Log in:  

Register

PREDICTION 2019

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

PREDICTION 2019

14 Oct 2018 00:47

After a beautiful version of Ill Lombardia, the World Tour season is almost over. Unofficially over for some of us. With the coming of winter in November and December, it's time to look into the crystal ball and think about the last remaining question: What will 2019 bring us?

The rules are the same as last year: 1 point for winner in one day races, 2 points for exact place on podium in GT, 1 point for podium placing in GT. I've added green, polka dots and white jerseys for the biggest stage race, the Tour. 1 point for each.

Giro: 1 2 3

Tour: 1 2 3
Green jersey:
Polka dots:
White jersey:

Vuelta: 1 2 3

Strade:
Sanremo:
Ronde:
Roubaix:
Amstel:
Fleche:
Liege:
Lombardia:
Worlds:
Worlds ITT:
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

14 Oct 2018 01:00

Giro: 1. Simon Yates, 2. Thomas, 3. Pinot

Tour: 1. Froome, 2. Dumolin 3. Lopéz
Green jersey: Sagan
Polka dots: Porte (lulz)
White jersey: Lopéz?

Vuelta: 1. Mas 2. Bernal 3. Quintana

Strade: Valverde
Sanremo: Sagan
Ronde: Valgren
Roubaix: Stuyven
Amstel: Wellens
Fleche: Valverde
Liege: Alaphillipe
Lombardia: Nibali
Worlds: Colbrelli
Worlds ITT: Dennis
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

14 Oct 2018 01:37

Remco Evenepoel - All of the above
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,944
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

14 Oct 2018 02:04

Some of their targets should be quite obvious. Froome wants a 5th Grand Tour to make it into the history books. So Thomas will target pink next year since the Giro suits him better than the Vuelta and it's a bigger race. I'm sure Thomas will show up in the Tour to honour the jersey and act as a superdom (or joker if Froome fails to deliver).

The rest of the riders get to co-lead the Vuelta with Bernal already emerging as the strongest of the rest.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

14 Oct 2018 02:15

Another big question: Will Valverde finally debut in De Ronde? It's almost a meme in here.

I'd love to see him do a real classics campaign: Omloop, Strade, Sanremo, E3, Dwars, De Ronde and the Ardennes. But I've heard that he is planning doing a lot of one-week races (including Abu Dubai :mad: ) and the Giro. It's too much racing, even for Valverde.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

14 Oct 2018 02:57

Giro: 1. Nibali 2. Pinot 3. S. Yates
Tour: 1. Dumolin 2. Mas 3. Froome
Green jersey: sagan
Polka dots: Barguil
White jersey: Mas

Vuelta: 1. A. Yates 2. Nibali 3. Bernal

Strade: Valverde
Sanremo: Gilbert
Ronde: GVA
Roubaix: Sagan
Amstel: Kreuziger
Fleche: Valverde
Liege: Valverde
Lombardia: Pinot
Worlds: Sagan
Worlds ITT: Dennis
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 844
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re: PREDICTION 2019

14 Oct 2018 08:37

Giro:
1Bardet 2Lopez 3Sosa

Tour: 1Dumoulin 2Bernal 3Pinot
Green jersey:Sagan
Polka dots:a french -> Martin ?
White jersey:Bernal

Vuelta: 1Quintana 2Mas 3S. Yates

Strade: Wout van Aert
Sanremo: Sagan
Ronde: Pedersen Mads
Roubaix: Vanmarcke
Amstel: Sagan
Fleche: Alaphilippe
Liege: Martin
Lombardia: Pinot
Worlds: Hodeg
Worlds ITT: Dennis
User avatar dercuforever
New Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 20 Jul 2017 22:15

Re: PREDICTION 2019

14 Oct 2018 08:46

Isn't this thread a bit premature? I mean we don't even know the routes yet and have no idea which rider is gonna do which race
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,765
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: PREDICTION 2019

14 Oct 2018 11:53

Gigs_98 wrote:Isn't this thread a bit premature? I mean we don't even know the routes yet and have no idea which rider is gonna do which race


Yes. I also think it is too early. But as tips can be presented before the starts of the first race on the list it does not matter.
User avatar SKSemtex
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,148
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re: PREDICTION 2019

14 Oct 2018 12:54

Gigs_98 wrote:Isn't this thread a bit premature? I mean we don't even know the routes yet and have no idea which rider is gonna do which race

Feel free to come back later. Perhaps just before TDU.

The bravest gamblers make their bets early.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re:

14 Oct 2018 16:10

Velolover2 wrote:Another big question: Will Valverde finally debut in De Ronde? It's almost a meme in here.

I'd love to see him do a real classics campaign: Omloop, Strade, Sanremo, E3, Dwars, De Ronde and the Ardennes. But I've heard that he is planning doing a lot of one-week races (including Abu Dubai :mad: ) and the Giro. It's too much racing, even for Valverde.



Yes, the problem of Valverde. He wants to race everything and his fans want him to race everything, but doing so it overkill. However the only 1 week stage races he specifically has mentioned are Abu Dabi (for some unknown reason instead of Andalucia, which makes more sense) and Catalonia. Then Murcia being a 2 day race next year. I think most of us would prefer to see him do a real full on classics campaign and throw in Andalucia and Catalonia as stage races. He has said he a few times now that he wants the Giro/Vuelta double and does not want to go to the Tour.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,916
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 07:00

Koronin wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Another big question: Will Valverde finally debut in De Ronde? It's almost a meme in here.

I'd love to see him do a real classics campaign: Omloop, Strade, Sanremo, E3, Dwars, De Ronde and the Ardennes. But I've heard that he is planning doing a lot of one-week races (including Abu Dubai :mad: ) and the Giro. It's too much racing, even for Valverde.



Yes, the problem of Valverde. He wants to race everything and his fans want him to race everything, but doing so it overkill. However the only 1 week stage races he specifically has mentioned are Abu Dabi (for some unknown reason instead of Andalucia, which makes more sense) and Catalonia. Then Murcia being a 2 day race next year. I think most of us would prefer to see him do a real full on classics campaign and throw in Andalucia and Catalonia as stage races. He has said he a few times now that he wants the Giro/Vuelta double and does not want to go to the Tour.


The problem last year was that he peaked too early in March. In Abu Dubai and Catalunya, he was in invincible. Also the main reason he was equal to the specialists in Dwars door Vlaanderen. You could put him in Paris-Roubaix and he'll still be good with his amazing March shape.

But he kinda faded in the Ardennes. Need to time it better next year if he want to race the Giro as well.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 22:01

Velolover2 wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Another big question: Will Valverde finally debut in De Ronde? It's almost a meme in here.

I'd love to see him do a real classics campaign: Omloop, Strade, Sanremo, E3, Dwars, De Ronde and the Ardennes. But I've heard that he is planning doing a lot of one-week races (including Abu Dubai :mad: ) and the Giro. It's too much racing, even for Valverde.



Yes, the problem of Valverde. He wants to race everything and his fans want him to race everything, but doing so it overkill. However the only 1 week stage races he specifically has mentioned are Abu Dabi (for some unknown reason instead of Andalucia, which makes more sense) and Catalonia. Then Murcia being a 2 day race next year. I think most of us would prefer to see him do a real full on classics campaign and throw in Andalucia and Catalonia as stage races. He has said he a few times now that he wants the Giro/Vuelta double and does not want to go to the Tour.


The problem last year was that he peaked too early in March. In Abu Dubai and Catalunya, he was in invincible. Also the main reason he was equal to the specialists in Dwars door Vlaanderen. You could put him in Paris-Roubaix and he'll still be good with his amazing March shape.

But he kinda faded in the Ardennes. Need to time it better next year if he want to race the Giro as well.



He did actually did that because he was scared about how he would be when he came back to racing. He was scared his knee wasn't going to react well to racing and wanted to be close to top shape so he could test his knee. Without the injury he wouldn't have been peaking in February.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,916
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

16 Oct 2018 05:34

Giro: Thomas
Tour: Froome
Vuelta: Bernal

Strade: Bardet
Sanremo: Sagan
Ronde: Sagan
Roubaix: Sagan
Amstel: Valverde
Fleche: Matthews
Liege: Alaphilippe
Lombardia: Nibali
Worlds: Sagan
Worlds ITT: Dennis
WheelofGear
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 13 May 2015 06:46

16 Oct 2018 16:42

Giro: 1 Nibali 2 Kruijswijk 3 Chaves

Tour: 1 Dumoulin 2 Froome 3 S.Yates
Green jersey: Sagan
Polka dots: Woods
White jersey: Bernal

Vuelta: 1 Mas 2 S.Yates 3 Kruijswijk

Strade: M. Van der Poel
Sanremo: Sagan
Ronde: Naesen
Roubaix: M. Van der Poel
Amstel: Matthews
Fleche: Alaphilippe
Liege: Dumoulin
Lombardia: Bernal
Worlds: Sagan
Worlds ITT: Bjerg
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,042
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

16 Oct 2018 16:57

I predict the Tour will be the worst GT of the year.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,668
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

16 Oct 2018 17:49

Red Rick wrote:I predict the Tour will be the worst GT of the year.


Thats not really a prediction, its almost a certainty these days. :D
User avatar Akuryo
Member
 
Posts: 1,543
Joined: 19 Apr 2014 10:20
Location: OWL, Germany

Re:

16 Oct 2018 18:07

Red Rick wrote:I predict the Tour will be the worst GT of the year.

What's next? Rafa winning RG?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,765
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: PREDICTION 2019

16 Oct 2018 18:08

Waaaay too early...we don't even know GT routes, and riders' racing calendars.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,155
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Re:

16 Oct 2018 18:17

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I predict the Tour will be the worst GT of the year.

What's next? Rafa winning RG?

Murray losing an Australian Open final probably
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,668
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], janraaskalt, MatParker117, The Tristero and 33 guests

Back to top