Register

Pre La Vuelta-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

11 Aug 2018 22:41

Valv.Piti wrote:
Lequack wrote:Are we certain neither Froome or G are going to the Vuelta?

Nope, but I think its most likely that they wont go. I heard rumours about Britain for Thomas and I think it would be overkill for Froome to do La Vuelta, but he is a horrible one day racer, so he might just go since he knows he cant do anything at Worlds and Lombardia

“Horrible” one day racer? He’s never really contested any classics for the win. If he goes to the Worlds it’ll most likely be for the ITT. If he also rides the RR, he could be very useful as a super-duper domestique for G or either of the Yates.
Leinster

Re:

11 Aug 2018 22:54

Although the race organiser would not confirm the news, Thomas looks set to race the Tour of Britain in September. The British rider was originally down to ride the Vuelta a España, but it now looks as though both he and Froome will miss the Spanish race. Froome's post-Tour race plans have not yet been confirmed.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-edges-closer-to-team-sky-deal-set-to-race-tour-of-britain/
So definitely not certain
Tim Booth

12 Aug 2018 01:59

Leinster wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

Nope, but I think its most likely that they wont go. I heard rumours about Britain for Thomas and I think it would be overkill for Froome to do La Vuelta, but he is a horrible one day racer, so he might just go since he knows he cant do anything at Worlds and Lombardia

“Horrible” one day racer? He’s never really contested any classics for the win. If he goes to the Worlds it’ll most likely be for the ITT. If he also rides the RR, he could be very useful as a super-duper domestique for G or either of the Yates.

Pretty sure he went to the Olympics to try to win the RR as well the the ITT and looked pretty bad in the Olympic. Yes he's a bad one day racer. Completely different type of racing than what stage racing is. Now him going for the ITT yes, I can see that. I would think one of the Yates twins would be the best option for them for the RR. Will Froome go to la Vuelta or not, it doesn't seem as likely, but who knows what they'll try.
User avatar Koronin

12 Aug 2018 06:33

Koronin wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

Pretty sure he went to the Olympics to try to win the RR as well the the ITT and looked pretty bad in the Olympic. Yes he's a bad one day racer. Completely different type of racing than what stage racing is. Now him going for the ITT yes, I can see that. I would think one of the Yates twins would be the best option for them for the RR. Will Froome go to la Vuelta or not, it doesn't seem as likely, but who knows what they'll try.

Adam Yates is better than Simon over longer distances but against that he can struggle later in the season.
yaco

12 Aug 2018 07:17

Koronin wrote:Pretty sure he went to the Olympics to try to win the RR as well the the ITT and looked pretty bad in the Olympic. Yes he's a bad one day racer. Completely different type of racing than what stage racing is. Now him going for the ITT yes, I can see that. I would think one of the Yates twins would be the best option for them for the RR. Will Froome go to la Vuelta or not, it doesn't seem as likely, but who knows what they'll try.

He outsprinted Dan Martin (who has a decent record in one day races) for 12th. There were at least 132 cyclists at the start line that day who wished they were as bad at one-day racing.

I can't see him doing the Vuelta after the Tour AND Giro, I suspect his primary focus will be being 100% for next year's Tour. But he has something to offer the GB team in the Worlds, and I think from his (and Sky's) perspective, the only question is what's the best way to get him to the Worlds in best shape.
Leinster

12 Aug 2018 07:33

What happens with Ben O'Connor? Is there a chance to see him in the Vuelta?
YavorD

12 Aug 2018 07:59

Leinster wrote:
Koronin wrote:Pretty sure he went to the Olympics to try to win the RR as well the the ITT and looked pretty bad in the Olympic. Yes he's a bad one day racer. Completely different type of racing than what stage racing is. Now him going for the ITT yes, I can see that. I would think one of the Yates twins would be the best option for them for the RR. Will Froome go to la Vuelta or not, it doesn't seem as likely, but who knows what they'll try.

He outsprinted Dan Martin (who has a decent record in one day races) for 12th. There were at least 132 cyclists at the start line that day who wished they were as bad at one-day racing.

I can't see him doing the Vuelta after the Tour AND Giro, I suspect his primary focus will be being 100% for next year's Tour. But he has something to offer the GB team in the Worlds, and I think from his (and Sky's) perspective, the only question is what's the best way to get him to the Worlds in best shape.

One swallow does not make a summer. Or in other words, one good result does not make Froome a good one day racer. In the last 4 years he rode 4 one day races except the mentioned Olympics. And there is a reason why! His best result was 41st at the RideLondon Classic in 2016.
User avatar Akuryo

12 Aug 2018 08:13

Froome is a horrible one day racer relatively to his ability where he is a worldbeater in GTs. I remember a few editions of LBL where he just was completely off the pace and then proceeded to win Romandie. Froome was in very good shape in the Olympics, but he really couldn't do anything on the last climb to Vista Chinesa.

I can't remember such a good rider having such a poor (nonexistent) one day palmarés.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

12 Aug 2018 10:32

YavorD wrote:What happens with Ben O'Connor? Is there a chance to see him in the Vuelta?

He rode almost all of the Giro. (DNF on stage 19 to Bardonecchia). He is a young guy (22) so is a balance if 2 GT in one year will be good for him or not. Depends on him I guess and what the team think is best for his development.

Has ridden both Wallonie (DNF) and Poland (25th) recently, which I guess he kinda soft-pedaled. Who knows, he might be going to Vuelta and a top 10 on GC the aim maybe. We´ll see
Salvarani

12 Aug 2018 23:45

Looks like Lotto NL Jumbo is going to have Kuss make his GT debut at la Vuelta afterall: https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/news/kuss-set-to-make-grand-tour-debut-at-2018-vuelta-says-lotto-ds_474545
User avatar Koronin

13 Aug 2018 02:50

Seems a good idea, He is not very young and is in tremendous form it seems. The Vuelta, with its profusion of steep climbs, should be the GT that suits him most. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.
dastott

13 Aug 2018 11:38

Salvarani wrote:
YavorD wrote:What happens with Ben O'Connor? Is there a chance to see him in the Vuelta?

He rode almost all of the Giro. (DNF on stage 19 to Bardonecchia). He is a young guy (22) so is a balance if 2 GT in one year will be good for him or not. Depends on him I guess and what the team think is best for his development.

Has ridden both Wallonie (DNF) and Poland (25th) recently, which I guess he kinda soft-pedaled. Who knows, he might be going to Vuelta and a top 10 on GC the aim maybe. We´ll see

O’Connor only started cycling at 18 and the Giro was his first GT. Di Data are probably better off letting him focus on worlds and Lombardia. Don’t burn him out too soon.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 11:57

Adam Yates joining brother Simon at the Vuelta.
User avatar claude cat

13 Aug 2018 12:07

42x16ss wrote:
Salvarani wrote:

O’Connor only started cycling at 18 and the Giro was his first GT. Di Data are probably better off letting him focus on worlds and Lombardia. Don’t burn him out too soon.

Agree 100% - You don't burn out a second year pro by burdening them with two GT's in a year.

Interesting to see what role A.Yates plays at the Vuelta with Simon as the designated leader - MS willhave an interesting time.
yaco

Re:

13 Aug 2018 12:20

Valv.Piti wrote:Froome is a horrible one day racer relatively to his ability where he is a worldbeater in GTs. I remember a few editions of LBL where he just was completely off the pace and then proceeded to win Romandie. Froome was in very good shape in the Olympics, but he really couldn't do anything on the last climb to Vista Chinesa.

I can't remember such a good rider having such a poor (nonexistent) one day palmarés.

I also remember on Quebec edition where he tried to attack on the final climb and then was passed easily by freakin Gesink
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

13 Aug 2018 14:31

claude cat wrote:Adam Yates joining brother Simon at the Vuelta.

I have great hopes for A.Yates. If he is at the level he had before the crash in Catalonia, I doubt that the leadership is already handed. It's true that he wasn't well on the Tour but for me that is another reason to improve on the Vuelta.
User avatar jfazendeiro

13 Aug 2018 14:43

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Froome is a horrible one day racer relatively to his ability where he is a worldbeater in GTs. I remember a few editions of LBL where he just was completely off the pace and then proceeded to win Romandie. Froome was in very good shape in the Olympics, but he really couldn't do anything on the last climb to Vista Chinesa.

I also remember on Quebec edition where he tried to attack on the final climb and then was passed easily by freakin Gesink

it will be a strong British team and I think Froome could be used to launch a late attack as he simply doesn't have the kick of some of the other climbers. Like Porte he is a bit one paced. He will probably go off the front while Yates and maybe Thomas are kept in reserve. Gesink on his day is pretty good on the hilly courses. Uran should also do well on this course. I can't see Froome riding the better climber/sprinters off his wheel on the last climb especially not after the busy season he has had already.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Aug 2018 20:19

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

Lost in Rio without the train in a group behind at some point he engaged the eggbeater mode but was going nowhere. Really can't see Froome doing anything worth mentioning in WCRR.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

14 Aug 2018 02:40

jfazendeiro wrote:
claude cat wrote:Adam Yates joining brother Simon at the Vuelta.

I have great hopes for A.Yates. If he is at the level he had before the crash in Catalonia, I doubt that the leadership is already handed. It's true that he wasn't well on the Tour but for me that is another reason to improve on the Vuelta.

I'm still not sure which of the two brother is the better GC rider TBH. Perhaps they are the same.
User avatar claude cat

Re: Pre La Vuelta-thread

15 Aug 2018 11:43

Line-up Lotto Soudal: Sander Armée, Tiesj Benoot, Thomas De Gendt, Bjorg Lambrecht, Tomasz Marczyński, Maxime Monfort, Tosh Van der Sande and Jelle Wallays.
http://lottosoudal.be/en/news/line-vuelta-2018
Tim Booth

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing