Register

Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Oct 2018 20:41

Flamin wrote:Obviously I'm not going to complain when the top favourites attack with 50k to go, but I really didn't see the 'great race' that many on here saw. From the moment Pinot and Nibali rode away, the race was already over and it would be a contest between them. Sure, Roglic and Bernal came back in the descent, but they were dropped uphill so the same was going to happen again on Civiglio. Furthermore, the chasing group's action was lame (from spectator view) though textbook stuff from riders who have been outclassed earlier on the day.

Not that exciting imo.

I think it was as good as you get on a 100% asphalt race but I don't think it was close to being as exciting as the cobbled classics usually are.

The follower group was unluckily constellated, though. Astana and Mitchelton-Scott were the only teams with more than one rider but the four riders from those teams were the four weakest riders in the group, so Martínez was never going to get any help.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

13 Oct 2018 20:42

tobydawq wrote:it helps the race that riders of the calibre of Oliver Zaugg don't win anymore.

This *100
kingjr

13 Oct 2018 20:44

If they wait until the Civiglio I think the race ends up having the same result, except that Bernal and Roglic probably finish somewhere else.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Oct 2018 20:53

Zaugg wasn't weak that day, though. He was one of the strongest, which is what made that result bizarre.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

13 Oct 2018 21:02

Red Rick wrote:If they wait until the Civiglio I think the race ends up having the same result, except that Bernal and Roglic probably finish somewhere else.

Depends how they raced the sormano.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

Re:

13 Oct 2018 21:03

GuyIncognito wrote:Zaugg wasn't weak that day, though. He was one of the strongest, which is what made that result bizarre.

Yea, and he was strong in 12 as well. 11 had weird monument winners excluding Gilbert.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2018 21:18

SHAD0W93 wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:Zaugg wasn't weak that day, though. He was one of the strongest, which is what made that result bizarre.

Yea, and he was strong in 12 as well. 11 had weird monument winners excluding Gilbert.

Amen to that.

But still, that win was Zaugg's only single one ever as a professional. Yesterday, I went through the current riders who have only one win to see if anyone was close to having as peculiar a palmares as did Zaugg. Tiesj Benoot won with his Strade Bianche in front of George Bennett and Brice Feillu. However, none of their victories are close to matching Zaugg's.

But I agree, Zaugg didn't gain that win through pure luck. It was well-earned. Still, all the riders who were remotely close to the front today were well-established.

Honestly I don't know if it tells more of a change of the race than it confirms the fact that Zaugg had a freakish day seven years ago.
Last edited by tobydawq on 13 Oct 2018 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar tobydawq

13 Oct 2018 21:18

Update. :D
User avatar Alexandre B.

13 Oct 2018 21:23

SHAD0W93 wrote:

Yeah. San Remo for Mr. Ate all the pies, Flanders to a major outsider, Roubaix to the BOTD and Lombardia to Zaugg.

Even Gilbert survived the longer climbs of Liege for the only time in his life...well except 2009 when he was in the winning move with Andy Schleck and decided to stop and wait for the chasers because he thought the move was doomed. That was dumb.

tobydawq wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:

Amen to that.

But still, that win was Zaugg's only single one ever as a professional. Yesterday, I went through the current riders who have only one win to see if anyone was close to having as peculiar a palmares as did Zaugg. Tiesj Benoot won with his Strade Bianche in front of George Bennett and Brice Feillu. However, none of their victories are close to matching Zaugg's.

But I agree, Zaugg didn't gain that win through pure luck. It was well-earned. Still, all the riders who were remotely close to the front today were well-established.

Honestly I don't know if it tells more of a change of the race than it confirms the fact thar Zaugg had a freakish day seven years ago.

I haven't watched that race in forever, but I remember discussing it that week and the prevailing opinion was that h had been the strongest. The only theory anyone could offer was that maybe everyone else was tired.

Alexandre B. wrote:Update. :D

I don't get it. Is there supposed to be a picture in your post?

edit: nevermind, i see the avatar now :)
User avatar GuyIncognito

13 Oct 2018 21:40

tobydawq wrote:
Flamin wrote:Obviously I'm not going to complain when the top favourites attack with 50k to go, but I really didn't see the 'great race' that many on here saw. From the moment Pinot and Nibali rode away, the race was already over and it would be a contest between them. Sure, Roglic and Bernal came back in the descent, but they were dropped uphill so the same was going to happen again on Civiglio. Furthermore, the chasing group's action was lame (from spectator view) though textbook stuff from riders who have been outclassed earlier on the day.

Not that exciting imo.

I think it was as good as you get on a 100% asphalt race but I don't think it was close to being as exciting as the cobbled classics usually are.

The follower group was unluckily constellated, though. Astana and Mitchelton-Scott were the only teams with more than one rider but the four riders from those teams were the four weakest riders in the group, so Martínez was never going to get any help.

well, if Woods had worked for Uran (or the other way around - but I'd think Uran should be the captain for Lombardia), there still would have been quite a good chance to bring it back together
User avatar search

Re:

13 Oct 2018 21:59

Alexandre B. wrote:Update. :D

Nice :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 Oct 2018 22:16

search wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Not that exciting imo.

well, if Woods had worked for Uran (or the other way around - but I'd think Uran should be the captain for Lombardia), there still would have been quite a good chance to bring it back together

Perhaps there would have been, theoretically speaking. However, I am yet to see a big classic where three of the biggest five pre-race favourites get away in a break with which they are mutually content and then blow it because a team that has more than one outsider manages to organise a chase where they sacrifice a rider that pre-race had been promised a free role.

It was never happening that Martínez would get help from either Urán or Woods and when it emerged that Woods had had a mechanical on the final descent, even I didn't know who of those two should have been ordered to domestique for the other. With the blessing of hindsight.
User avatar tobydawq

Re: Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

13 Oct 2018 22:57

So now that lombardia is over it's time to say good night. Wake me up in march :)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re: Il Lombardia, 241KM, 13th October (WT)

14 Oct 2018 00:09

Gigs_98 wrote:So now that lombardia is over it's time to say good night. Wake me up in march :)

Wanna skip the opening weekend next year? :p
Sestriere

14 Oct 2018 00:55

tobydawq wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:

Amen to that.

Honestly I don't know if it tells more of a change of the race than it confirms the fact that Zaugg had a freakish day seven years ago.

Zaugg was indeed the strongest when he won, so it was just a question of a sudden weird superform from a otherwise mediocre rider, and not about a random race. As I recall it at the time he was struggling for a contract for the next year when he won, so he must have been extremely motivated that week to finish his season well, and I think that 1 week of Italian races, highligted by the Lombardia win, did indeed prolongue his career by 5 years.
MADRAZO

14 Oct 2018 01:32

Zaugg is the most inexplicable winner of a really major one day race in decades, precisely because he won through strength rather than extreme luck. Sometimes weird things happen because of tactical screw ups in classics, but some random nobody killing everyone really doesn’t very often. He was the best rider in a big race precisely once in his career but he really made it count.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

14 Oct 2018 01:41

Lombardia is such a depressing race. I couldn't care less for track cycling, I don't care about Turkey and China and the likes and I occasionally watch cross if I dont have anything to do at all. Then comes a bad race like TDU around and I watch it as its il Giro until I realize it sucks balls as well. Then comes February and proper racing starts again, thats 4 months, 1/3 of the year!

Guess I'll have to watch a bit of basketball and biathlon
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

14 Oct 2018 03:47

Valv.Piti wrote:Lombardia is such a depressing race. I couldn't care less for track cycling, I don't care about Turkey and China and the likes and I occasionally watch cross if I dont have anything to do at all. Then comes a bad race like TDU around and I watch it as its il Giro until I realize it sucks balls as well. Then comes February and proper racing starts again, thats 4 months, 1/3 of the year!

European Cup rugby started this weekend, and there'll be international rugby throughout November.

Basketball? Don't do that to yourself.
Leinster

Re:

14 Oct 2018 03:51

Not that exciting imo.

I thought it was a good race, but yes, it's frustrating that the chase group couldn't put in any sort of coordinated effort between them. You'd think at least once Valverde got dropped, a few of the others would realise that they wouldn't just be towing him to the line, and working with Martin might actually make sense.

And yeah, there was Izagirre and Pozzo in the group, marking the chases, but c'mon. Who's ever lost a race by towing Pozzovivo to the line?
Leinster

Re:

14 Oct 2018 06:19

Valv.Piti wrote:Lombardia is such a depressing race. I couldn't care less for track cycling, I don't care about Turkey and China and the likes and I occasionally watch cross if I dont have anything to do at all. Then comes a bad race like TDU around and I watch it as its il Giro until I realize it sucks balls as well. Then comes February and proper racing starts again, thats 4 months, 1/3 of the year!

Oh please ! Don't start bashing the TDU until January otherwise I will have to get myself some happy pills..........
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing