Log in:  

Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

28 Oct 2018 21:39

tobydawq wrote:So, Valverde almost just won the Vuelta.

Still, the thought of him going for GC in a GT is apparently absurd for some. The guy has 17 top 10s from 20 GTs and has never been outside top 20 so should we not stop pretending that he wouldn't go for GC in whichever GT he chooses to participate?

In the Vuelta there was only one real mountain stage and was very short but he cracked, and he was suffering already the day before in a long unipuerto, he should up his game a lot to be a contender in 200+ kms with 5.000 meters of climbing of the Giro, if he'll crack on the Gavia with 100 kms to go he'll likely lose minutes and minutes.

We need to verify that but the Vuelta could be an hint that his age is starting to hamper him on the mountains, considering that long and hard mountain stages were always his weakness it's plausible that could be the first thing in which he suffers from the advancing age.

Anyway I'm sure that he'll start with GC in his mind as always but I don't think he could survive in the high positions with the route rumored for the Giro.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 1,216
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

29 Oct 2018 12:19

The rumored 3 TTs shift the scales in Dumoulin's favour. Landa and Valverde should go to the Giro only for Stage wins and as preparatory for the coming GTs. Wining would be nigh impossible if D & G ride
IndianCyclist
Member
 
Posts: 1,849
Joined: 12 Nov 2010 12:26
Location: Bangalore, India

29 Oct 2018 16:36

Has there been comment made from Sunweb or Tom on what his GT programme will be for next year? 3 TTs would be hard for him to turn down surely
User avatar Midnightfright
Member
 
Posts: 1,306
Joined: 06 Mar 2011 12:32
Location: Edinburgh

Re:

29 Oct 2018 18:28

IndianCyclist wrote:The rumored 3 TTs shift the scales in Dumoulin's favour. Landa and Valverde should go to the Giro only for Stage wins and as preparatory for the coming GTs. Wining would be nigh impossible if D & G ride



As long as the TTs are not all pan flat and not technical Valverde would be their best hope of doing anything GC wise at the Giro. He also wants to race the Giro because he does want to go back to it as he said he enjoyed the first one he went to. Plus he wants to race two GTs and doesn't want to go to the Tour. Thus that leaves the Giro as the other option to go along with la Vuelta.
As for Landa it doesn't seem he knows what he wants to do other than he wants to go to the Tour.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,692
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Team Movistar-thread

30 Oct 2018 00:58

The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,213
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Team Movistar-thread

30 Oct 2018 11:05

Tonton wrote:The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.

I'm guessing Spanish GT hopes will rapidly shift to Mas now, but Mas seems good at all things GT so making a route that's good for both isn't mutually exclusive.

Routes for Valverde would be super lame though, cause it means avoiding hard stages.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 16,101
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Team Movistar-thread

30 Oct 2018 16:38

Red Rick wrote:
Tonton wrote:The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.

I'm guessing Spanish GT hopes will rapidly shift to Mas now, but Mas seems good at all things GT so making a route that's good for both isn't mutually exclusive.

[b]Routes for Valverde would be super lame though, cause it means avoiding hard stages.


Anybody know how to clean coffee off a laptop screen? :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheresmybrakes
Member
 
Posts: 391
Joined: 11 Sep 2016 17:29

08 Dec 2018 22:14

Movistar's team presentation is Tuesday Dec 18th. The following day is la Vuelta's route presentation. It seems Movistar and la Vuelta have set this up to have these presentation on back to back days to ensure at least several of Movistar's riders (if not the entire team) will be at the Vuelta's presentation.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,692
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Team Movistar-thread

09 Dec 2018 13:23

Red Rick wrote:
Tonton wrote:The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.

I'm guessing Spanish GT hopes will rapidly shift to Mas now, but Mas seems good at all things GT so making a route that's good for both isn't mutually exclusive.

Routes for Valverde would be super lame though, cause it means avoiding hard stages.

Yes..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,102
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52


17 Dec 2018 20:50

I hope It's fake news.

But.. If it means Valverde is fired, I'm quite happy.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,102
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

17 Dec 2018 20:56

Meanwhile today Movistar renewed sponsorship for a few more years.
They also revealed a big factor in the sponsor committing for so long was Valverde telling them he plans to race at least until 2021.

This includes sponsorship of the women's team.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,345
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

Re:

17 Dec 2018 21:00

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:I hope It's fake news.

But.. If it means Valverde is fired, I'm quite happy.


I think Landa could be the one who would leave, there were already rumors that Vinokourov would like to sign him + with the growing number of Basks with Astana i wouldn't be surprised to see him going to Astana.
Moviestar
Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: 31 May 2015 00:39

Re:

17 Dec 2018 21:24

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:I hope It's fake news.

But.. If it means Valverde is fired, I'm quite happy.



More likely both Landa and Quintana are leaving. Mr Unzue has said several times that Valverde can race for them for as long as he wants to. Valverde isn't leaving that team, he's the face of team.

Rumors are the Quintana is unhappy and wanted to leave this year but couldn't find anyone who would buy out his contract. There are the reports that Landa may go back to Astana. Valverde, however, is not going anywhere and will be with Movistar for as long as he wants to race. The team just needs him to tell them how many years he wants for his next contract.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,692
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

17 Dec 2018 21:39

Koronin wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:I hope It's fake news.

But.. If it means Valverde is fired, I'm quite happy.



More likely both Landa and Quintana are leaving. Mr Unzue has said several times that Valverde can race for them for as long as he wants to. Valverde isn't leaving that team, he's the face of team.

Rumors are the Quintana is unhappy and wanted to leave this year but couldn't find anyone who would buy out his contract. There are the reports that Landa may go back to Astana. Valverde, however, is not going anywhere and will be with Movistar for as long as he wants to race. The team just needs him to tell them how many years he wants for his next contract.

Ups..
Probably you are right.
I just hoped I would be able to become a New Movistar Fan (you know, Team Sky is over).
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,102
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Re:

17 Dec 2018 21:48

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:I hope It's fake news.

But.. If it means Valverde is fired, I'm quite happy.



More likely both Landa and Quintana are leaving. Mr Unzue has said several times that Valverde can race for them for as long as he wants to. Valverde isn't leaving that team, he's the face of team.

Rumors are the Quintana is unhappy and wanted to leave this year but couldn't find anyone who would buy out his contract. There are the reports that Landa may go back to Astana. Valverde, however, is not going anywhere and will be with Movistar for as long as he wants to race. The team just needs him to tell them how many years he wants for his next contract.

Ups..
Probably you are right.
I just hoped I would be able to become a New Movistar Fan (you know, Team Sky is over).



I'm not sure he'll end up there anyway. Of the young riders Enric Mas is the one that Mr Unzue has said he hopes to eventually sign. Also when Bernal signed with Sky Movistar had very little interest in him at that time. So they may look at him, but wouldn't say it's a definite that they'll sign him. Plus they have two young riders on their own team they are looking at for the future as well with Soler and Carapaz.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,692
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

17 Dec 2018 21:52

Moviestar wrote:https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/news/analysis-movistar-in-pole-position-for-bernal-sweepstakes_482270


and plan B after running both Landa and Quintana out of town if Brailsford finds another sponsor is?
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,236
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

Re: Re:

17 Dec 2018 21:59

roundabout wrote:
Moviestar wrote:https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/news/analysis-movistar-in-pole-position-for-bernal-sweepstakes_482270


and plan B after running both Landa and Quintana out of town if Brailsford finds another sponsor is?



Soler and Carapaz, plus they'll still have Valverde. He wants another contract and they've already said he'll have a contract for as long as he wants it. Also don't be so sure they'd go after Bernal if Sky folds. They want Enric Mas.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,692
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

17 Dec 2018 22:01

I do not see any of them making a GT podium, so again, what is plan B for GTs after getting rid of riders who can get at least a podium?
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,236
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

Re:

17 Dec 2018 22:14

roundabout wrote:I do not see any of them making a GT podium, so again, what is plan B for GTs after getting rid of riders who can get at least a podium?



Signing Enric Mas would solve that. Valverde may still be able to podium at la Vuelta. Solar is still improving and the only leadership opportunities he's had were last year at Paris-Nice and the Dauphine. He needs to learn how to do get two peaks in a year. He was only given the Dauphine after he won Paris-Nice.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,692
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Asero831, deneb, staubsauger and 40 guests

Back to top