Register

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

14 Jun 2019 23:11

Apparently he missed a corner in the Baloise Belgium Tour's ITT, and went slightly off-road for a bit. Considering he lost the ITT with 3 seconds, maybe that's where he lost it. The ITT i mean. :p
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

14 Jun 2019 23:40

Does anyone know what his race schedule is for the next part of the season. Binckbank Tour seems well suited and the Italian hilly one day autumn classics could be good level of competition and broaden experience without pushing things too far in terms of number of race days
hayneplane

15 Jun 2019 00:19

Belgian nationals, but other than that, nothing has been decided last i heared.

I know the Belgian manager (Verbrughen) was considering taking him to the WC ITT. Personally, i think he should ride the U23 ITT (which he'd have a big chance of winning) once before going to the pro's. And i think something like the Tour of Poland would be good.

----------------------------

Anecdote, told by Marc Sergeant (Lotto DS) to Sporza, about how he messaged Lefevre to congratulate him on Evenepoel's win. There was some back and forth messaging, and Lefevre said to Sergeant "I don't think i've ever seen anything like it". To which Sergeant replied "I haven't seen anything like it".

Re:

15 Jun 2019 07:50

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:
Red Rick wrote:His results so far seem much more TT and rouleur heavy than anything else.

He's a steam engine, and he doesn't care if there is wind, or a mountain, he just powers through. It's the same way he climbs. He rides the exact same way uphill as how he killed Campenaerts on the semi flat. Puts his *** down, and starts pumping. But his results in UAE and Turkey don't lie. He goes uphill fast too. Don't worry. In the UAE tour, he got dropped very early in the climb, one of the first. And then he just set a pace, and passed maybe 80 or so riders (Porte, Nibali, Sivakov, Lambrecht...) and finished within one minute of Valverde & Gaudu, right behind Dumoulin & Kelderman.

They should put a sticker on his back "keep on trucking".
As good as his climbing was, there was a biggggggg difference between it and his "rouleur" abilities in that race. He was arguably the best rouleur of the bunch in UAE. Probably in Argentina as well.

hayneplane wrote:Does anyone know what his race schedule is for the next part of the season. Binckbank Tour seems well suited and the Italian hilly one day autumn classics could be good level of competition and broaden experience without pushing things too far in terms of number of race days
BinckBank Tour? I hope not. IMO Norway + Belgium Tour is plenty in that regard for a rider who wants to develop into a GT contender / winner.

Today's Ardennes course will be interesting... to see how he performs vs. Wellens, but the result won't be terribly indicative of his GT GC potential, IMO.

Looking at the team's program I guess it's not unlikely that Turkey will have been his last race this season that featured a 1st category climb. Unless they somehow paved a dirt road in the Tatra mountains or whatever I don't think the Tour of Poland will bring it, either. Although it's obviously better than the stage races that feuature only hills instead of medium mountains...

Avenir would be good as an aside, IMO. I don't think he races too much, as he's clearly not getting any weaker. Only the Turkey + Romandie combo was a bit much.
18-Valve. (pithy)

15 Jun 2019 13:31

Where Jancouver at? Remco toying with Wellens as if he's an amateur as we speak.
Last edited by DNP-Old on 15 Jun 2019 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar DNP-Old

15 Jun 2019 13:48

Kept so incredibly cool, never a moment's doubt in his mind. Knows he can't follow that initial punch.

15 Jun 2019 14:05

It's so obvious when looking at his team mates, that Evenepoel is an amazing leader and highly respected. Capecchi died twice, dropped off the front and somehow fought his way back up to still put in some extra work. Also his hand gesture towards Evenepoel just before he swung off, was kind of remarkable, as if he was apologising.

Basically the whole team absolutely murdered themself for Remco.
User avatar Flamin

15 Jun 2019 14:23

Nobody who watched this stage will keep denying how special he is, right?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

15 Jun 2019 14:44

SafeBet wrote:Nobody who watched this stage will keep denying how special he is, right?

He won't even come close to the podium of a WT race! (And Turkey doesn't count!)
</Jancouver>

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2019 15:23

SafeBet wrote:Nobody who watched this stage will keep denying how special he is, right?

He won't even come close to the podium of a WT race! (And Turkey doesn't count!)
</Jancouver>

To be fair, in a proper WT race, there are several Wellenses who can outkick him and then cooperate to bury him. But yeah, he's quite amazing. I mean, this was within the range of possible scenarios for his first season, but definitely not what I most expected.
User avatar Squire

15 Jun 2019 15:43

Kid has done nothing but impress all year. Even in Romandie, if only for his ITT.

15 Jun 2019 15:52

Don't know how to rate Campenaerts in hilly road stages though, and Wellens is obviously not in great shape

We need the RaF climbing times.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

15 Jun 2019 16:17

I mean I already thought he was special before, but yeah. He looked close to dropping Campenaert again today imo and he was clearly the strongest man on the road today. Driving his group for 15km or whatever not even considering for a moment asking the others to join in the wind (wouldn't have mattered, but still he just didn't care).

Even if he was 25 I would say that was pretty impressive.
User avatar spalco
Veteran

15 Jun 2019 18:23

It’s too bad that we can’t see him in the TDF this year. The Belgian TT and Roadrace championships are going to be wild.
LesDiablesRouges

Re:

15 Jun 2019 18:28

LesDiablesRouges wrote:It’s too bad that we can’t see him in the TDF this year.

Not sure if serious.

15 Jun 2019 18:39

Yeah hope we will get highlights of the Belgian nats on British Eurosport. I think they often show the French and Spanish road races as highlights after covering the British race live.

In terms of the TDF he is way too raw still in terms of bike handling and peloton riding to come through the first week of a grand tour without being caught up in multiple crashes.
hayneplane

15 Jun 2019 18:41

Not sure if serious.

Would Vuelta be in the cards next year?
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

15 Jun 2019 18:49

Red Rick wrote:

Not sure if serious.

It would be a likely choice as it is the most relaxed Grand Tour and the roads are usually wider and less cluttered with street furniture.

Also the Vuelta is by far the most common GT for riders to debut in at 3 week level probably at least half of riders maiden grand tour would be the Vuelta. By the end of next you could feasibly see him winning a breakaway stage in the Vuelta by going long and distancing his companions as in a group of any size you would not fancy his finishing kick which will always hold back his win tally compared to an Alaphilippe type.
hayneplane

15 Jun 2019 18:52

Should not start a GT tour until year three - I'd even consider waiting to year 4.
yaco

15 Jun 2019 18:55

hayneplane wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Not sure if serious.

It would be a likely choice as it is the most relaxed Grand Tour and the roads are usually wider and less cluttered with street furniture.

Also the Vuelta is by far the most common GT for riders to debut in at 3 week level probably at least half of riders maiden grand tour would be the Vuelta. By the end of next you could feasibly see him winning a breakaway stage in the Vuelta by going long and distancing his companions as in a group of any size you would not fancy his finishing kick which will always hold back his win tally compared to an Alaphilippe type.

Next year is too early probably. I'd like to see him in 1-week races like the Tour of California, Dauphiné or Paris-Nice and 1-day races like Flèche Wallonne. Vuelta or Giro in 2021. TdF in 2022.
GuntherL
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing