Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

28 Oct 2018 21:39

tobydawq wrote:So, Valverde almost just won the Vuelta.

Still, the thought of him going for GC in a GT is apparently absurd for some. The guy has 17 top 10s from 20 GTs and has never been outside top 20 so should we not stop pretending that he wouldn't go for GC in whichever GT he chooses to participate?

In the Vuelta there was only one real mountain stage and was very short but he cracked, and he was suffering already the day before in a long unipuerto, he should up his game a lot to be a contender in 200+ kms with 5.000 meters of climbing of the Giro, if he'll crack on the Gavia with 100 kms to go he'll likely lose minutes and minutes.

We need to verify that but the Vuelta could be an hint that his age is starting to hamper him on the mountains, considering that long and hard mountain stages were always his weakness it's plausible that could be the first thing in which he suffers from the advancing age.

Anyway I'm sure that he'll start with GC in his mind as always but I don't think he could survive in the high positions with the route rumored for the Giro.
Nirvana

29 Oct 2018 12:19

The rumored 3 TTs shift the scales in Dumoulin's favour. Landa and Valverde should go to the Giro only for Stage wins and as preparatory for the coming GTs. Wining would be nigh impossible if D & G ride
IndianCyclist

29 Oct 2018 16:36

Has there been comment made from Sunweb or Tom on what his GT programme will be for next year? 3 TTs would be hard for him to turn down surely
User avatar Midnightfright

Re:

29 Oct 2018 18:28

IndianCyclist wrote:The rumored 3 TTs shift the scales in Dumoulin's favour. Landa and Valverde should go to the Giro only for Stage wins and as preparatory for the coming GTs. Wining would be nigh impossible if D & G ride

As long as the TTs are not all pan flat and not technical Valverde would be their best hope of doing anything GC wise at the Giro. He also wants to race the Giro because he does want to go back to it as he said he enjoyed the first one he went to. Plus he wants to race two GTs and doesn't want to go to the Tour. Thus that leaves the Giro as the other option to go along with la Vuelta.
As for Landa it doesn't seem he knows what he wants to do other than he wants to go to the Tour.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Team Movistar-thread

30 Oct 2018 00:58

The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

30 Oct 2018 11:05

Tonton wrote:The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.

I'm guessing Spanish GT hopes will rapidly shift to Mas now, but Mas seems good at all things GT so making a route that's good for both isn't mutually exclusive.

Routes for Valverde would be super lame though, cause it means avoiding hard stages.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

30 Oct 2018 16:38

Red Rick wrote:
Tonton wrote:The Vuelta will be pro-Valverde, like the TdF will be (is) pro-French. Hence my posts about route ratings vs. what people want to see. It almost worked in '18, The Don was in it, it didn't pan out, but the excitement was there.

I'm guessing Spanish GT hopes will rapidly shift to Mas now, but Mas seems good at all things GT so making a route that's good for both isn't mutually exclusive.

[b]Routes for Valverde would be super lame though, cause it means avoiding hard stages.

Anybody know how to clean coffee off a laptop screen? :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheresmybrakes

08 Dec 2018 22:14

Movistar's team presentation is Tuesday Dec 18th. The following day is la Vuelta's route presentation. It seems Movistar and la Vuelta have set this up to have these presentation on back to back days to ensure at least several of Movistar's riders (if not the entire team) will be at the Vuelta's presentation.
User avatar Koronin

Yesterday 13:23

Red Rick wrote:

Routes for Valverde would be super lame though, cause it means avoiding hard stages.

Yes..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Previous

Return to Professional road racing