Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

07 Dec 2018 16:16

Zinoviev Letter wrote:If Thomas and Froome are both protected and Bernal goes to the Giro, it will be interesting to see who they deploy as the last man in the train. Poels is obviously good enough on his day but equally obviously can’t be relied on day after day. The rest of the wonderkids wouldn’t appear to be seasoned enough for that role yet.

Not yet but I wouldn't off thought Bernal would be capable at this point last year
User avatar Midnightfright

Re: Re:

07 Dec 2018 17:51

Midnightfright wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:If Thomas and Froome are both protected and Bernal goes to the Giro, it will be interesting to see who they deploy as the last man in the train. Poels is obviously good enough on his day but equally obviously can’t be relied on day after day. The rest of the wonderkids wouldn’t appear to be seasoned enough for that role yet.

Not yet but I wouldn't off thought Bernal would be capable at this point last year

Bernal is a freak. I find it hard to see Sky putting one of the other kids in as the final man in the Tour train for their first GT. It’s just too high risk, particularly if they are going with only six doms. Poels being the strongest of their established climbing domestiques is already a bit risky as the stage when he is most needed could easily be a stage where he is in the grupetto. If they have a kid as a top train guy and he blows up before the second week is over, they could end up having to rely on their fifth strongest climber to control GC rivals.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

07 Dec 2018 17:57

Poels was 6th in the Vuelta last year. Obviously he's good enough for the role and this year he was heavily affected by his PN crash in the Giro and the tour was overall just completely weird he was there in the first place.

I was thinking Poels might have been plan B for the Giro regardless, but he can go either way.

Plan B stagehunting isn't too bad for the Giro anyway, cause if Bernal doesn't podium Sky don't get a podium in that race.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

07 Dec 2018 20:13

Red Rick wrote:Poels was 6th in the Vuelta last year. Obviously he's good enough for the role and this year he was heavily affected by his PN crash in the Giro and the tour was overall just completely weird he was there in the first place.

I was thinking Poels might have been plan B for the Giro regardless, but he can go either way.

Plan B stagehunting isn't too bad for the Giro anyway, cause if Bernal doesn't podium Sky don't get a podium in that race.

I dont know if they'll send him to the Giro as a potential stagehunter, they already have Moscon and Sosa for that, so I assume that Poels will pobably ride the Tour as a domestique and the Vuelta as a protected rider.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

07 Dec 2018 20:16

Mayomaniac wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Poels was 6th in the Vuelta last year. Obviously he's good enough for the role and this year he was heavily affected by his PN crash in the Giro and the tour was overall just completely weird he was there in the first place.

I dont know if they'll send him to the Giro as a potential stagehunter, they already have Moscon and Sosa for that, so I assume that Poels will pobably ride the Tour as a domestique and the Vuelta as a protected rider.

That could be the idea.

I'd assume Froome will ride the Vuelta anyway.

Real question for me is if they want Bernal to ride the Vuelta as well.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

07 Dec 2018 20:17

its too early to start talking about 2019 team Sky grand tour teams :surprised: :lol:
rick james

07 Dec 2018 20:30

It's the off season...that means everything for the next season can be talked about. :D :D
User avatar Koronin

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

07 Dec 2018 23:00

The Sky Tour team will probably be the same as this year unless anyone is sick or injured (maybe Moscon could be replaced with another rouleur). Saving Bernal for the Tour is the safest policy. Probably still too young for two GTs a year, so Froome and Poels for Vuelta? The Giro would be wide open. I could see Sosa making a debut in either the Giro or the Vuelta. Perhaps Geoghegan Hart, Sivakov and Moscon among a young Giro team. Thomas or Froome not riding the Giro changes things a lot for Sky.
dastott

08 Dec 2018 04:54

The Dawg wont be going to the Vuelta.....i'm hoping its all in for the 2019 TDF.....2020 a Giro-Vuelta double
rick james

Re:

08 Dec 2018 10:06

rick james wrote:The Dawg wont be going to the Vuelta.....i'm hoping its all in for the 2019 TDF.....2020 a Giro-Vuelta double

You don't think the allure of being a lone record holder would be huge if he wins next year?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

08 Dec 2018 10:58

rick james wrote:The Dawg wont be going to the Vuelta.....i'm hoping its all in for the 2019 TDF.....2020 a Giro-Vuelta double

I think he will definitely do the Vuelta as it's one of his favorite races but I don't think he will train with the double in mind. It's all Tour next season. Froome generally does two GTs per season.
movingtarget
Veteran

08 Dec 2018 13:11

Red Rick wrote:

You don't think the allure of being a lone record holder would be huge if he wins next year?

Wins what? Lone record holder of what?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

08 Dec 2018 13:22

LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

A 6th Tour de France in 2020.
User avatar Squire

08 Dec 2018 14:04

Squire wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

No, unwritten rule, 5 and no more
rick james

08 Dec 2018 18:52

rick james wrote:
Squire wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

No, unwritten rule, 5 and no more

Do you really think that if he'll win the Tour next year he'll never return to give a shot to a sixth one?
Everyone of the five times winners has tried to go for a sixth, probably Merckx would have even succeded if wasn't for the french fan punching him in the stomach on Puy de Dome.
Nirvana

08 Dec 2018 19:00

Armstrong won seven times.
User avatar tobydawq

08 Dec 2018 20:16

Squire wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Oh yeah, I was thinking about 2019
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

08 Dec 2018 20:32

tobydawq wrote:Armstrong won seven times.

Let’s not go there :D
rick james

Re:

08 Dec 2018 20:34

tobydawq wrote:Armstrong won seven times.

7 in a row at that.
User avatar Koronin

Yesterday 13:17

Yes, off-season.
Beacuse of ridiculous Tdf 2018 route (lack of ITT) GT should focus on Giro and Vuelta. And as I said his 2nd TdF palmary is less important than completing all GT wins. And of course CF 5th victory at TdF should be main target of Team Sky. So:
- Giro: Thomas, Bernal as protected co-leader;
- TdF: CF, Bernal, Poels, Kwiatek, Moscon and others of A-team;
- Vuelta, as a 2nd/3rd class GT: Thomas, Sosa, maybe CF if he wants to ride just for fun and kick some asses.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing