Register

Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

11 Aug 2018 21:53

What a guy.

Hopefully he can do this kinda climbing outside the US as well. There's been many amazing performances by young americans on American soil that never really got a continuation in Europe.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

11 Aug 2018 21:55

What a beast!! :surprised: :eek:

Sepp for the Vuelta please...
pablohidalgo7

11 Aug 2018 21:58

Amazing ride today and this week. I'm hoping it will eventually translate to his racing in Europe.
User avatar Koronin

11 Aug 2018 22:05

My question is what happened in races like Tour of the Alps and Cali. I understand performing poorly in the first couple of races, but these races are later in the season and doesn't have super strong depth. You can see in Dauphine that he slowly got better, and then, BOOM. Just not winning, but just humiliating all the field from the bottom on two big climbs in a row.

I love his style and who doesn't love when the yellow jersey just says screw it and goes from the bottom Pantani-style?
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

11 Aug 2018 22:07

I hear he has been racing at the professional level only two years, with this being his first year as a world-tour neo pro, so if he is a genuine talent (and it looks like he might be) then this is the kind of progression that might be expected. He does have great form climbing. We'll see how it goes from here. Nice win today, though.
User avatar JosephK

11 Aug 2018 22:09

Love the fact that when he first attacked today it he was just riding at the front and then it looked like he just went "Dum-De-Dum-De-Duuuum… hang on; I'm actually dropping them!"
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

11 Aug 2018 22:13

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:What a guy.

Hopefully he can do this kinda climbing outside the US as well. There's been many amazing performances by young americans on American soil that never really got a continuation in Europe.

I totally agree with your comment.
btw., I expected more from Powless and McNulty on this Tour.
Go on Sepp, this was just so much fun to watch!
User avatar Martin

Re:

11 Aug 2018 22:14

RedheadDane wrote:Love the fact that when he first attacked today it he was just riding at the front and then it looked like he just went "Dum-De-Dum-De-Duuuum… hang on; I'm actually dropping them!"

LOL, but that does look exactly like what happened.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

11 Aug 2018 22:15

Valv.Piti wrote:My question is what happened in races like Tour of the Alps and Cali. I understand performing poorly in the first couple of races, but these races are later in the season and doesn't have super strong depth. You can see in Dauphine that he slowly got better, and then, BOOM. Just not winning, but just humiliating all the field from the bottom on two big climbs in a row.

I love his style and who doesn't love when the yellow jersey just says screw it and goes from the bottom Pantani-style?

He said that he was only helping teammates and it was hard for him to adjust in new team, he started eating healthier etc. It's similar to last year when he had proper winter training camp with Rally for the first time in career and started to improve form in the second part of the season. You just have to basically follow his strava to know his form :D Also he rode really good in Italian races last season so he should be able to adjust to European racing. What's more he may still have much potential because he really started riding on the road in 2016 and earlier MTB was more like his hobby. Even when he was moving to Rally he didn't know if cycling is something that he wants to do and fully commit to it.
roniek

11 Aug 2018 22:16

How to climb like Sep Kuss:

Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

11 Aug 2018 22:55

WOOHOO! Nice climb young man!
jmdirt

11 Aug 2018 23:00

nice to see a young American go fast, Lotto-Jumbo is making giant leaps this year

53 kms solo to stage win and GC lead 2 days ago, with 2 BMC and 3 EF-Cannondale chasing

I had to laugh at this tweet (the name says it all)

@cycling_troll

Hi @georgenbennett nice to see that someone of your team "does a Landis".
pastronef

12 Aug 2018 01:04

pablohidalgo7 wrote:What a beast!! :surprised: :eek:

Lotto said before season both Kuss and Powless would not ride GT this year.
woodburn

12 Aug 2018 02:11

What a ride. I know that it was a limited field, but what a ride!

I know he took up cycling late, but how has this guy never won a race before?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 09:08

To put Sepp's ride into some perspective here are some ascent times on Snowbird courtesy @ammattipyoraily

User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

12 Aug 2018 09:25

Rollthedice wrote:To put Sepp's ride into some perspective here are some ascent times on Snowbird courtesy @ammattipyoraily

Apparently there was a strong tailwind all along the climb, so that helped the time.
PS: Chris Horner went on to win the Vuelta that year as well.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

12 Aug 2018 09:51

Martin wrote:

It's quite hard for McNulty to show himself in a race he is not actually participating in :p . Although, watch out for him in roughly 10 days or so at l'Avenir.

LottoNL, like Sunweb previously, have recruited well and now have a great team. Roglic, Kruijswijk and Dylan are obvious leaders, but younger guys like Tolhoek, Roosen, Kuss, Powless are all starting to show good things, plus they have recruited Vingegaard and Hofstede for next season.
JoeD1997

12 Aug 2018 10:21

JoeD1997 wrote:
Martin wrote:

It's quite hard for McNulty to show himself in a race he is not actually participating in :p . Although, watch out for him in roughly 10 days or so at l'Avenir.

Technicalities!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Aug 2018 11:27

Impressed. Not an elite field, IMHO, but you do need legit legs and the right mindset to ride like that.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

12 Aug 2018 21:24

woodburn wrote:
pablohidalgo7 wrote:What a beast!! :surprised: :eek:

Lotto said before season both Kuss and Powless would not ride GT this year.

They've confirmed him for the Vuelta.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/news/kuss-set-to-make-grand-tour-debut-at-2018-vuelta-says-lotto-ds_474545
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Next

Return to Professional road racing