Register

The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

04 Jul 2019 20:35

Faserr wrote:Well he is not the GC guy at the moment wo has to starve to death. Icecream after a long training shouldn't be a problem, the body needs that.

Yes and you also have to consider his age. The sport would also be better off if more people would have the MVP approach of having a cheat meal, mainly in the junior and u23 ranks. Way better than someone like Locatelli fatshaming his athletes for having ice cream...
Mayomaniac

Re: Re:

04 Jul 2019 21:30

Mayomaniac wrote:
Faserr wrote:Well he is not the GC guy at the moment wo has to starve to death. Icecream after a long training shouldn't be a problem, the body needs that.

Yes and you also have to consider his age. The sport would also be better off if more people would have the MVP approach of having a cheat meal, mainly in the junior and u23 ranks. Way better than someone like Locatelli fatshaming his athletes for having ice cream...

Just to be clear, I wasn't insinuating that he should be starving himself or that he should be living like a monk. He's stated in the past (as i reported in this topic) that it is a conscious dicision of not losing weight yet, untill he is physically fullgrown and until he needs to go lose weight for GT/GC.
User avatar Logic-is-your-friend

15 Jul 2019 13:04

His schedule according to HLN:

Currently on altitude until july 22nd. Apparently he had some issue adjusting to altitude the first few days, but now it's going well.

July 24-28 Adriatica Ionica (2.1)
August 3rd Clasica San Sebastian (1.UWT)
29th of august - 1st of september: Deutschland Tour (2.HC) (all but confirmed).

I would have liked to see him go to Utah instead of Germany but maybe that was too soon after San Sebastian, and DQS doesn't ride it normally.

15 Jul 2019 15:45

Will be very interesting to see what he does on Tre Cime di Lavaredo at Adriatica Ionica. Not the strongest of fields, so he should be able to light it up there.
User avatar Saint Unix

Re:

15 Jul 2019 16:11

Saint Unix wrote:Will be very interesting to see what he does on Tre Cime di Lavaredo at Adriatica Ionica. Not the strongest of fields, so he should be able to light it up there.

No startlist yet. Only "notable" GC candidate so far is Hermans. Last year Sosa won, it'd be interesting if he starts again.

15 Jul 2019 16:29

It's such minor race I just can't imagine many big names showing up there. Evenepoel should easily be one of the strongest guys there.
User avatar Saint Unix

Re:

15 Jul 2019 17:11

Saint Unix wrote:It's such minor race I just can't imagine many big names showing up there. Evenepoel should easily be one of the strongest guys there.

Last year was the "first" edition, with Sosa, Ciccone, Conti... So difficult to predict.

Re:

16 Jul 2019 07:11

Saint Unix wrote:Will be very interesting to see what he does on Tre Cime di Lavaredo at Adriatica Ionica. Not the strongest of fields, so he should be able to light it up there.

They won't go up to Tre Cime, the finish will at the Lago di Misurina before the start of the hard part.
Nirvana

16 Jul 2019 13:08

Stages and profiles are posted on the previous page.

Saint Unix wrote:It's such minor race I just can't imagine many big names showing up there. Evenepoel should easily be one of the strongest guys there.
Saint Unix wrote:Not the strongest of fields, so he should be able to light it up there.

A few interesting names have been added to the list:

Remco Evenepoel
James Knox
Ben Hermans
Hugh Carthy
Jan Polanc
Joe Dombrowski
Louis Meintjes
Fausto Masnada

Re:

Yesterday 05:30

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:Stages and profiles are posted on the previous page.

Saint Unix wrote:Not the strongest of fields, so he should be able to light it up there.

Remco Evenepoel
James Knox
Ben Hermans
Hugh Carthy
Jan Polanc
Joe Dombrowski
Louis Meintjes
Fausto Masnada

That's a pretty decent field, actually. Carthy and Masnada were awfully strong earlier this year. Hope it's on Eurosport -- I've only seen Remco race once, at the Belgian tour, and only at the end of the last 2 stages.
Bolder

Re:

Yesterday 06:33

Logic-is-your-friend wrote:Stages and profiles are posted on the previous page.

Remco Evenepoel
James Knox
Ben Hermans
Hugh Carthy
Jan Polanc
Joe Dombrowski
Louis Meintjes
Fausto Masnada

Carboni will be the leader for Bardiani, it's one of his big goals. He recently finished 6th on the gc in Occitanie, ahead of Dombrowski and Sivakov.
The field should be decent, I'll be there to watch the MTF.
Mayomaniac

Re: Re:

Yesterday 09:12

Mayomaniac wrote:Carboni will be the leader for Bardiani, it's one of his big goals. He recently finished 6th on the gc in Occitanie, ahead of Dombrowski and Sivakov.
The field should be decent, I'll be there to watch the MTF.

Interesting. He hasn't been added to the startlist on PCS (and frankly, i don't know him too well to judge).

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/adriatica-ionica-race/2019/gc/startlist

Bolder wrote:That's a pretty decent field, actually. Carthy and Masnada were awfully strong earlier this year. Hope it's on Eurosport -- I've only seen Remco race once, at the Belgian tour, and only at the end of the last 2 stages.

As you can see in the link, the startlist is maybe only 10% complete and the field is already decent.

If you haven't seen him race other than the Ardennes stage in the BBT, you can find lots online if you want. The best parts of Remco so far: WC junior RR is on UCI's youtube channel (especially entertaining after the crash). There will be recaps of the stage in the Belgium Tour where he takes the blue jersey (with Campenaerts crashing). The Hammer Climb stage is also on youtube i think and also entertaining.

Previous

Return to Professional road racing