Register

Team Sky Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

14 Feb 2019 12:51

Gigs_98 wrote:If this actually happens I wonder what the reception of british fans will be. Like will they still root for the team when it's focused around Colombians because if not I'd find it very funny if the british cycling hype was killed by the monster they've built themselves

I would imagine it depends who stays in the team and who goes. There are a lot of diehard Froome fans so maybe they would stay with the team he is in whatever it is called. It would potentially still be a very strong team with the current riders they have on their books if they transfer over to the new team. Once Froome goes, i would imagine most of his fans would go to. Do you still see Contadors fans supporting Trek now he has retired? They've moved on to whoever they fancy or they had numerous favourite riders/teams, just a dislike/hate of SKY. Who knows, maybe some of the anti SKY fans will move over to the new team when SKY finish, doubt it though. :D
wheresmybrakes

14 Feb 2019 13:45

wheresmybrakes wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:If this actually happens I wonder what the reception of british fans will be. Like will they still root for the team when it's focused around Colombians because if not I'd find it very funny if the british cycling hype was killed by the monster they've built themselves

I would imagine it depends who stays in the team and who goes. There are a lot of diehard Froome fans so maybe they would stay with the team he is in whatever it is called. It would potentially still be a very strong team with the current riders they have on their books if they transfer over to the new team. Once Froome goes, i would imagine most of his fans would go to. Do you still see Contadors fans supporting Trek now he has retired? They've moved on to whoever they fancy or they had numerous favourite riders/teams, just a dislike/hate of SKY. Who knows, maybe some of the anti SKY fans will move over to the new team when SKY finish, doubt it though. :D

Well sky haters don't dislike sky because of the sponsor but because of their dominance. If the budget stays the same I don't think things will change.
The unique thing with team sky is that other than with teams like trek people are actually rooting for or against Sky. Like even when contador was riding for trek I didn't feel like more people were rooting for someone like Mollema than before. The Contador fans were still very much Contador fans and not Trek fans.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

14 Feb 2019 14:33

It would be nice SKy with less budget.. and maybe some money for another British Pro team, or in any other country.
But it is important for cycling the new team would have less budget. No good Sosa sign, and no good they can even have a washing machine for every rider. (and I am not joking). All those things that aparenthy are not important ut need big money at the end count and can make a difference.
User avatar Taxus4a

14 Feb 2019 16:35

googled
In the framework of the Tour Colombia UCI 2.1, the President of the Republic Iván Duque met with the General Manager of Team Sky, Dave Brailsford and the director of Coldeportes, Ernesto Lucena, to study the proposal to turn the country into a new sponsor of the powerful British squad through the state petroleum company, ECOPETROL.
In that meeting, the Colombian president received the economic proposal from Brailsford, which comprises of; (Figures, times, and types of sponsorship). The current budget with which Team Sky works, amounts to figures close to 40 million euros per season, a figure that far exceeds the investment of the missing Team Colombia that reached just 3,000 million Colombian pesos (approximately 1 million euros ) season.
https://www.revistamundociclistico.com/2019/el-gobierno-de-colombia-recibe-propuesta-de-dave-brailsford-para-patrocinar-el-team-sky-desde-2020/
update
looks like a 'No'
https://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2019/02/14/5c65a5a5ca4741ac1b8b45a6.html
Tim Booth

Previous

Return to Professional road racing