Register

Error: 502 Bad Gateway

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

11 May 2019 16:34

And everyone who's into IT knows that these kind of "hard" errors really stand out in the error logs. So it's not about diagnosing the problem, it's about actually fixing it. It's been months now so I'm not sure what the new owners are thinking about, I guess there's no money to be made in forums nowadays.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

13 May 2019 04:45

After a couple of weeks during which all went fine for me suddenly during the weekend was worse than ever, everytime I tried to open the site I was pulled out after only a minute or so.
Today looks fine again but probably is the low traffic on the server of early morning that helps.
Nirvana

14 May 2019 13:38

I don't think it's related to the gateway problem but when I tried to post from my phone earlier today, it said that the phone's IP address for some reason had been blacklisted. Could that be whitelisted, please?
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

14 May 2019 15:03

tobydawq wrote:I don't think it's related to the gateway problem but when I tried to post from my phone earlier today, it said that the phone's IP address for some reason had been blacklisted. Could that be whitelisted, please?

Do you have a fixed IP? If you have a dynamic IP address it's possibly you were randomly assigned an IP that was previously blacklisted and it's unlikely it will happen again.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

14 May 2019 15:04

The forum booted me for a couple of hours for daring to try and sort that for you tobydawq.

It's possible that you were assigned a dynamic IP by your network that is blacklisted and it will resolve itself when this refreshes. We'd need to know the exact IP that your device was using to try and chase it down (if the forum lets us).
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

14 May 2019 16:37

I had a similar Ip address problem the other day while posting, if it happens again I will make a note of address
del1962
Veteran

15 May 2019 07:44

Thanks Del, that would be useful. Feel free to PM me the IP if you don't want to post it here.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

17 May 2019 14:03

King Boonen wrote:The forum booted me for a couple of hours for daring to try and sort that for you tobydawq.

It's possible that you were assigned a dynamic IP by your network that is blacklisted and it will resolve itself when this refreshes. We'd need to know the exact IP that your device was using to try and chase it down (if the forum lets us).
The new Spamhaus filter being used on the fourm is very, very draconian. I've had to get two IP addresses delisted by Spamhaus - they were black-listed in error - since it came in.

It's a particular pain in the butt if you're out and about and using a public wi-fi (eg a café). It'd be good if there was a way to flag up whether the IP addy is blocked before wasting time writing something and pressing post.
User avatar fmk_RoI

21 May 2019 20:41

Well, a record today of only 5 minutes on the forum, one post and kaboom! And I thought things had improved ... :(
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Don't mention Khashoggi! It’s a collusion witch hoax!
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

22 May 2019 13:47

fmk_RoI wrote:
King Boonen wrote:The forum booted me for a couple of hours for daring to try and sort that for you tobydawq.

The new Spamhaus filter being used on the fourm is very, very draconian. I've had to get two IP addresses delisted by Spamhaus - they were black-listed in error - since it came in.

It's a particular pain in the butt if you're out and about and using a public wi-fi (eg a café). It'd be good if there was a way to flag up whether the IP addy is blocked before wasting time writing something and pressing post.

These are the kins of things that would be useful for any development team to look at. I'm afraid I don't know if that's ever going to happen.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

22 May 2019 20:40

jeez this site's and forums' state is atrocious... wish the community just move to reddit and be done with this ****.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re: Re:

23 May 2019 13:49

King Boonen wrote:These are the kins of things that would be useful for any development team to look at. I'm afraid I don't know if that's ever going to happen.
Appreciate that, it's more said in case any of the dev team are paying attention. It'll also explain if you ever see a post from me that just says ping, testing the IP addy before typing a comment.
User avatar fmk_RoI

23 May 2019 15:14

Again. It has been such an quiet Giro so far. When the first proper stage came so did crash the forum on my end. Why would I even bother to log in coming days when things get even more intense. Surely the forum won't work then either.
User avatar fuiers

Re:

24 May 2019 09:32

glassmoon wrote:jeez this site's and forums' state is atrocious... wish the community just move to reddit and be done with this ****.

Reddit confuses me.

fmk_RoI wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2356787#p2356787</span>]King Boonen[/url] wrote:These are the kins of things that would be useful for any development team to look at. I'm afraid I don't know if that's ever going to happen.
Appreciate that, it's more said in case any of the dev team are paying attention. It'll also explain if you ever see a post from me that just says ping, testing the IP addy before typing a comment.

Yeah I guessed that. Hoping my post might motivate others to post issues.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

24 May 2019 18:24

What can we users do to help this if anything? This thing is going to drive more and more users away and I'd hate to see a tight knit community whither away.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

24 May 2019 21:12

Has there actually been a solution?

I have been on the forum pretty much all afternoon and evening, and not had any pages refuse to open: first time for about 2 months.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

24 May 2019 22:59

Armchair cyclist wrote:Has there actually been a solution?

I have been on the forum pretty much all afternoon and evening, and not had any pages refuse to open: first time for about 2 months.

Perhaps only some of us are being punished for visiting the forum too much, a serious crime. Today I've had the forum die (connection refused) on me about 5-6 times at least.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

25 May 2019 16:10

I've got problems logging into my account for several months now. Actually today is the first time I've been able to post here for a long time! :(
User avatar staubsauger

Previous

Return to About the forum