Register

Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

08 Nov 2018 23:07

Squire wrote:Lots of riders confirmed to Wilier Triestina.

Visconti, Etienne Van Empel, Dayer Quintana. Also the Italians Moreno Marchetti, Lorenzo Fortunato, Davide Gabburo and Umberto Marengo.

With Dayer Quintana leaving Movistar, wonder how this plays with the questions on whether Nairo stays or leaves after his contract is up next year?
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

09 Nov 2018 08:11

With Dayer Quintana leaving Movistar, wonder how this plays with the questions on whether Nairo stays or leaves after his contract is up next year?[/quote]

I think that Dayer has been lucky to have stayed as long as he has at Movistar. I was a little surprised that he was given a contract for this last year to be honest. A favour, if that what it was, can only go on if someone is performing at a decent level and I am sure that Nairo is sensible enough to realise that his brother hasn't really justified being given a place for next year. It may be that Dayer will be better suited to a smaller team without his brother.
I'm not sure that you can read too much into the whether Nairo stays or goes question at this stage. I expect that will depend more on exactly how 2019 goes for him and how the team have or have not supported him.
User avatar mariposa

09 Nov 2018 12:46

Dayer did win a race this year. There are more anonymous riders on the team than him. He's a strange case. He has very occasionally done great things, but is mostly nowhere to be seen.
User avatar Squire

09 Nov 2018 18:09

Considering that they had Betancur on their team for so long and used for races that they were not interested in, Dayer as a favor to Nairo was pretty ok to keep Nairo invested in the team. throwing a little bit more money on Dayer wasnt going to break the bank. I think Nairo is pretty much on his way out and 2019 is his last year for the team
IndianCyclist

09 Nov 2018 18:43

The polish journalist that seems connected to CCC and was first to break the news of each signing and each step of the merger, was also pretty adamant that Quintana's agent had approached CCC saying essentially "we're trying to see if we can get him out a year early and Movistar are willing to let him go if we can find a team, any chance you're interested?". CCC said no.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

09 Nov 2018 18:49

GuyIncognito wrote:The polish journalist that seems connected to CCC and was first to break the news of each signing and each step of the merger, was also pretty adamant that Quintana's agent had approached CCC saying essentially "we're trying to see if we can get him out a year early and Movistar are willing to let him go if we can find a team, any chance you're interested?". CCC said no.

:D Source?
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re: Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

09 Nov 2018 20:34

Tom Van Asbroeck from EF to ICA
NorthAmericanScum

Re:

09 Nov 2018 21:38

Squire wrote:Dayer did win a race this year. There are more anonymous riders on the team than him. He's a strange case. He has very occasionally done great things, but is mostly nowhere to be seen.

I think the thing is some of the more anonymous riders are better roulers and helpers for the team leaders (whether it's Valverde or Landa or Soler or Quintana or Amador) even if they don't have some very occasional great rides.

IndianCyclist wrote:Considering that they had Betancur on their team for so long and used for races that they were not interested in, Dayer as a favor to Nairo was pretty ok to keep Nairo invested in the team. throwing a little bit more money on Dayer wasnt going to break the bank. I think Nairo is pretty much on his way out and 2019 is his last year for the team

I really can't figure out why Betancur is still there. I'm with you in thinking Nairo is gone after 2019 and that Dayer being gone this year lends it's self to that being likely.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

09 Nov 2018 23:24

GuyIncognito wrote:The polish journalist that seems connected to CCC and was first to break the news of each signing and each step of the merger, was also pretty adamant that Quintana's agent had approached CCC saying essentially "we're trying to see if we can get him out a year early and Movistar are willing to let him go if we can find a team, any chance you're interested?". CCC said no.

Quintana shares an agent with a lot of Sky riders doesn't he? His old coach is also there as well...
MatParker117

Re: Transfers and Rumours 2018 > 2019

10 Nov 2018 08:15

NorthAmericanScum wrote:Tom Van Asbroeck from EF to ICA

Cool, now they have like seven sprinters that never win.
Der Effe

Re:

10 Nov 2018 11:17

Considering that the former Wilier usually rides a lot in China (and similar low level races) to rack up wins Quintana Jr. could find his confort zone and win more, probably he could also be leader in some european races since the team is essentially continental level plus Visconti.

I wonder what Visconti could do in a team where he'll finally be the undisputed leader, probably is too late (will be 36 next january) to grab his coveted top ten at the Giro but the level he showed this year in Austria could be enough to win something in races where the field is not at very high level or from breaks.
Nirvana

10 Nov 2018 11:30

Sergei Chernetskiy from Astana to Caja Rural. Very good move from Caja if you ask me, didn’t see that one coming.
Der Effe

10 Nov 2018 11:42

For me he was the team leader back in his ISD/Farnese Vini days.

Most China races they do are Mareczko territory, but maybe they know more than I do and Qinghai Lake and Hainan will continue having MTFs next year.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

10 Nov 2018 12:21

roundabout wrote:For me he was the team leader back in his ISD/Farnese Vini days.

Most China races they do are Mareczko territory, but maybe they know more than I do and Qinghai Lake and Hainan will continue having MTFs next year.

Back then yes, but he passed the last five years complaining with Movistar and Bahrain, after the 2016 Giro he cried for a couple of weeks on Twitter and releasing interviews, after this year Giro was reported in local press that he totally broke with the team during the race because he didn't want to help his team mates.
Nirvana

Re:

10 Nov 2018 13:13

Der Effe wrote:Sergei Chernetskiy from Astana to Caja Rural. Very good move from Caja if you ask me, didn’t see that one coming.

Strange for Chernetski to drop to pro-conti after such a solid season.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

10 Nov 2018 13:36

Hernando Bohórquez from Manzana to Astana
User avatar slosada

10 Nov 2018 18:25

Anderis wrote:
Der Effe wrote:Sergei Chernetskiy from Astana to Caja Rural. Very good move from Caja if you ask me, didn’t see that one coming.

Strange for Chernetski to drop to pro-conti after such a solid season.

It's not the most unusual thing at Astana, Rain said that they weren't that interrested in resigning him after winning Burgos and the Arctic Race.
The guy can climb and has a pretty good sprint, fast enough to be guys like Ala in a flat sprint and able to finish top 10 in a really hard TdS, he could do really well on a classic CR calender with many Spanish races and stagehunting at the Vuelta could also be an option, he'll get many chances to ride for himself.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

10 Nov 2018 18:26

mariposa wrote:With Dayer Quintana leaving Movistar, wonder how this plays with the questions on whether Nairo stays or leaves after his contract is up next year?

I think that Dayer has been lucky to have stayed as long as he has at Movistar. I was a little surprised that he was given a contract for this last year to be honest. A favour, if that what it was, can only go on if someone is performing at a decent level and I am sure that Nairo is sensible enough to realise that his brother hasn't really justified being given a place for next year. It may be that Dayer will be better suited to a smaller team without his brother.
I'm not sure that you can read too much into the whether Nairo stays or goes question at this stage. I expect that will depend more on exactly how 2019 goes for him and how the team have or have not supported him.

Sometimes I think these favors are just silly. Dayer would be better off riding without his brother in a smaller team and having more race days exposure. These favors don't help anyone. Maybe the first year but that's it.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

11 Nov 2018 05:59

Sometimes I think these favors are just silly. Dayer would be better off riding without his brother in a smaller team and having more race days exposure. These favors don't help anyone. Maybe the first year but that's it.

The psychological effects of having family right beside u outweighs the cost for top class riders especially when home is very far away. Consider that Sagan, Costa have their brothers with them most of the times.
IndianCyclist

11 Nov 2018 09:45

Also for teams, if you're going to invest in a real big name rider, you want them to feel comfortable and happy with your team, and letting them bring a friend or family member with them is often a way that that happens, especially if they're from somewhere far from the team so are likely to be living away. Prudencio Indurain with Mig, Juraj Sagan with Peter, Noval and Jesús Hernández with Contador, Dayer Quintana with Nairo, and so on. I'm only meaning those where there's a huge difference in level between the siblings/friends, rather than examples like the Izagirres, the Yates, the Herradas or the Janse van Rensburgs.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing