Log in:  

Register

The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Apr 2019 16:18

Lost more than a minute today. He's clearly past his peak :eek:
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,293
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

11 Apr 2019 16:34

Well the early break held on :P he was just in the pack
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,223
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

12 Apr 2019 01:06

jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,498
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

12 Apr 2019 15:39

Three racedays without a victory. He is past his prime. Never rated this guy.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 719
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

15 Apr 2019 19:07

Apparently his team did have an invite for Paris Roubaix and MVP said no to PR, after which ASO withdrew the invite?

Anyone know if that's true?
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,718
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

Re:

15 Apr 2019 21:22

PremierAndrew wrote:Apparently his team did have an invite for Paris Roubaix and MVP said no to PR, after which ASO withdrew the invite?

Anyone know if that's true?


I thought this was common knowledge. They got an invite but had already planned out Mathieu's spring season and PR just wasn't a part of it with the Ardennes Classics in mind. Shame when you see his RVV form, but Mathieu seems Ok with it though as he'd rather show off his national jersey in his country. He's just gonna have to win it next year :p
Mavic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Feb 2019 15:10

17 Apr 2019 15:25

What a massively impressive win today. Worst position for the sprint and dropped them all and even sat up, looked back wondering where the rest were. Attacked, responded, bridged, did it all today and still won so easily. Seems like he can do it all. Cobbles, Ardennes... The next Gilbert? :p
Mavic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Feb 2019 15:10

17 Apr 2019 15:53

He's incomparable. Also I noticed he prefers to create a selection and then win the sprint, rather then go for risky solo's. Which is logical.

But the confidence in his sprint is insane. You'd think with Alaphilippe and Matthews you might second guess yourself but no... And they had no chance to his initial acceleration
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,223
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

17 Apr 2019 16:11

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He's incomparable. Also I noticed he prefers to create a selection and then win the sprint, rather then go for risky solo's. Which is logical.

But the confidence in his sprint is insane. You'd think with Alaphilippe and Matthews you might second guess yourself but no... And they had no chance to his initial acceleration


Couple of more wins and they will stop cooperate with him so gladly.

Anyway I hope he will focus more and more to the road cycling. He is insane talent.
Keram
Junior Member
 
Posts: 221
Joined: 01 Oct 2015 12:31

Re: Re:

17 Apr 2019 16:29

Keram wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He's incomparable. Also I noticed he prefers to create a selection and then win the sprint, rather then go for risky solo's. Which is logical.

But the confidence in his sprint is insane. You'd think with Alaphilippe and Matthews you might second guess yourself but no... And they had no chance to his initial acceleration


Couple of more wins and they will stop cooperate with him so gladly.

Anyway I hope he will focus more and more to the road cycling. He is insane talent.


Doesn't seem like it has to be mutually exclusive. Mathieu came off a whole CX season which he completely dominated and is still beating the top riders in the peloton and racing at this insane level. Maybe it's not sustainable on the long-run but Mathieu likes the variety. He tends to get bored easily and out of every cycling discipline I think he dislikes road racing the most simply because he gets bored during the first hundred km's where there's no action. Especially nowadays riders seem to want to wait till the very end before there's any type of fireworks. This explains why he often attacks early to try and force a shifting.

Many people disapprove of his attacking style, and I'm sure his team managers would rather him conserve his energies. However they realize that if they try to "contain" him he will get bored and lose interest. So they just let him do his thing and it seems to be working fine up to this point. I'm convinced he would have probably been able to go with Bettiol in de Ronde when he went and post likely beat him in the sprint... Imagine that for a second, and put all of his other results this spring season next to each other. It's insane.
Mavic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Feb 2019 15:10

17 Apr 2019 18:28

Congrats MVDP!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,498
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

17 Apr 2019 18:51

Imagine if he had a strong team around him. Scary. If he keeps developing, I’m not sure there will be race he can’t win.
Son of Amsterhammer
Member
 
Posts: 656
Joined: 29 Jun 2015 18:58

17 Apr 2019 18:52

I can't think of any rider ever, that was like him. I mean, the same type of rider. And for these types of races, probably the biggest Dutch talent in decades, if not ever.
Last edited by Logic-is-your-friend on 17 Apr 2019 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend
Member
 
Posts: 1,706
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 12:17

17 Apr 2019 19:07

He is just amazing.
Perhaps even number 1 favourite for Amstel.
KZD
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2019 11:49

17 Apr 2019 19:47

I think his performance today puts him ahead of Alaphilippe for Amstel.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,873
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

17 Apr 2019 23:46

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
User avatar Ripper
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,643
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 03:41
Location: It's a surprise!

Re: The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Yesterday 01:19

Ripper wrote:Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!


I know, right? He's so amazing you can't help but burst into joyous laughter. :)
Mavic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Feb 2019 15:10

Re:

Yesterday 02:26

Koronin wrote:I think his performance today puts him ahead of Alaphilippe for Amstel.

I'm not sure about that. 250km,with way more high intensity climbing than in BP, is a different ball game.

Amstel is like the Sanremo of hilly classics; so difficult to control and win, makes it very hard, especially for a rider with a team as weak as Poel.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,459
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: Re:

Yesterday 02:40

DFA123 wrote:
Koronin wrote:I think his performance today puts him ahead of Alaphilippe for Amstel.

I'm not sure about that. 250km,with way more high intensity climbing than in BP, is a different ball game.

Amstel is like the Sanremo of hilly classics; so difficult to control and win, makes it very hard, especially for a rider with a team as weak as Poel.


That's what they said about Mathieu as well when he won DDV and did extremely well in GW: "Ronde van Vlaanderen is a whole different ball game due to *insert x reason*". We all know what happened in de Ronde, with better luck (or judgement) he could have even won it. We'll see if this holds true for Amstel as well. All I'm saying is, he has proven that he can be up there with the very best riders in the most difficult races and win, or at least come very close.
Mavic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Feb 2019 15:10

Yesterday 05:46

I'm curious if he can take on the longer climbs. In CX, he prefers the short, explosive climbs.
But with his confidence sky-high, it wouldn't surprise me if he did well again.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,635
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Captain Sensible, Dazed and Confused, Flamin, lemon cheese cake, Libertine Seguros, Majestic-12 [Bot], Red Rick, roundabout, vino2001 and 40 guests

Back to top