Register

The Deceuninck - Quickstep Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Jan 2019 22:55

I guess in reality Jungels can go to the Giro as their GC rider simply because it's not like the team has many of those. Plus you can ride the Giro for yourself and then go to the Tour as a domestique and be helpful. Although you can be assured Quickstep will have other goals besides GC for the the Giro and the Tour.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

13 Jan 2019 23:56

Koronin wrote:I guess in reality Jungels can go to the Giro as their GC rider simply because it's not like the team has many of those. Plus you can ride the Giro for yourself and then go to the Tour as a domestique and be helpful. Although you can be assured Quickstep will have other goals besides GC for the the Giro and the Tour.

Yeah, but you cant be in form for a classics campaign in April, the Giro in May and the Tour in July. And from what I heard Jungels is planning on classics and Giro but no Tour this year.
User avatar Akuryo

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2019 00:02

Akuryo wrote:
Koronin wrote:I guess in reality Jungels can go to the Giro as their GC rider simply because it's not like the team has many of those. Plus you can ride the Giro for yourself and then go to the Tour as a domestique and be helpful. Although you can be assured Quickstep will have other goals besides GC for the the Giro and the Tour.

Yeah, but you cant be in form for a classics campaign in April, the Giro in May and the Tour in July. And from what I heard Jungels is planning on classics and Giro but no Tour this year.

Ask Valverde about that. He had a nice Spring campaign in 2016 (including winning Fleche Wallone), won a stage and finished on the podium at the Giro, then went to the Tour to try to help Quintana and finished 6th. Of course he then went to the Vuelta in an attempt to get a top 10 in all 3 GTs in one season and fell just a bit short of that. So yes you can do that, however, it's also more likely that very few riders can actually do that.
User avatar Koronin

14 Jan 2019 00:10

Koronin wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

Ask Valverde about that. He had a nice Spring campaign in 2016 (including winning Fleche Wallone), won a stage and finished on the podium at the Giro, then went to the Tour to try to help Quintana and finished 6th. Of course he then went to the Vuelta in an attempt to get a top 10 in all 3 GTs in one season and fell just a bit short of that. So yes you can do that, however, it's also more likely that very few riders can actually do that.

You know very well that your darling is one of the very few riders who is capable of (kind of) holding his form from February to October.
User avatar Akuryo

14 Jan 2019 00:27

Akuryo wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

You know very well that your darling is one of the very few riders who is capable of (kind of) holding his form from February to October.

Yes, he's an outlier, yet at the same time proves that it is possible even if rare.
User avatar Koronin

Re: The Deceuninck - Quickstep Thread

14 Jan 2019 08:13

Petr Vakoč
Two weeks until the first race with @deceuninck_qst at @vueltasanjuanok #backtothepack
Tim Booth

14 Jan 2019 09:04

Koronin wrote:
Akuryo wrote:

If only Valverde does it, it's probably a bad idea to try yourself
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

15 Jan 2019 17:14

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/enric-mas-i-want-to-win-the-2019-tour-de-france/

Mas has ambition, nice. I don't think he really thinks he can win it though.

Mentions of Viviani going to the tour alongside Alaphilippe, Gilbert and some riders for the train.
I'm curious to see how QS is going to manage their riders this year.
Breh

15 Jan 2019 17:31

How will he win without any support? Podium is possible since a lot of big names go to the Giro this year but you cant defend the yellow jersey with one guy as a helper.
User avatar Akuryo

Re:

15 Jan 2019 17:34

Akuryo wrote:How will he win without any support? Podium is possible since a lot of big names go to the Giro this year but you cant defend the yellow jersey with one guy as a helper.

Maybe you can get it on the final mountain stage?
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

18 Jan 2019 11:25

Akuryo wrote:How will he win without any support? Podium is possible since a lot of big names go to the Giro this year but you cant defend the yellow jersey with one guy as a helper.

Just follow the Sky train? He'll never miss a stop
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

18 Jan 2019 12:12

GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Yeah, Uran tried that way and got 2nd.
User avatar Akuryo

18 Jan 2019 12:16

GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Not as viable if Sky have two contenders. If a rider with no support is a serious threat they will alternately attack once he’s isolated, with remaining train doms sitting up. Taking a free ride on the train is a lot easier if the whole train is guaranteed to be setting up one rider.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

18 Jan 2019 12:26

Akuryo wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Uran was never in the yellow jersey.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.

18 Jan 2019 12:30

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Do you really think Sky would work/chase breaks when Mas has the jersey? They will probably have 4 people in the top 10 at that point and take turns attacking him. And I dont buy that "get the jersey on the last day" bs.
User avatar Akuryo

18 Jan 2019 12:33

Akuryo wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:

Do you really think Sky would work/chase breaks when Mas has the jersey? They will probably have 4 people in the top 10 at that point and take turns attacking him. And I dont by that "get the jersey on the last day" bs.

4 man in the top 10? You're living in a Skytopia, man. Also if that means Sky will race attractively I'm down for that to happen.

18 Jan 2019 12:38

Maybe I'm less optimistic on Mas but I don't think he will really chase the yellow jersey. I expect he will be happy to follow the train and aim for the podium.

Unless he is close going into the final few stages I think he will race conservatively
User avatar Midnightfright

Re:

18 Jan 2019 18:37

Midnightfright wrote:Maybe I'm less optimistic on Mas but I don't think he will really chase the yellow jersey. I expect he will be happy to follow the train and aim for the podium.

Unless he is close going into the final few stages I think he will race conservatively

I think so too, and winning the white jersey.
Salvarani

29 Jan 2019 14:25

I haven't seen a statement about the Keisse incident yet. I wonder if he'll stay in the race? It's rather disappointing that it's a guy with so much experience as he doesn't have the excuse of being a young, immature guy. He's even rooming with Remco and supposed to be showing him the way to do things as a pro.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

29 Jan 2019 15:12

jaylew wrote:I haven't seen a statement about the Keisse incident yet. I wonder if he'll stay in the race? It's rather disappointing that it's a guy with so much experience as he doesn't have the excuse of being a young, immature guy. He's even rooming with Remco and supposed to be showing him the way to do things as a pro.

That's why they picked the one guy at D-QS with Clinic experience as Remco's roommate...
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing