Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Team Movistar-thread

04 Oct 2018 01:18

The problem with Movistar, as I see it, is that they collect riders who can top-10 in a GT but roles are not clearly defined. I remember Delgado, the torch was passed on to BigMig, then Olano, who didn't quite pan out to be the next big thing...

Now it's a lot of chiefs and not many indians. Carapaz? Meh...Haimar comes to mind. Yet he's talked about as a potential leader. Non factor at Il Giro, great placing, lucky him, good for him. Soler? Same thing. With Quintana, Valverde, and Landa, even if he's better than we think he is, he'll never get a true shot with a full team at his service, we'll never know how good he can be.

Landa could have won a Tour. Has been a factor in GTs, but it's Valverde's team and Quintana is the leader, or vice versa, maybe...I'm lost here. I would argue that in a GT picture, he's the best of the three. Where does he fit?

The Sly business model is very different, roles are clear, Eusebio has to wake up to the smell of today's cycling. Piling up talent doesn't cut it.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

04 Oct 2018 04:54

They have to get rid of Betancur and fill his place with a really reliable domestique. Movistar doesn't have many of those even though Soler did some great work this season. With the reduction in team size now, it's even more important to have a good mix of riders. I see no point in having Valverde ride two grand tours per season at this stage of his career and he can still win shorter stage races and classics.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Oct 2018 06:15

Tonton wrote:The Sly business model is very different, roles are clear, Eusebio has to wake up to the smell of today's cycling. Piling up talent doesn't cut it.

Typo or Fraudian slip? :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

04 Oct 2018 09:38

Tonton wrote:Carapaz? Meh...Haimar comes to mind. Yet he's talked about as a potential leader. Non factor at Il Giro, great placing, lucky him, good for him.

Tour d'Italie - Richard Carapaz : "Je vise le maillot rose"
http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tour-d-italie-richard-carapaz-je-vise-le-maillot-rose-78739.html
Tim Booth

04 Oct 2018 12:50

Tonton wrote:The problem with Movistar, as I see it, is that they collect riders who can top-10 in a GT but roles are not clearly defined. I remember Delgado, the torch was passed on to BigMig, then Olano, who didn't quite pan out to be the next big thing...

Now it's a lot of chiefs and not many indians. Carapaz? Meh...Haimar comes to mind. Yet he's talked about as a potential leader. Non factor at Il Giro, great placing, lucky him, good for him. Soler? Same thing. With Quintana, Valverde, and Landa, even if he's better than we think he is, he'll never get a true shot with a full team at his service, we'll never know how good he can be.

Landa could have won a Tour. Has been a factor in GTs, but it's Valverde's team and Quintana is the leader, or vice versa, maybe...I'm lost here. I would argue that in a GT picture, he's the best of the three. Where does he fit?

The Sly business model is very different, roles are clear, Eusebio has to wake up to the smell of today's cycling. Piling up talent doesn't cut it.

I agree with the point made, but I don't necessarily think Soler/Carapaz is a part of the problem. They are young riders, who have barely just had their breakthroughs and they've had fewer opportunities to ride for themselves this year than the big trio.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

04 Oct 2018 23:13

Cance > TheRest wrote:I agree with the point made, but I don't necessarily think Soler/Carapaz is a part of the problem. They are young riders, who have barely just had their breakthroughs and they've had fewer opportunities to ride for themselves this year than the big trio.

...and that's my main point, sorry if I didn't get clear enough, I blame the team. Unzue. He can't achieve synergy, have a plan in which all riders have a clear role. To some extend, I felt the same way about the Dutch team at the RRWC btw. Leadership, i.e. DS issue. Let chips fall out is not leading.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

05 Oct 2018 00:16

Tonton wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:I agree with the point made, but I don't necessarily think Soler/Carapaz is a part of the problem. They are young riders, who have barely just had their breakthroughs and they've had fewer opportunities to ride for themselves this year than the big trio.

...and that's my main point, sorry if I didn't get clear enough, I blame the team. Unzue. He can't achieve synergy, have a plan in which all riders have a clear role. To some extend, I felt the same way about the Dutch team at the RRWC btw. Leadership, i.e. DS issue. Let chips fall out is not leading.

To extenuate that point, at the 2016 Tour I remember Valverde making the comment that he had no clue what his role was or what he was supposed to be doing in that race.

Also as of today we've had 2 of Movistar's DS's say that for next year at the moment the plan is to let Valverde write out his entire calendar (which he can change as he chooses) and that for them their goal for Valverde is that he races where he wants and how he wants to ensure he has the most fun possible while wearing the rainbow jersey. They both said something along the lines of it, next year is his year, we need to ensure he enjoys it as much as possible.
User avatar Koronin

13 Oct 2018 16:27

The team has been a total trainwreck this season, hope it gets better for the next one..
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

13 Oct 2018 17:25

DS Max Sciandri will join the technical staff ( Ex-BMC and British Academy). He formed the likes of Cavendish and Thomas, they hope he can do the same with Soler :D

So now they have 5 DS's with Jaimerena, JL Arrieta, Garcia-Acosta and Lastras
Moviestar

Re:

13 Oct 2018 17:33

Valv.Piti wrote:The team has been a total trainwreck this season, hope it gets better for the next one..

No kidding. There has been no support in so many races. They have got to get something figured out. This race showed a again how really disastrous the season has been for this team. Alejandro had a great year, but the rest of the team only had a few glimmers of being good such as Soler's win at Paris-Nice and his podium in Andalucia. Yet again the team shows how overly reliant they are on Valverde.
User avatar Koronin

13 Oct 2018 17:34

Funny thing is that Valverde's big win wasn't a Movistar win :o
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

13 Oct 2018 17:59

Red Rick wrote:Funny thing is that Valverde's big win wasn't a Movistar win :o

It was Cofidis.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2018 18:43

Rollthedice wrote:

It was Cofidis.

With Movistar as subsponsor ;)
Moviestar

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2018 21:14

Rollthedice wrote:

It was Cofidis.

LOL, although you're right as they are the major sponsor for the Spanish National team.

I think in reality it was a bunch of riders from a bunch of teams that figured out how to work well together for one singular goal.
User avatar Koronin

14 Oct 2018 01:45

I like the Verona signing, I think he can evolve a bit more and be a very decent mountain domestique. He is also pretty tall, I guess he really is more of a climber oriented allrounder. I like him.

Roelandts and Mas are good fillers, I have liked Mas for a while. Nice domestiques and I guess they hope Roelandts can do a bit in the cobbles altho they probably dont really care that much.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Previous

Return to Professional road racing