's more than happy to race for Valverde at the Vuelta.


I scanned the post, and mentally picked out the bolded as "He is going (When?) After another Vuelta": I thought you had just announced his resignation for him.


Next year. He wants one more shot at it next year without the Tour before it.


Is he also not going to push all-out for stage wins in the first week? Yates showed the true method for winning the Vuelta, having learned from his Giro mistakes. The race can be lost in the first week, but to win it you have to survive the 3rd week.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re: Re:

17 Sep 2018 00:14

Leinster wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:
Koronin wrote:Next year I think you give Carapaz have another shot at the Giro. Valverde said he's not going to the Tour next year. He is going after another Vuelta and maybe go to the Giro again. I'm thinking maybe send Carapaz to the Giro again as race leader and send Valverde with him to teach/guide him? Send whoever the Tour and then the Vuelta send Valverde as sole leader with one more shot at trying for the overall or at least podium history. With him I'd again send Carapaz along with Soler and maybe Landa. Landa has said as long as he gets the Tour he's more than happy to race for Valverde at the Vuelta.


I scanned the post, and mentally picked out the bolded as "He is going (When?) After another Vuelta": I thought you had just announced his resignation for him.


Next year. He wants one more shot at it next year without the Tour before it.


Is he also not going to push all-out for stage wins in the first week? Yates showed the true method for winning the Vuelta, having learned from his Giro mistakes. The race can be lost in the first week, but to win it you have to survive the 3rd week.



Who knows. He originally wasn't supposed to be going for the podium in this Vuelta and it seems changed his mind part way through the race.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,469
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

17 Sep 2018 13:47

Maybe its time to get rid of all the Colombians soon. None are really delivering - lets see what Quintana has for 2019 Tour de France. If he doesnt deliver, they should definitely get rid of him and go 100% after Enric Mas and build around him, Carapaz and Soler. Valverde will obviously still be there and Landa, I dont know.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,376
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

17 Sep 2018 14:53

With Movistar i also wonder if the riders don't get to much freedom during their training sessions, especially noticeable with the (decreasing) performances of the Colombians, but also the likes of a Fernandez, Pedrero etc. I don't count Carapaz and Soler in, as it's logical that young riders as such will progress fast. If you read how the trainers of Sky but also Lotto Jumbo hold their riders tight during their preparations ..these teams really benefit from such an approach with the recent progress of a SK, Roglic, Bennett and even a Roosen in the case of Lotto.

Maybe Movistar has less budget now, with the salaries of Valverde, Quintana and Landa and the women's team.
Moviestar
Member
 
Posts: 452
Joined: 31 May 2015 00:39

17 Sep 2018 15:08

Valv.Piti, I'm right there with you on that.

Moviestar, they may but I've heard it referred to as the Spanish way. That was part of why Landa went there, he hated the structure at Sky. With Fernandez his problem last year and this year has been injuries. He needs to stay healthy and see what happens. He also lives in Murcia and actually has moved closer to Valverde so he can train with Valverde more often. Thing is I don't see anything changing there anytime soon. I know Dowsett and Sutherland talked about culture shock when they joined Movistar.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,469
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Breh, DNP-Old, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], JoeD1997, Koronin, The_Beach, Yahoo [Bot] and 44 guests

Back to top