Register

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

17 Apr 2019 13:41

Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:But theres some nice time trials at least which should be very interesting.

I'm a big fan of stage 9 and an even bigger one of stage 1, I give you that. But time trials alone don't make a good route and as Red Rick has pointed out the first selective climb comes on stage 12. That's insane. We most likely won't have time gaps between gc contenders not created in either uphill sprints or time trials until stage 13.

Yeah I'm not even asking for those crazy 2015 type first week stages. Just gimme something like a unipuerto shortish steepish MTF and a borderline Cat 2/1 descent finish of a selective climb and issalgood

Agree, thats basically the only things this route needs. On the other hand, really analyzing the first 9 days, there's only 2 sprinter stages (not counting stage 2 since its hilly enough to drop the pure sprinters) and stages 6-9 should create a lot of fun racing.

Eshnar, when can we expect you to do your mythical write up?
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Apr 2019 13:57

Yeah no I don't count stage 2 as a non sprinter stage. That's just a sprinter stage with Kittel vaccination
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

17 Apr 2019 14:59

Red Rick wrote:Yeah no I don't count stage 2 as a non sprinter stage. That's just a sprinter stage with Kittel vaccination

not a sprinter stage at all. Unless you count a 50ish men peloton sprint as a sprinter stage.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Re:

17 Apr 2019 15:00

Valv.Piti wrote:Agree, thats basically the only things this route needs. On the other hand, really analyzing the first 9 days, there's only 2 sprinter stages (not counting stage 2 since its hilly enough to drop the pure sprinters) and stages 6-9 should create a lot of fun racing.

yes, and one of those 2 sprinter stages have very good chance to get echelons.
Valv.Piti wrote:Eshnar, when can we expect you to do your mythical write up?

duh :p
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

17 Apr 2019 15:28

Valv Piti: "When?"

Eshnar: "Yes"

Red Rick:

Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

17 Apr 2019 15:48

The question is really how much better an uphill sprint or a reduced bunch sprint are compared to a classic bunch sprint. Cause I don't see any other scenarios happening for stage 2 or 4. And the only thing I can see preventing us from a buch sprint on stage 8 is a massive crash on the descent which is seriously way too tricky and close to the finish for a stage that flat (cause that stage might try as hard as it wants to look hilly, it really isn't. Just take a closer look at the climbs they use). What we are left with are stages 6 and 7 which probably won't end in a (reduced) bunch sprint, but anything other than a peloton with more than 50 riders in it with 10 k to go would massively surprise me, so those stages won't exactly be classics either. And add to that that the two panflat sprinters stages in the 3rd week come right after the rest day, which means we won't be bored in the first week thinking, "at least on Tuesday things are really gonna kick off", we will have to wait two more days in the 2nd week before we finally see some double digit gradients.

I also think we aren't just complaining because this looks like a rather boring route, at least I am also annoyed because not using any hard climbs outside the Alps always seems like such a wasted opportunity. Italy probably has as many great climbs for proper high mountain stages as France, in the Apennines alone, yet the giro hardly ever has decisive mountain stages outside of the Alps.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

17 Apr 2019 15:51

If we're just gonna be lazy as ****, just do repeat of TA GC stages in 1st week of Giro. Job done, off to the pub
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

17 Apr 2019 15:59

Red Rick wrote:Valv Piti: "When?"

Eshnar: "Yes"

:D :D
I mean, I still need the new profiles and I have no idea when they are gonna be published...

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re:

17 Apr 2019 16:21

Valv.Piti wrote:I dont get the horrible first part. I think its decent enough to be honest apart from the two stages in the po valley, but thats standard for the Giro.

Considering the almost unlimited potential for medium mountain/hilly stages in the Apennines, this is really disappointing. I'm surprise to what small degree RCS have used these hills in the last few years. It's almost like they go out of their way avoiding these kind of stages.
OlavEH

Previous

Return to Professional road racing