Register

14th Binck Banck Tour , 13-19 August (2.UWT)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Aug 2018 19:13

Why such a boring route? This race usually has some good stages but this year is just meh.
User avatar Koronin

11 Aug 2018 19:34

I had to check which one had the horrible route of having queen stage first, then series of flat stages and ITT as the last one. It was 2007.
User avatar Finn84

Re:

11 Aug 2018 19:46

Koronin wrote:Why such a boring route? This race usually has some good stages but this year is just meh.

Dutch sponsors that don't care for Belgium.

As usual, Dutch organizers ruin most races they get their grubby hands on. How many boring Grand Tour starts have we had because they just had to start in this boring country (when it comes to cycling terrain).

Once the contract with Geraardsbergen runs out you'll see nothing but flat stages and probably a TTT to ruin things even more.

I want a real Tour of the Benelux with 4 stages in Belgium, two stages in Luxembourg and one stage in the Netherlands (a prologue or something).
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Aug 2018 19:58

El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:Why such a boring route? This race usually has some good stages but this year is just meh.

As usual, Dutch organizers ruin most races they get their grubby hands on. How many boring Grand Tour starts have we had because they just had to start in this boring country (when it comes to cycling terrain).

Once the contract with Geraardsbergen runs out you'll see nothing but flat stages and probably a TTT to ruin things even more.

I want a real Tour of the Benelux with 4 stages in Belgium, two stages in Luxembourg and one stage in the Netherlands (a prologue or something).

I'm all for your idea of a nice stage race.
User avatar Koronin

11 Aug 2018 20:15

El Pistolero wrote:

Even you have to admit that the Amstel has been a very good race the last two years.
User avatar tobydawq

11 Aug 2018 20:30

tobydawq wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:

Even you have to admit that the Amstel has been a very good race the last two years.

Yes, but they never put a stage like that in the Eneco Tour (or whatever it's called these days), so that doesn't really matter sadly. It's also the only interesting terrain in The Netherlands, unless we take the weather into account.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

11 Aug 2018 21:55

It's funny seeing El Pisti going full anti-Dutch again when the race organizer (head of organisation) is in fact not Dutch. It's a Belgian :D
Rob Discart
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

11 Aug 2018 22:31

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:It's funny seeing El Pisti going full anti-Dutch again when the race organizer (head of organisation) is in fact not Dutch. It's a Belgian :D
Rob Discart

So it's the Belgians who want to make the Dutch look bad.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

Re:

11 Aug 2018 23:51

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:It's funny seeing El Pisti going full anti-Dutch again when the race organizer (head of organisation) is in fact not Dutch. It's a Belgian :D
Rob Discart

Sponsor is Dutch.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 18:07

Fun fact! Following riders participated in the European Championships Road Race today:

Zdenek Stybar

Dylan Van Baarle

Owain Doull
Christopher Lawless
Kristoffer Halvorsen

Greg Van Avermaet

Victor De La Parte

Magnus Cort

Borus Bozic
Luka Pibernik
Matej Mohoric
Ramunas Navardauskas

Gediminas Bagdonas
Nico Denz

Ben Swift

Jasper Stuyven
Mads Pedersen

Davide Cimolai
Tobias Ludvigsson

Rick Zabel
Viacheslav Kuznetsov

Scott Thwaites

Dries Van Gestel

Xandro Meurisse

Lukas Spengler
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 18:27

El Pistolero wrote:
Rob Discart

Sponsor is Dutch.

The sponsor just funds the race, they have 0 to say about where the races finish. That's all Discart's organisation (Golazo) decision

No talking out of this one Pisti
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 19:12

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

As if.
You know he's going to insist black is white, white is black, and get himself run over at the next crosswalk
User avatar GuyIncognito

12 Aug 2018 19:36

Why is Van Aert not starting this race?
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

12 Aug 2018 19:40

Ricco' wrote:Why is Van Aert not starting this race?

Perhaps he doesn't want to ride too much before the cross season. He did just ride and win the Tour of Denmark and before that he rode the Tour of Austria. And today's race was a big goal.

I would also have liked to see him, though.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

12 Aug 2018 19:44

Ricco' wrote:Why is Van Aert not starting this race?

He will only do Schaals Sels (1.1) and a altitude camp and then back to cyclo cross.
Derry

12 Aug 2018 20:54

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:
Rob Discart

Sponsor is Dutch.

The sponsor just funds the race, they have 0 to say about where the races finish. That's all Discart's organisation (Golazo) decision

I hope you don't actually believe that. People are much more loyal to money than they are to their nation. Money decides everything. That's why a country like Saudi Arabia can fund terrorism, attack neighboring countries and violate human rights on a daily basis with the full backing of the Western World (besides Canada I guess, all the other Western countries are pathetic slaves to money). Iran, on the other hand, just needs to let out a fart and the entire Western World is calling for a Holy Crusade.

Companies don't spend millions of euro's to then not care what their money is spent on.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 21:26

El Pistolero wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:
Rob Discart

Sponsor is Dutch.

I hope you don't actually believe that. People are much more loyal to money than they are to their nation. Money decides everything. That's why a country like Saudi Arabia can fund terrorism, attack neighboring countries and violate human rights on a daily basis with the full backing of the Western World (besides Canada I guess, all the other Western countries are pathetic slaves to money). Iran, on the other hand, just needs to let out a fart and the entire Western World is calling for a Holy Crusade.

Companies don't spend millions of euro's to then not care what their money is spent on.

Uh oh, Moving back to the subject.
The cities pay for a finish and have some say in the route and other things.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

12 Aug 2018 21:28

El Pistolero wrote:

Well, going by area, a real Tour of the Benelux would spend a lot more time in the Netherlands than Belgium, and I can't see how a race that would be there to pay token acknowledgment to the existence of the Netherlands would really be a Tour of the Benelux.

I do, however, think they need to use Luxembourg a bit, and take more advantage of the more interesting available terrain, most of which is in Belgium. They could at least start by making the Limburg stages half-interesting rather than ruining everything by going Sittard way.

1x Luxembourg hilly-intermediate stage
1x Ardennes stage (preferably using climbs that aren't the same ones used in the Ardennes week classics)
1x Vlaamse Ardennen stage (obviously needing to use climbs we all know about but preferably using less well-trodden ones as the focal climbs)
1x Zeeland echelon-baiting stage
1x Limburg Dutch stage, preferably with no Bemelerberg and finishing somewhere like Kerkrade, Heerlen or Vaals
1x transitional flat stage
1x ITT

The last two can alternate between which one is in Belgium and which one is in the Netherlands.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 22:07

Could be a decent race tomorrow, weather is unstable. possible wind and thunderstorms. On the flip side if no storms pass through the race area it will be a sunny and probably boring stage.

Terpstra was reconning the stage today in the car to see where the exposed sections are.
User avatar gerundium

13 Aug 2018 06:05

"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing