Register

The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2018 17:26

Yes, a shame and the rest are out of form! Another joke. Of course they are out of form becuase no one cares about winning a Grand Tour in Spain. FFS!!!![/quote]

Porte. Nibali. Aru. Quintana. They look on good form to you?[/quote]

Valverde, Mas, Kruisjik, Lopez all look out of form to you?

Cherry picking.

Tsk tsk.[/quote]

Valverde, looked great, every bit as strong as Yates until his usual problems above 2000m

Mas, Lopez....very good young riders, might win a GC one day, couple of years behind Yates in terms of development still but finished within 2 minutes of him over 3 weeks.

Kruiswijk, strong rider, looked good at times, heavy 3 week TDF in his legs

So I stand by my view, every race has to have a winner. Nothing extra terrestrial about Yates manner of victory in this GT
brownbobby

15 Sep 2018 18:47

Of course. Always an easy explanation when a Brit wins. Never dope or anything untoward.
User avatar veganrob

15 Sep 2018 19:04

I think he's a lot more believable than Froome and Thomas - there's been no donkey to racehorse (or 6ft cobbles rider to best climber in the world) transformation, instead there was early success (mountain stage in the Tour de l'Avenir age 19 and another two age 21), gradual, incremental improvements in major stage races from 2011 to the present day, and TT performances that are at least believable for a climber.

He's probably not clean but he's not rubbing our noses in it either.
User avatar vedrafjord

Re:

15 Sep 2018 19:29

veganrob wrote:Of course. Always an easy explanation when a Brit wins. Never dope or anything untoward.

Did I say he wasn't doping? In a sport where most presume doping is the norm, you've got to do more than Yates did in this Vuelta to earn the tag extra terrestrial
brownbobby

15 Sep 2018 19:39

Yes, he's doping but let's get real, if he wasn't he would've finished hours behind Aru.

At least he looks like he's riding a bicycle instead of cruising on an e-bike.
DanielSong39

15 Sep 2018 21:32

brownbobby wrote:
Valverde, looked great, every bit as strong as Yates until his usual problems above 2000m

Mas, Lopez....very good young riders, might win a GC one day, couple of years behind Yates in terms of development still but finished within 2 minutes of him over 3 weeks.

So I stand by my view, every race has to have a winner. Nothing extra terrestrial about Yates manner of victory in this GT

I would agree with you if it was down to form. but it isn't, it is down to the PED program. Yates didn't need to be extra terrestrial compared to others. But it was an impressive victory as it was ridden fast.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 00:28

brownbobby wrote:
veganrob wrote:Of course. Always an easy explanation when a Brit wins. Never dope or anything untoward.

Did I say he wasn't doping? In a sport where most presume doping is the norm, you've got to do more than Yates did in this Vuelta to earn the tag extra terrestrial

Who said he was extra terrestrial? Why are you always moving the goal posts or avoiding to answer simple questions.
User avatar veganrob

16 Sep 2018 01:40

Benotti69 wrote:
brownbobby wrote:

I would agree with you if it was down to form. but it isn't, it is down to the PED program. Yates didn't need to be extra terrestrial compared to others. But it was an impressive victory as it was ridden fast.

Except Valverde said today it wasn't the altitude. He said he was empty and had nothing more to give. So I'd say his form is still off. Yates looked on form.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

16 Sep 2018 05:15

vedrafjord wrote:I think he's a lot more believable than Froome and Thomas - there's been no donkey to racehorse (or 6ft cobbles rider to best climber in the world) transformation, instead there was early success (mountain stage in the Tour de l'Avenir age 19 and another two age 21), gradual, incremental improvements in major stage races from 2011 to the present day, and TT performances that are at least believable for a climber.

Agree with this.

The most unbelievable performance by Yates so far was the first Giro (short) TT. That was really surprising.

Everything else fits pretty coherently into his development narrative. But, still plenty of good reasons to be suss....
User avatar The Hegelian

16 Sep 2018 06:10

veganrob wrote:
brownbobby wrote:

Who said he was extra terrestrial? Why are you always moving the goal posts or avoiding to answer simple questions.

My first post in this little sub thread was a direct response to a post on Yates stage 19 performance. The OP used the term 'ET'.

Forgive me, I did my best to give my opinion as an answer to the questions posed by Benotti, your post wasn't really a question though was it?

Hope that answers at least those simple questions for you
brownbobby

Re:

16 Sep 2018 08:53

vedrafjord wrote:I think he's a lot more believable than Froome and Thomas - there's been no donkey to racehorse (or 6ft cobbles rider to best climber in the world) transformation, instead there was early success (mountain stage in the Tour de l'Avenir age 19 and another two age 21), gradual, incremental improvements in major stage races from 2011 to the present day, and TT performances that are at least believable for a climber.

Yes.

Plus he races with panache and his team don't strangle the life out of it. I expect he will get much less of a hard time than other more er radically transformed riders.

Be interesting to see how Brailsfraud tries to claim credit for it...
Winterfold

16 Sep 2018 09:33

Well Yates came through and was funded by the BC road academy pretty much the same as Thomas and Rowe etc on the same path designed by Ellingworth and under Brailsfords direction.
He's coached by Chris Newton who Brailsford managed as the BC Men's Endurance Coach and who then went onto being BC Women's Road Coach.
It would be pretty obvious to most that without Manchester Velodrome and Brailsford settinf up the road side in Manchester, Simon Yates would have had to follow the path of his brother.
I would give Chris Newton the credit for what we are seeing with Yates the last few years, but that's built on what Brailsford set up in many ways for Chris Newton to become an BC Accredited Road Coach in the first place.
samhocking

Re: The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

16 Sep 2018 11:53

I'm curious to know the philosophical reasons behind the split between the "Sheriff" Phil Anderson and "Whitey" at Michelton Scott.
Maybe the "Yatesy's" protested an unoriginal nickname. Who knows?!
User avatar the delgados

Re:

16 Sep 2018 13:03

samhocking wrote:Well Yates came through and was funded by the BC road academy pretty much the same as Thomas and Rowe etc on the same path designed by Ellingworth and under Brailsfords direction.
He's coached by Chris Newton who Brailsford managed as the BC Men's Endurance Coach and who then went onto being BC Women's Road Coach.
It would be pretty obvious to most that without Manchester Velodrome and Brailsford settinf up the road side in Manchester, Simon Yates would have had to follow the path of his brother.
I would give Chris Newton the credit for what we are seeing with Yates the last few years, but that's built on what Brailsford set up in many ways for Chris Newton to become an BC Accredited Road Coach in the first place.

And sacks fulls of PEDs.

Manchester Velodrome, home of HGH.

:lol:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 13:05

Koronin wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
brownbobby wrote:

Except Valverde said today it wasn't the altitude. He said he was empty and had nothing more to give. So I'd say his form is still off. Yates looked on form.

I would take anything Piti says with a pinch of salt. Maybe the news that WADA are still trying to release the Fuentes names took its toll. Maybe he is too old with his program to match others. Maybe he is not taking the new PEDs like Fignon refused to do. Who knows with cyclists. But form is the last thing i think off in the sport today.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

16 Sep 2018 14:46

Benotti69 wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Benotti69 wrote:
brownbobby wrote:

I would take anything Piti says with a pinch of salt. Maybe the news that WADA are still trying to release the Fuentes names took its toll. Maybe he is too old with his program to match others. Maybe he is not taking the new PEDs like Fignon refused to do. Who knows with cyclists. But form is the last thing i think off in the sport today.

He'd been asked something about the thing with Operation Puerto and the Spanish courts releasing the blood bags. His response was, does this mean we can find end this thing and get it over with? They point blank asked him if he was worried. He said, "Why should I be worried, I've already done my time for Operation Puerto there is nothing more they can do to me." Then said there's nothing more to know. Sounds to me like it doesn't concern him what they may release. I doubt that matters to him. Heck when he was in the middle of fighting the UCI and WADA he won a Vuelta.
User avatar Koronin

16 Sep 2018 17:35

the delgados wrote:I'm curious to know the philosophical reasons behind the split between the "Sheriff" Phil Anderson and "Whitey" at Michelton Scott.

you mean Neil Stephens?

I think Chaves´ form and 2018 have something to do with it.

Stephens was Chaves´ mentor, and directed him in his major races, they speak in Spanish, he took care of his development.
there must have been some kind of disagreement between the team and Chaves´ side
pastronef

16 Sep 2018 23:59

pastronef wrote:
the delgados wrote:I'm curious to know the philosophical reasons behind the split between the "Sheriff" Phil Anderson and "Whitey" at Michelton Scott.

you mean Neil Stephens?

Stephens was Chaves´ mentor, and directed him in his major races, they speak in Spanish, he took care of his development.
there must have been some kind of disagreement between the team and Chaves´ side

Sorry. Thanks for correcting my mistake.
User avatar the delgados

17 Sep 2018 03:23

the delgados wrote:I'm curious to know the philosophical reasons behind the split between the "Sheriff" Phil Anderson and "Whitey" at Michelton Scott. Maybe the "Yatesy's" protested an unoriginal nickname. Who knows?!

Maybe because Whitey felt like he got thrown under the Orica Bus ?
ClassicomanoLuigi

17 Sep 2018 21:01

pastronef wrote:

you mean Neil Stephens?

I thought it was something to do with Kant or Locke or a Monty Python reference ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic